Moving to Finland from England

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Kaipa

Post by Kaipa » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:23 pm

Good morning,

I'm planning on emigrating to Finland from England at the end of this year (2020) however I need some clarification on certain things which I hope you guys can help with.

I have a Finnish partner who lives in central Finland whom I would move in with. I do not speak Finnish but would intend on learning the language to better my chances of getting work and integrate within Finnish society. I currently own a house in England and would intend on renting that out whilst I live in Finland to cover the mortgage. Would this effect my right to claim benefits whilst being in Finland?

I'm currently looking into eligibility for moving to Finland. Me and my partner haven't lived together for 2+ years and I don't have degree level education/current plans to go into higher education in Finland. Me and my partner are intending on getting married at some point so how would this affect things and would it need to be done before Dec 2020? Would being engaged be enough for a residence permit?

I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing back from you,

Regards

Kaipa
Last edited by Kaipa on Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Moving to Finland from England

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:08 pm

Kaipa wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:23 pm
I'm planning on emigrating to Finland from England at the end of this year (2020) however I need some clarification on certain things which I hope you guys can help with.
Are you British?
Kaipa wrote:
I have a Finnish partner who lives in central Finland whom I would move in with. I do not speak Finnish but would intend on learning the language to better my chances of getting work and integrate within Finnish society. I currently own a house in England and would intend on renting that out whilst I live in Finland to cover the mortgage. Would this effect my right to claim benefits whilst being in Finland?
Varies per benefit. Some take capital income into account and some don't.
Kaipa wrote:
I'm currently looking into eligibility for moving to Finland. Me and my partner haven't lived together for 2+ years and I don't have degree level education/current plans to go into higher education in Finland. Me and my partner are intending on getting married at some point so how would this affect things and would it need to be done before Dec 2020? Would being engaged be enough for a residence permit?
Marriage does make a residence permit more straightforward but if you are an EEA citizen, the first option is using free movement rules.

Kaipa

Post by Kaipa » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:47 pm

Thanks for your response betelgeuse. Yes I am British. Would being engaged be accepted in the same way marriage would for a resident permit?

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:49 pm

Kaipa wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:47 pm
Would being engaged be accepted in the same way marriage would
In Finland marriage can be a pretty loose and temporary thing - if you do not like your spouse anymore or found a better partner just file for divorce and 6 months later you are single again. The court does not care why you filed for divorce and no consent is required from your spouse.

The intention to marry creates much weaker rights.

Kaipa

Post by Kaipa » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:15 pm

I am very serious with my partner, we’ve been together for 4 years however not lived together for 2 years+. Could my resident application be accepted for being engaged only?

The only reason I ask is I don’t like the feeling of now having to rush marriage before 30th Dec 2020 just so I can move to Finland

Kaipa

Post by Kaipa » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:24 pm

I have read the following on www.migri.fi/en/eu-citizen

“You may also register on the grounds that you have sufficient funds to live in Finland, or, in other words, you will not need to rely on social assistance.”

If I understand correctly as long as I have enough money (which I do) that would mean we wouldn’t need to get married for me to get a resident permit?

rinso

Post by rinso » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:39 am

If I understand correctly as long as I have enough money (which I do) that would mean we wouldn’t need to get married for me to get a resident permit?
"Other grouds" is a tricky one. The decision depends on interpretation, not on quantifiable rules. "Enough money" should translate into a reasonable monthly income.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:51 am

rinso wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:39 am
"Other grouds" is a tricky one. The decision depends on interpretation, not on quantifiable rules. "Enough money" should translate into a reasonable monthly income.
It doesn’t need to provide a regular cash flow. As long as assets can be turned into cash as a backup they will be enough.

Kaipa

Post by Kaipa » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:00 pm

So it sounds like I could get a resident permit on “other grounds” since between me and my partner I will have enough money to show I can survive there.

Does anyone know about my question regarding being able to claim benefits if I am renting my house out in England or it it would affect in any way getting the benefits?

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:27 pm

Kaipa wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:00 pm
Does anyone know about my question regarding being able to claim benefits if I am renting my house out in England or it it would affect in any way getting the benefits?
You own a house, but your biggest worry is eligibility to receive welfare payments paid from our taxes.
In case you haven't already noticed yourself, you come across as greedy.

rinso

Post by rinso » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:36 am

regarding being able to claim benefits
Remember: "other grounds" -> not relying on social assistance?

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:54 pm

Are you able to be self employed?

Kaipa

Post by Kaipa » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:06 am

I would study Finnish once there but other than that wouldn’t have any income other than savings - therefore would I not be able to claim benefits if I got a resident permit on “other grounds” on the basis I have savings?

Kaipa

Post by Kaipa » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:44 pm

In terms of getting a resident permit on "other grounds" how long would I be expected to support myself before I could claim benefits? Surely the Finnish government wouldn't expect immigrants to have an unlimited amount of cash flow whilst looking for work/learning the language.

Regarding work - what is the likelihood of finding work which I can do just speaking English? I would be moving to central Finland.

Understandingly my partner does not want the financial burden/responsibility of looking after both of us for the rest of our lives so I'm trying to figure out the realistic options and possibilities of me living there.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:09 pm

Kaipa wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:44 pm
In terms of getting a resident permit on "other grounds" how long would I be expected to support myself before I could claim benefits? Surely the Finnish government wouldn't expect immigrants to have an unlimited amount of cash flow whilst looking for work/learning the language.
Government expects one to get a job then move, not move then get a job. Especially if you are coming from outside of EU. And then you don't apply for permit on other grounds, you'll apply based on the job.
Kaipa wrote:
Regarding work - what is the likelihood of finding work which I can do just speaking English? I would be moving to central Finland.
Better, but comparable to, what I would have if I moved to England and just spoke Finnish.
Kaipa wrote:
Understandingly my partner does not want the financial burden/responsibility of looking after both of us for the rest of our lives so I'm trying to figure out the realistic options and possibilities of me living there.
If you are aiming for dole, as it seems, you'll get married and apply for RP based on family ties and get to integration program with Finnish courses and whatnot.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.