Citizenship Application 2019

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Post Reply
finblack
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:53 pm

Re: Citizenship Application 2019

Post by finblack » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:06 pm

I just need to get my EU permanent residence . Looks like the citizenship can wait . I don't have time to be checking on the websites for update about my citizenship. Kinda depressed with the whole thing. Even EU permanent, it says 1 to 3 months which I strongly doubts. If we work and pay our bills, we are supposed to be treated fairly ...



Re: Citizenship Application 2019

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

Finland2015
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: Citizenship Application 2019

Post by Finland2015 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:00 am

rohit_ghnp wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:54 pm
Finland2015 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:13 pm
I have lived in Finland for 7 and half years, 3 years on B permit and 4 and a half years on A permit. So, I have sufficient time of residence even more than it is required. The only weak point of my application is that I have taken social security benefits for 1 year. Even then I was doing a part time job. Right now I am doing a part time job which might be a reason for delay....But if we see rules there is no such rule regarding citizenship application, but migri's rule are completely different. They follow their own rules which even we don't know...
If you talk about weak point for me I stayed one period of 11.5 months (less than a year) outside Finland. Lived here in total 4 years in B and 3 years in A now. (Excluding that 11.5 months). Other trips less than 1 month. Travelled 28 days, 30 days, 10 days, 3 days and 5 days (last 3 within Europe). Applied mid march and still stage 1. Are they even going to open my file?? Some of my friends applied on September got theirs already.
You have completed the total residence period, so I don't see anything wrong in it. If you have a full time job then I don't think there is anything wrong with your application.

tavastia
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Citizenship Application 2019

Post by tavastia » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:01 am

Finland2015 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:00 am
rohit_ghnp wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:54 pm
Finland2015 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:13 pm
I have lived in Finland for 7 and half years, 3 years on B permit and 4 and a half years on A permit. So, I have sufficient time of residence even more than it is required. The only weak point of my application is that I have taken social security benefits for 1 year. Even then I was doing a part time job. Right now I am doing a part time job which might be a reason for delay....But if we see rules there is no such rule regarding citizenship application, but migri's rule are completely different. They follow their own rules which even we don't know...
If you talk about weak point for me I stayed one period of 11.5 months (less than a year) outside Finland. Lived here in total 4 years in B and 3 years in A now. (Excluding that 11.5 months). Other trips less than 1 month. Travelled 28 days, 30 days, 10 days, 3 days and 5 days (last 3 within Europe). Applied mid march and still stage 1. Are they even going to open my file?? Some of my friends applied on September got theirs already.
You have completed the total residence period, so I don't see anything wrong in it. If you have a full time job then I don't think there is anything wrong with your application.
Having a job is not a requirement for citizenship application.

Rei_22
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:41 pm

Re: Citizenship Application 2019

Post by Rei_22 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:58 pm

Hi everyone,

is there anyone who has received a work permit recently ( after Juni 2019 )

Finland2015
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: Citizenship Application 2019

Post by Finland2015 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:51 am

tavastia wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:01 am
Finland2015 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:00 am
rohit_ghnp wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:54 pm


If you talk about weak point for me I stayed one period of 11.5 months (less than a year) outside Finland. Lived here in total 4 years in B and 3 years in A now. (Excluding that 11.5 months). Other trips less than 1 month. Travelled 28 days, 30 days, 10 days, 3 days and 5 days (last 3 within Europe). Applied mid march and still stage 1. Are they even going to open my file?? Some of my friends applied on September got theirs already.
You have completed the total residence period, so I don't see anything wrong in it. If you have a full time job then I don't think there is anything wrong with your application.

Having a job is not a requirement for citizenship application.
Source of income is a requirement for citizenship application....

heretostay
Posts: 337
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Citizenship Application 2019

Post by heretostay » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:59 am

There are several other possible sources of income than a job. Also the job does not have to be full time for citizenship. You just have to show how you have legally supported yourself while living in Finland.

Finland2015
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: Citizenship Application 2019

Post by Finland2015 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:51 am

italosuomalainen wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:50 pm
Hi all,

For those who are on this thread regularly: you may recall that mine has been the application that's been an ongoing saga for over a year, my having started the process last year August 16, 2018. At that point, I had lived in Finland for four years, and was hoping to get a decision based on language ability (I passed the ylin taso kielikoe at the C1 level) and on the "kiinteät siteet" criterion (I'd been gainfully employed the entire four years, and still am).

