Simplest silent lonely job?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
sati108

Post by sati108 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:19 pm

Hei

Let's say someone is a foreigner and one needs to move Finland in near future. One knows baisc Finnish, good English, but also one is having social phobia and has few minor problems that makes him able to work easily in some kind of jobs and terrible in others.
In short such jobs where there is less interaction with people and less noise, etc. then the better.
Is there any such a job that such a person could find in Finland?

The money is not a matter as long as it's minimum sustainable for simples(ascetic) living money.
The only idea that came to my mind is some kind of guard or night guard, but I don't know if there are such jobs in Finland in general and what requirements there could be. In my country(one of EU) those kind of jobs are only for elder usually retired people and they get very little money.

Beside that, any other ideas?
Last edited by sati108 on Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Simplest silent lonely "horning" job?

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:24 pm

sati108 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:19 pm

Let's say someone is a foreigner and one needs to move Finland in near future. One knows baisc Finnish, good English, but also one is having social phobia and has few minor problems that makes him able to work easily in some kind of jobs and terrible in others.
In short such jobs where there is less interaction with people and less noise, etc. then the better.

The money is not a matter as long as it's minimum sustainable for simples(ascetic) living money.
The only idea that came to my mind is some kind of guard or night guard, but I don't know if there are such jobs in Finland in general and what requirements there could be. In my country(one of EU) those kind of jobs are only for elder usually retired people and they get very little money.

Beside that, any other ideas?
Postal delivery or cleaning. Is truck driving too noisy?

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:43 pm

sati108 wrote:
With fluent Finnish this person would be the description of a stereotypical Finn.
http://finnishnightmares.blogspot.com/2 ... ppens.html

In software development it is often possible to spend a whole day at the office without speaking a word with anyone.
A good thing about Finland is that it can be optional to say "Hi" to your coworkers when you arrive in the morning or "Goodbye" when you leave in the evening.
Headphones help against background noise.

Does "basic Finnish" mean that you would feel comfortable in a job interview in Finnish?
Outside IT it is nearly impossible to find any job unless you are able to work in Finnish.

sati108

Post by sati108 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:31 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Edited/deleted the "horning" from the topic tittle. I don't know what was that.

betelgeuse wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:24 pm
Postal delivery or cleaning. Is truck driving too noisy?
Cleaning sounds also ok and I guess it would be much easier to hire, bacause there is probably little lack of work force there.
Driving sounds like very stressful and loud.
Working in night also could be another benefit in my case.

FinlandGirl wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:43 pm
With fluent Finnish this person would be the description of a stereotypical Finn.
http://finnishnightmares.blogspot.com/2 ... ppens.html
Yeah, I think I might be a hidden Finn inside.

FinlandGirl wrote:
In software development it is often possible to spend a whole day at the office without speaking a word with anyone.
A good thing about Finland is that it can be optional to say "Hi" to your coworkers when you arrive in the morning or "Goodbye" when you leave in the evening.
Headphones help against background noise.
IT would be great obviously.
I don't know much about programming, but I have inclinations towards that, but I guess it would take at least a year to learn enough to be able to start for a basic job there.
And then even better, one could I guess find a remote job, so all mentioned and wanted things there, but I won't have time for that in near future.

FinlandGirl wrote:
Does "basic Finnish" mean that you would feel comfortable in a job interview in Finnish?
Outside IT it is nearly impossible to find any job unless you are able to work in Finnish.
Rather not. Not yet. Just basic conversations, quite slowly speaking etc.
Which such level, job in for eg. being a night guard still would usually require to know Finnish at communicative level so that I could attend the interview in Finnish?
Are there even such jobs in Finland and especially also open for foreigners?

FinlandGirl

Re: Simplest silent lonely job?

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:58 am

sati108 wrote:
In Finland you need around 1000 Euro per month after tax for living, and lowest salaries are around 1500 Euro before taxes.
The kind of cheap labour jobs you have in mind are mostly done by automatic (alarm) systems in Finland, a human night guard might be handling some manual tasks and checking alarms or people still on premises for many customers.
sati108 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:31 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Rather not. Not yet. Just basic conversations, quite slowly speaking etc.
Which such level, job in for eg. being a night guard still would usually require to know Finnish at communicative level so that I could attend the interview in Finnish?
A job where you have to argue with random people does require fluency in the language.
sati108 wrote:
Are there even such jobs in Finland and especially also open for foreigners?
Jobs that do not require Finnish are rare and with many applicants.

sati108

Post by sati108 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:40 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:58 am
Yeah, I have heard that from time to time, so thanks for stressing this and clarifying.

