Moving to Finland - delay in Finnish ID

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ddfreedie

Post by ddfreedie » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:20 am

Hi
My wife moved to Finland on 6.Feb.2020. The passport control officer asked her to register in Poliisi asap.
We went to International House Helsinki for the registration where we filled the form https://dvv.fi/documents/16079645/17653 ... +foreigner
We were told it would take 8 weeks to get the Finnish ID and below are my questions

1. If Finnish ID takes that long, will i be not able to get the monthly pass for AB region? When i asked for certificate to the officer, she said they dont provide any cerftificate and i have no other go but to wait
2. Kela, TE registration cannot be done until we get the ID. Does it also mean we cannot use public healthcare or get the unemployment benefits(or TE integration plan benefits) until we get the ID.

Has anyone faced this issue? If so, is there a way to tackle this? Please assist

Thanks in Advance.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Maaria

Re: Moving to Finland - delay in Finnish ID

Post by Maaria » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:51 pm

What country did she move from?

ddfreedie

Post by ddfreedie » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:58 pm

Maaria wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:51 pm
India

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:39 pm

ddfreedie wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:58 pm
Maaria wrote:
India
She didn't get a Finnish personal ID number when she received her residence permit card from MIGRI?

ddfreedie

Post by ddfreedie » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:25 pm

Maaria wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:39 pm
ddfreedie wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:58 pm
Maaria wrote:
India
She didn't get a Finnish personal ID number when she received her residence permit card from MIGRI?
no. They said sometimes they will not get the ID and the same will be requested upon arrival.
So on coming here, the above happened.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:56 am

You cannot get Kela card or register at TE before you get the number but you can use the public health care in your municipality. Also Kela registration will take a month or so.

ddfreedie

Post by ddfreedie » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:26 am

tavastia wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:56 am
You cannot get Kela card or register at TE before you get the number but you can use the public health care in your municipality. Also Kela registration will take a month or so.
Thank you for this. So without the ID number how can I use public healthcare.
Also how about the unemployment allowance in that case. Will it start from the day I register or from the day of entering Finland?
Lastly HSL travel card, is it possible to get without Finnish ID if we explain the officials

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:51 am

HSL card you cannot get until you are registered in the population register. They are extremely strict on this.

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:10 pm

heretostay wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:51 am
HSL card you cannot get until you are registered in the population register. They are extremely strict on this.
Do you mean a specific kind of HSL card? I had an HSL pre-paid card, no problem.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:12 pm

heretostay wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:51 am
The card is nowadays less useful, as there are mobile tickets via the app (both single and time). What you won't get without a municipality of residence, is the discount for locals.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:30 pm

ddfreedie wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:20 am
2. Kela, TE registration cannot be done until we get the ID. Does it also mean we cannot use public healthcare or get the unemployment benefits(or TE integration plan benefits) until we get the ID.
Kela and municipality of residence are retroactive to the day of moving. Anyone has access to emergency care and any possible bills can be settled after the fact when the registrations are in order. You can also apply for Kela benefits in arrears (check deadlines per benefit).

For TE office there doesn't seem to be other requirements for foreigners besides having a residence permit, so I would visit and try to register (you can't get benefits before registered).

"Jollei Suomea velvoittavista kansainvälisistä sopimuksista muuta johdu, muut ulkomaan kansalaiset ja kansalaisuutta vailla olevat rekisteröidään 1 §:ssä säädetyllä tavalla työnhakijoiksi, jos heillä on oikeus ansiotyöhön myönnetyn oleskeluluvan nojalla eikä oleskelulupaan liity työnantajaa koskevia rajoituksia."

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 20916#L2P2

If they refuse, see that you get a written decision which you can appeal. Depending on the reasoning, it might make sense.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:33 pm

You are right I was referring to the resident discount and not the card itself. They will not give resident discount until you are registered with Maistraatti.

ddfreedie

Post by ddfreedie » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:45 pm

Yes i was referring to the HSL card where we can get the season ticket (AB @ 60e)
I did check in the International House Helsinki for registration in TE or Kela and they said it cannot be done and they even told they cannot give any certificates for the same. So all they said was to wait until we get the Finnish ID.

duygu

Post by duygu » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:01 pm

ddfreedie wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:45 pm
Yes i was referring to the HSL card where we can get the season ticket (AB @ 60e)
I did check in the International House Helsinki for registration in TE or Kela and they said it cannot be done and they even told they cannot give any certificates for the same. So all they said was to wait until we get the Finnish ID.
I moved to Espoo in January 2020 and went to DVV in Helsinki, where the employee herself told me I could go to the TE office even before I get the ID number, but not to Kela. I did accordingly, and my integration plan was prepared even before I got my ID number 2 days ago.

So when I went to TE, first they made me fill a form, and in two weeks I received a letter regarding a meeting at TE. When I went there, the employee drafted the integration plan for me in a one-hour meeting and also arranged me a place in initial assessment test at Testipiste, which will take place tomorrow.

About Kela, I could only apply for the Kela card after receiving the number. The process will apparently take time, though, as the employee said there's a long queue.
Тише едешь, дальше будешь.

ddfreedie

Post by ddfreedie » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:05 am

duygu wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:01 pm
ddfreedie wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:45 pm
I moved to Espoo in January 2020 and went to DVV in Helsinki, where the employee herself told me I could go to the TE office even before I get the ID number, but not to Kela. I did accordingly, and my integration plan was prepared even before I got my ID number 2 days ago.

So when I went to TE, first they made me fill a form, and in two weeks I received a letter regarding a meeting at TE. When I went there, the employee drafted the integration plan for me in a one-hour meeting and also arranged me a place in initial assessment test at Testipiste, which will take place tomorrow.

About Kela, I could only apply for the Kela card after receiving the number. The process will apparently take time, though, as the employee said there's a long queue.
This indeed is a good information for me and hope for others as well.
I would make sure then we goto TE asap as its been only 3 weeks since we registered and i am sure it would take a little more than a month to get the ID.