Moving to Helsinki unemployed for my Finnish fiance HELP

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Ketsuppi

Post by Ketsuppi » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:42 am

Hi guys,

So, here's my story. I've been living in Norway for the last 7 years and I'm originally from Romania. Met my fiance 10 years ago (online) and we stopped talking for a while. We started talking again for half a year and we decided to get married. We've met only once, but our connection is very deep and real.

I've been unemployed in Norway since last spring and have no assets or savings. I have a bachelor degree in philology and finishing my teaching degree (English teacher).

He just got a store job and lives with his parents, as he is 21 years old. I'm 27.

I want to move in Helsinki with him, in an apartment, and I have no idea how to make that happen as soon as possible, since I can't afford one. I also need a job and I've been trying to find one, but not much luck there.

I don't know what to do anymore to get us together and I was hoping that I could get some advice or anything here.

Thanks for reading!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Moving to Helsinki unemployed for my Finnish fiance HELP

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:22 pm

Ketsuppi wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:42 am
I've been unemployed in Norway since last spring and have no assets or savings. I have a bachelor degree in philology and finishing my teaching degree (English teacher).
Ketsuppi wrote:
I also need a job and I've been trying to find one, but not much luck there.
In Finland there are plenty of native English speakers who thought they could find work teaching English.
Getting enough hours to make a living is hard and takes a few years of good references.

How are your Finnish language skills?
A difference between Norway and Finland is that there are nearly no jobs without Finnish in Finland.

If your goal is that you live together and have jobs, then finding jobs for both of you in Norway will be much easier than finding a job for you in Finland.

inkku

Post by inkku » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:32 pm

you met your fiance when he was 11years old ?.... and you were 17....? during the last 10 years, you have met only once...? interesting.....

Ketsuppi

Post by Ketsuppi » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:36 pm

inkku wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:32 pm
you met your fiance when he was 11years old ?.... and you were 17....? during the last 10 years, you have met only once...? interesting.....
Yes. We got along really well and we were friends and we met for the first time a few months ago

sijazme

Post by sijazme » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:01 pm

Ketsuppi wrote:
He just got a store job and lives with his parents, as he is 21 years old. I'm 27.

I want to move in Helsinki with him, in an apartment, and I have no idea how to make that happen as soon as possible, since I can't afford one. I also need a job and I've been trying to find one, but not much luck there.

Thanks for reading!
Since you are Romanian citizen you don't need a residence permit anywhere in Europe.

You can use your English teaching skills more appropriately in more developing countries like Poland, Bulgaria, Romania.

In Finland, practically everyone speaks English. Norway is the same I would guess.

Also might consider dating someone your own age.