So I guess for someone like just disussed, one of the best bet would be for example cleaning services but searched on the Finnish market/offers and therefore learning it to the level where one could conduct basic job interview?
And one could still get a job there without much language, but the chances drops drastically?

rinso

Post by rinso » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:16 am

One knows baisc Finnish, good English, but also one is having social phobia and has few minor problems that makes him able to work easily in some kind of jobs and terrible in others.
This feels like a combination of troubling factors for an application. (employers will almost certainly turn you down if there is somebody else) On your own, it would a very difficult task to find a suitable job. You probably need some professional help in job seeking.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:00 pm

sati108 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:40 am
FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:58 am
Yeah, I have heard that from time to time, so thanks for stressing this and clarifying.

So I guess for someone like just disussed, one of the best bet would be for example cleaning services but searched on the Finnish market/offers and therefore learning it to the level where one could conduct basic job interview?
It is not about the job interview specifically.
It is about being able to work in a Finnish-only environment.
sati108 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:40 am
And one could still get a job there without much language, but the chances drops drastically?
Yes.

sati108

Post by sati108 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:54 am

Thank you all for the replies.

I was also starting to consider the option of learning some basic programming languages like JavaScript if maybe I could manage somehow time for that, but I don't have clear enought image about some areas in that matter and therefore if it could be considered worth doing.
I have some inclinations toward IT and some knowledge about computers etc, but first of all I don't know at all how long it could take to learn it to the point where I could start to search for a job, especially having no education in that matter.
(I am aware that it's quite common that in the IT they can look more on the actually skills etc rather than education, especially on advance IT).
I also wonder if the salary would be any much different at the begining comparing to the normal physical job or for how long it could be like that.

rinso

Post by rinso » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:44 pm

I am aware that it's quite common that in the IT they can look more on the actually skills etc rather than education, especially on advance IT
That is true. But since you have neither the education nor the work experience in IT, I think you'll have a low chance of success in finding an IT job.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:45 pm

sati108 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:54 am
I was also starting to consider the option of learning some basic programming languages like JavaScript if maybe I could manage somehow time for that, but I don't have clear enought image about some areas in that matter and therefore if it could be considered worth doing.
I have some inclinations toward IT and some knowledge about computers etc, but first of all I don't know at all how long it could take to learn it to the point where I could start to search for a job, especially having no education in that matter.
(I am aware that it's quite common that in the IT they can look more on the actually skills etc rather than education, especially on advance IT).
Best way is enthusiasm in some area, the rest comes automatically when you've spent all your spare time on this hobby for a year or two.
sati108 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:54 am
I also wonder if the salary would be any much different at the begining comparing to the normal physical job or for how long it could be like that.
No-skill jobs pay 1500-2000 Euro per month when working full-time, and there is no upwards path.
Software development salaries are between 3000 and 6000 Euro depending on skillset and experience.

irnbru

Post by irnbru » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:57 pm

sati108 wrote:
Not really. I work in Software Development and get hassled multiple times a day. Nowadays most companies use Agile which means you're working with 4-5 other people in a team straight off. Then there are all the other departments and global offices that hassle you all day.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:42 pm

irnbru wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:57 pm
sati108 wrote:
Not really. I work in Software Development and get hassled multiple times a day. Nowadays most companies use Agile which means you're working with 4-5 other people in a team straight off.
In practice the "team" part often just means that there is a short meeting in the morning where everyone tells the work status.
irnbru wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:57 pm
Then there are all the other departments and global offices that hassle you all day.
Sounds like a company with bad management.
With good management such requests are sent to your manager whose job it is to shield developers from such hassles.

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:31 pm

With good management such requests are sent to your manager whose job it is to shield developers from such hassles.
When the client is unhappy, there will be a hassle. Companies that put their employers before their clients will lose contracts.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:13 pm

rinso wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:31 pm
When the client is unhappy, there will be a hassle. Companies that put their employers before their clients will lose contracts.
It does not benefit any client when an employee is interrupted from working several times per day with low-priority requests from random places in the company. The manager is responsible for immediately forwarding only urgent requests, and scheduling the rest for an appropriate time.