no surname issue?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Question

no surname issue?

Post by Question » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:16 pm

Does anybody know if it will cause problem if I don't have surname in passport neither in any documents??

no surname issue?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: no surname issue?

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:48 pm

Question wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:16 pm
Does anybody know if it will cause problem if I don't have surname in passport neither in any documents??
Under Finnish law everyone must have a surname. You will get a surname ”Surnameless”.

” Väestötietojärjestelmään voidaan tilapäisesti merkitä sukunimen sijasta sukunimetön ja etunimen sijasta etunimetön, jos rekisteröitävällä ei ole nimiä tietoja ensimmäisen kerran talletettaessa.”

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 70946#L2P4

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 00128#L1P1

Once resident you can choose a surname under Finnish law and rules.

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:47 pm

Beltegeuse is right.
If I could offer a piece of advice, in your shoes, I would 1st perform a legal name change in my country of origin, and make sure I have the official certificate , then step 2, have that certificate legally translated (with the translation notarized )in either Swedish, Finnish or English. And then I will apply to migri through enterFinland.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:51 pm

Maeke wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:47 pm
If I could offer a piece of advice, in your shoes, I would 1st perform a legal name change in my country of origin, and make sure I have the official certificate , then step 2, have that certificate legally translated (with the translation notarized )in either Swedish, Finnish or English. And then I will apply to migri through enterFinland.
You would want the certificate apostilled or legalised depending on which process the source country uses.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:52 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:51 pm
Maeke wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:47 pm
You would want the certificate apostilled or legalised depending on which process the source country uses.
You could skip all the hassle with the documents by getting a new passport with the new name.

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:59 pm

Hi Beltegeuse.
I don't know from which country that OP is from, but from what I understood, he legally has no surname. It is the case for example for Uyghurs in Xinjiang and some Tibetans.
But if it's just a matter of a missing surname in an ID document, then you are right, he can just re-do his passport. Way easier.
Regards,

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:16 pm

Maeke wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:59 pm
I don't know from which country that OP is from, but from what I understood, he legally has no surname. It is the case for example for Uyghurs in Xinjiang and some Tibetans.
But if it's just a matter of a missing surname in an ID document, then you are right, he can just re-do his passport. Way easier.
You misunderstood. My point is that when there is no entry in the population register yet, it's easier to have the first entry done from a passport with the new name instead of a passport with an old name plus paperwork related to the change of name.

Question

Post by Question » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:01 pm

Thank you for your replies.

I am from India and planning to come study to Finland. What do you recommend, should I try to get it added or come without. I am not sure if I’ll be able to add it to my school certificates so that might create issue then if I have surname in passport but not in school certficate..?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:30 pm

Question wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:01 pm
I am from India and planning to come study to Finland. What do you recommend, should I try to get it added or come without. I am not sure if I’ll be able to add it to my school certificates so that might create issue then if I have surname in passport but not in school certficate..?
It's common for names to change over a lifetime. You would just need the paperwork linking the names. What you should do depends on the name you want to be known as in India and Finland.