Maahanmuuttovirasto (MMV) had asked me to send in my passport April 3, 2019, ostensibly to do an authenticity check. And then they proceeded to sit on it for four months, until I told them to return it - I needed it for travel outside of the Schengen area. MMV did indeed return it to me - but with the caveat that they would likely ask me to return it to them upon my return to Finland.

Not knowing whether MMV would indeed return my passport to me in time enough for me to travel, I had applied for a new passport from my embassy. (It turns out I received my passport back from MMV the day before my scheduled visit to my embassy.) The new passport I got in less than two weeks. The embassy returned my old one to me invalidated, along with the new one, and I went on my trip.

Sure enough, upon my return to Finland, I was asked to return my passport to MMV, again for the ostensible authenticity check. This time, I was forewarned that the authenticity check could take several months.

So I did send in my passport agan, this past Monday, Sep 30 - albeit the passport that had been invalidated. (This is the one they asked for by passport number, after all. Cheeky on my part, I know.)

In addition to returning that now invalidated passport to them, however, I also sent a letter (registered mail) to the director of Citizenship Affairs at MMV. I summarized the sequence of events of my application, and told him that

1) In the time my application had been under review, I'd passed the five-year asumisaika mark, and could now qualify based on that.
2) The fact that I obtained a new passport (for which I enclosed a photocopy) in less than two weeks from my embassy should be a pretty strong indicator that my old passport is indeed authentic (albeit no longer valid).
3) I also intimated to him that the MMV is not the competent authority for determining the authenticity of passports that Finland didn't issue, and if the authenticity of mine was in doubt, to please contact my embassy, which represents the competent authority for issuing and authenticating passports of my home country.

I even went so far as to state that this prolonged authenticity check smacked of the MMV exercising arbitrary authority.

I guess my gamble paid off/my letter to the head of Citizenship Affairs must have worked, since as of 9:20 this morning, I am a Finnish citizen. 8)

In other words: I was likely correct in my assumption that, for my application, I drew a particularly persnickety processing officer, who indeed may very well have been exercising arbitrary authority.

I'll admit that when I received the alert this morning that a decision had been made on my application, I was very nervous. I had no way of knowing whether MMV would take my reasoning to heart and act in my favor, or tell me to go screw myself. Consider that the decision to accept or reject an application is entirely at the discretion of the respective processing officer. Therefore, I suppose those officers can reject applications if the applicant farts in the wrong key, even if they fulfill the prerequisites for Finnish citizenship. So I don't know whether I would universally recommend my approach of taking one's case to the head of Citizenship Affairs.

On the other hand, I think I am pretty good at spotting arbitrarily wielded authority when I encounter it - and I'm told it's not uncommon in Nordic countries to take one's complaints to the top of a given organization. Which in my case, appears to have worked. Note that my application did fulfill every last prerequisite per the letter of kansalaisuuslaki, so I did have that in my favor.

Anyhow, here I am, a newly minted Finnish citizen. To those who are still waiting for a decision, I wish you the best of luck!

(Aside - I wonder whether MMV will return my invalidated passport to me. Not that I'm all that fussed about it...)
I just read this case where the application took 14 months and the reason was that migri was not satisfied with the authenticity of the passport. The applicant wrote a letter to the Director of citizenship affairs and then he got the decision quickly.

So it shows that migri officials are incompetent, even the director realizes this fact......what a pity!!!!

Alexx1111
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:29 pm

Re: Citizenship Application 2019

Post by Alexx1111 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:42 am

Finland2015 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:51 am
italosuomalainen wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:50 pm
Hi all,

For those who are on this thread regularly: you may recall that mine has been the application that's been an ongoing saga for over a year, my having started the process last year August 16, 2018. At that point, I had lived in Finland for four years, and was hoping to get a decision based on language ability (I passed the ylin taso kielikoe at the C1 level) and on the "kiinteät siteet" criterion (I'd been gainfully employed the entire four years, and still am).

Maahanmuuttovirasto (MMV) had asked me to send in my passport April 3, 2019, ostensibly to do an authenticity check. And then they proceeded to sit on it for four months, until I told them to return it - I needed it for travel outside of the Schengen area. MMV did indeed return it to me - but with the caveat that they would likely ask me to return it to them upon my return to Finland.

