Jobs for an English speaking teacher in Tampere

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
UllaMs

Post by UllaMs » Wed May 20, 2009 3:48 am

Hi,
Myself and my boyfriend are thinking of moving to Tampere. I want to study in Tampere university, my mother is Finnish so I can speak Finnish. My boyfriend is an English teacher, he is Irish and has no Finnish at the moment but is willing to learn. Ideally he would like to work in an english speaking school-does somewhere like this exist in Tampere?
Ulla.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: Jobs for an English speaking teacher in Tampere

Post by Rosamunda » Wed May 20, 2009 9:27 am

Tampere has an IB school:

http://lukiot.tampere.fi/lyseo/

And here is the list of ALL the schools in Tampere: http://www.tampere.fi/koulutusjaopiskelu/koulut.html

One or two of them will be bilingual schools, but sorry, I don't know which.

smilez

Post by smilez » Sat May 23, 2009 8:51 pm

Hi Ulla,

There are a couple of english speaking schools in Tampere, i know that Enkku are looking for teachers to start in August and they will be going through applications now so if you are serious then emailing this week will be necessary.
The main school is Enkku www.enkku.net and the other one is the early education centre.

Hope this is useful
Smilez

Clubcountry

Post by Clubcountry » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:32 pm

Hi there. I'd like to open this thread back up.
I'm in the same exact position where my SO is looking for a teaching job in Tampere whilst I'm Finnish. He will have citizenship soon.

He teaches high-school English and any resources would be more than welcome! It doesn't have to be an English speaking school, rather even just an English teacher position in a Finnish high school will do. Thanks in advance for all your help,

Em.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:29 am

Clubcountry wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:32 pm
He will have citizenship soon.
Are his Finnish skills sufficient for teaching at a Finnish school?
Clubcountry wrote:
He teaches high-school English and any resources would be more than welcome! It doesn't have to be an English speaking school, rather even just an English teacher position in a Finnish high school will do.
For what kind of positions is he qualified to work?
https://www.oph.fi/sites/default/files/ ... tion_1.pdf

Clubcountry

Post by Clubcountry » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:27 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:29 am
Clubcountry wrote:
He will have citizenship soon.
Are his Finnish skills sufficient for teaching at a Finnish school?
Clubcountry wrote:
He teaches high-school English and any resources would be more than welcome! It doesn't have to be an English speaking school, rather even just an English teacher position in a Finnish high school will do.
For what kind of positions is he qualified to work?
https://www.oph.fi/sites/default/files/ ... tion_1.pdf
He hasn't picked up enough Finnish yet so he definitely couldn't teach in Finnish. However he is qualified to teach highschool English with a bachelors degree in English lit and teaching plus years of experience.
The worrying thing is, are you able to teach English in a Finnish school without knowing much Finnish and how would you get these jobs, especially in Tampere.

Thank you so much for the resource though, I didn't know about this qualification thing here. I'll check that out as soon as possible you've been very helpful.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:41 pm

Clubcountry wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:27 pm
However he is qualified to teach highschool English with a bachelors degree in English lit and teaching plus years of experience.
If the qualification is from another EU/EEA country Finland has to accept it.
Non-EU/EEA qualifications must be comparable to the Master required from Finnish teachers.
Clubcountry wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:27 pm
are you able to teach English in a Finnish school without knowing much Finnish
The same language certificate requirements apply that are required when a Finnish-speaking Finn wants to teach English in a Swedish school in Finland.