Not knowing whether MMV would indeed return my passport to me in time enough for me to travel, I had applied for a new passport from my embassy. (It turns out I received my passport back from MMV the day before my scheduled visit to my embassy.) The new passport I got in less than two weeks. The embassy returned my old one to me invalidated, along with the new one, and I went on my trip.

Sure enough, upon my return to Finland, I was asked to return my passport to MMV, again for the ostensible authenticity check. This time, I was forewarned that the authenticity check could take several months.

So I did send in my passport agan, this past Monday, Sep 30 - albeit the passport that had been invalidated. (This is the one they asked for by passport number, after all. Cheeky on my part, I know.)

In addition to returning that now invalidated passport to them, however, I also sent a letter (registered mail) to the director of Citizenship Affairs at MMV. I summarized the sequence of events of my application, and told him that

1) In the time my application had been under review, I'd passed the five-year asumisaika mark, and could now qualify based on that.
2) The fact that I obtained a new passport (for which I enclosed a photocopy) in less than two weeks from my embassy should be a pretty strong indicator that my old passport is indeed authentic (albeit no longer valid).
3) I also intimated to him that the MMV is not the competent authority for determining the authenticity of passports that Finland didn't issue, and if the authenticity of mine was in doubt, to please contact my embassy, which represents the competent authority for issuing and authenticating passports of my home country.

I even went so far as to state that this prolonged authenticity check smacked of the MMV exercising arbitrary authority.

I guess my gamble paid off/my letter to the head of Citizenship Affairs must have worked, since as of 9:20 this morning, I am a Finnish citizen. 8)

In other words: I was likely correct in my assumption that, for my application, I drew a particularly persnickety processing officer, who indeed may very well have been exercising arbitrary authority.

I'll admit that when I received the alert this morning that a decision had been made on my application, I was very nervous. I had no way of knowing whether MMV would take my reasoning to heart and act in my favor, or tell me to go screw myself. Consider that the decision to accept or reject an application is entirely at the discretion of the respective processing officer. Therefore, I suppose those officers can reject applications if the applicant farts in the wrong key, even if they fulfill the prerequisites for Finnish citizenship. So I don't know whether I would universally recommend my approach of taking one's case to the head of Citizenship Affairs.

On the other hand, I think I am pretty good at spotting arbitrarily wielded authority when I encounter it - and I'm told it's not uncommon in Nordic countries to take one's complaints to the top of a given organization. Which in my case, appears to have worked. Note that my application did fulfill every last prerequisite per the letter of kansalaisuuslaki, so I did have that in my favor.

Anyhow, here I am, a newly minted Finnish citizen. To those who are still waiting for a decision, I wish you the best of luck!

(Aside - I wonder whether MMV will return my invalidated passport to me. Not that I'm all that fussed about it...)
I just read this case where the application took 14 months and the reason was that migri was not satisfied with the authenticity of the passport. The applicant wrote a letter to the Director of citizenship affairs and then he got the decision quickly.

So it shows that migri officials are incompetent, even the director realizes this fact......what a pity!!!!
I guess if you got passport just last year, they could doubt authenticity in some way, but if you have had passport for like years with stamps and everything, then how can you doubt authenticity.

Finland2015
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: Citizenship Application 2019

Post by Finland2015 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:21 pm

Alexx1111 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:42 am
Finland2015 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:51 am
italosuomalainen wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:50 pm
Hi all,

For those who are on this thread regularly: you may recall that mine has been the application that's been an ongoing saga for over a year, my having started the process last year August 16, 2018. At that point, I had lived in Finland for four years, and was hoping to get a decision based on language ability (I passed the ylin taso kielikoe at the C1 level) and on the "kiinteät siteet" criterion (I'd been gainfully employed the entire four years, and still am).

Maahanmuuttovirasto (MMV) had asked me to send in my passport April 3, 2019, ostensibly to do an authenticity check. And then they proceeded to sit on it for four months, until I told them to return it - I needed it for travel outside of the Schengen area. MMV did indeed return it to me - but with the caveat that they would likely ask me to return it to them upon my return to Finland.

Not knowing whether MMV would indeed return my passport to me in time enough for me to travel, I had applied for a new passport from my embassy. (It turns out I received my passport back from MMV the day before my scheduled visit to my embassy.) The new passport I got in less than two weeks. The embassy returned my old one to me invalidated, along with the new one, and I went on my trip.

Sure enough, upon my return to Finland, I was asked to return my passport to MMV, again for the ostensible authenticity check. This time, I was forewarned that the authenticity check could take several months.

So I did send in my passport agan, this past Monday, Sep 30 - albeit the passport that had been invalidated. (This is the one they asked for by passport number, after all. Cheeky on my part, I know.)

In addition to returning that now invalidated passport to them, however, I also sent a letter (registered mail) to the director of Citizenship Affairs at MMV. I summarized the sequence of events of my application, and told him that

1) In the time my application had been under review, I'd passed the five-year asumisaika mark, and could now qualify based on that.
2) The fact that I obtained a new passport (for which I enclosed a photocopy) in less than two weeks from my embassy should be a pretty strong indicator that my old passport is indeed authentic (albeit no longer valid).
3) I also intimated to him that the MMV is not the competent authority for determining the authenticity of passports that Finland didn't issue, and if the authenticity of mine was in doubt, to please contact my embassy, which represents the competent authority for issuing and authenticating passports of my home country.

I even went so far as to state that this prolonged authenticity check smacked of the MMV exercising arbitrary authority.

I guess my gamble paid off/my letter to the head of Citizenship Affairs must have worked, since as of 9:20 this morning, I am a Finnish citizen. 8)

In other words: I was likely correct in my assumption that, for my application, I drew a particularly persnickety processing officer, who indeed may very well have been exercising arbitrary authority.

I'll admit that when I received the alert this morning that a decision had been made on my application, I was very nervous. I had no way of knowing whether MMV would take my reasoning to heart and act in my favor, or tell me to go screw myself. Consider that the decision to accept or reject an application is entirely at the discretion of the respective processing officer. Therefore, I suppose those officers can reject applications if the applicant farts in the wrong key, even if they fulfill the prerequisites for Finnish citizenship. So I don't know whether I would universally recommend my approach of taking one's case to the head of Citizenship Affairs.

On the other hand, I think I am pretty good at spotting arbitrarily wielded authority when I encounter it - and I'm told it's not uncommon in Nordic countries to take one's complaints to the top of a given organization. Which in my case, appears to have worked. Note that my application did fulfill every last prerequisite per the letter of kansalaisuuslaki, so I did have that in my favor.

Anyhow, here I am, a newly minted Finnish citizen. To those who are still waiting for a decision, I wish you the best of luck!

(Aside - I wonder whether MMV will return my invalidated passport to me. Not that I'm all that fussed about it...)
I just read this case where the application took 14 months and the reason was that migri was not satisfied with the authenticity of the passport. The applicant wrote a letter to the Director of citizenship affairs and then he got the decision quickly.

So it shows that migri officials are incompetent, even the director realizes this fact......what a pity!!!!
I guess if you got passport just last year, they could doubt authenticity in some way, but if you have had passport for like years with stamps and everything, then how can you doubt authenticity.
Migri can do anything...

lapilainen
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:23 pm

Re: Citizenship Application 2019

Post by lapilainen » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:19 pm

Migri has already done everything. And by the way this case of 14 months is from the time when processing time was 6 months. Now its 12 months. Ole hyvä :lol:

Finland2015
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: Citizenship Application 2019

Post by Finland2015 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:28 pm

I am unable to understand what the hell migri is doing????? Their funds have been released long ago, this is also not student permits season. R all the people in migri on sick leave or wedding leave or maternity leave??? Is ther any law or institution in Finland which could protect poeple from migri?

rohit_ghnp
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 10:21 am

Re: Citizenship Application 2019

Post by rohit_ghnp » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:11 am

Seems like no one has any update this week too.

Software
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:31 am

Re: Citizenship Application 2019

Post by Software » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:09 am

4 of my friends that applied in February 2019 all enter stage 2 this week.

rohit_ghnp
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 10:21 am

Re: Citizenship Application 2019

Post by rohit_ghnp » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:18 pm

Software wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:09 am
4 of my friends that applied in February 2019 all enter stage 2 this week.
That is some positive news :)

cameron
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:54 pm

Re: Citizenship Application 2019

Post by cameron » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:35 pm

rohit_ghnp wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:11 am
Seems like no one has any update this week too.
Applied on January 2019 got supplement request on Jan 2020 replied after after 3 days still waiting


Post Reply