Inviting a friend to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
kobbyadu

Post by kobbyadu » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:34 pm

Hello Everyone,
I live in Finland with a resident permit "A". I am wondering if it is possible to invite a friend who is a Non-EU citizen to come visit me? If this is possible and i am funding the trip, how much money do i need to show in my bank statement to the Finnish embassy as proof that i can host someone? What steps should i also take to ensure that the visa application is given a favourable consideration? Thank you for your help.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

inkku

Re: Inviting a friend to Finland

Post by inkku » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:24 pm

To my knowledge a lot depends on your friend. He needs to convince Finland and other Schengen countries that he WILL return back to his home country. He needs to have a job, family, property back at home. Schengen visa gets Veto treatment, meaning that any other Schengen country can deny his visa.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:47 pm

inkku wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:24 pm
Schengen visa gets Veto treatment, meaning that any other Schengen country can deny his visa.
Any Schengen country can impose an entry ban on a person that has to be followed be all other Schengen countries.
But this is not relevant here.

What Finland requires for a visa is something Finland can decide, and this is what has to be followed.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:07 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:47 pm
inkku wrote:
Schengen visa gets Veto treatment, meaning that any other Schengen country can deny his visa.
Any Schengen country can impose an entry ban on a person that has to be followed be all other Schengen countries.
There is a consultation process for certain nationals.

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/sites ... ion_en.pdf
FinlandGirl wrote:
What Finland requires for a visa is something Finland can decide, and this is what has to be followed.
The Schengen visa code is shared and Finland can't make changes on its own.

inkku

Post by inkku » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:07 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
inkku wrote:

I think betelgeuse already replied but do you have some specific knowledge on this? I actually got this information from one embassy staff member. Finland indeed can decide whether Finland wants to grant a visa or not. The list of approved applicants is passed to other Schengen member countries Any Schengen country can object it. They do not need to say why, and the applicant does not know who has made the negative decision. So if one fools around in one country, most probably no access to other Schengen countries.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:38 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:07 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Yes and no.
If you were Russian citizen you would know that for people from St. Petersburg a multi-entry Schengen visa is easy to get from Finland and harder from other countries.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:40 pm

inkku wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:07 am
Finland indeed can decide whether Finland wants to grant a visa or not. The list of approved applicants is passed to other Schengen member countries
Is this referring to the SIS or something else?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:44 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:38 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:07 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Yes and no.
If you were Russian citizen you would know that for people from St. Petersburg a multi-entry Schengen visa is easy to get from Finland and harder from other countries.
If you are referring to the scheme to require less attachments, it has ended and was illegal.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-10903049

kobbyadu

Post by kobbyadu » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:51 am

inkku wrote:
To my knowledge a lot depends on your friend. He needs to convince Finland and other Schengen countries that he WILL return back to his home country. He needs to have a job, family, property back at home. Schengen visa gets Veto treatment, meaning that any other Schengen country can deny his visa.
Thanks for your reply. So with my current status there would actually be no problem on my part to invite someone? Its solely rests on the part of my friend to prove his return. But what of the issue of me funding the trip and the amount of money i would need to show? Or that also does not matter? Thanks.

latikajamal

Post by latikajamal » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:56 am

kobbyadu wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:34 pm
Hello Everyone,
I live in Finland with a resident permit "A". I am wondering if it is possible to invite a friend who is a Non-EU citizen to come visit me? If this is possible and i am funding the trip, how much money do i need to show in my bank statement to the Finnish embassy as proof that i can host someone? What steps shousld i also take to ensure that the visa application is given a favourable consideration? Thank you for your help.
Hi, i just want to share what happened to my sister's application. I hope you can get some ideas here, Sorry this is a long one :lol:

I have 2 sisters, the youngest (single, with a daughter,) got the 90days visit visa last summer2019, i filled the application online and sent to her everything through email. And i booked her appointment and just told her what do and what to say..We only sent through post the original invitation.

My husband's bank statement, (he's an entrepreneur)And shown to the Embassy what we have here to satisfy them.(3 properties, company,).
About my sister's part, she shown the birth certificate of the daughter and my birth certificate and her to prove were sisters. And what are those included in the checklist. Nothing else than that. (No itinerary, no bank statements on her part) And she got 90days visit Visa after a week the positive result.

We planned to send her back here this winter but she decided not too because she started a small business, she said she need to focus and maybe she will come on the next summer again.
So i asked my other sister if she want to visit here for her to experience Finland (she's married with 1son). Im the eldest.
When her husband said it's up to her, i knew my sister next to me wanted to come here, so i arranged everything again, like what i did before, she applied December 2019, she was supposed to come January to March, 90days Visit Visa, (She shown, marriage contract, birth certificate of the son, her and my birth certificate to prove were sisters) during her appointment, the interviewer asked about itinerary she said she dont have. (me and my youngest sister dont have it before, its a VISIT visa not a TOURIST visa) she was told to send itinerary within 1week in the vfs email provided. My husband sent it to them through email and he was notified that they got it.
Sadly, she was denied/refused.
she got 2 hits;
*Justification for the purpose and conditions of the intended stay was not provided.
* your intention to leave the territory of the member states before the expiry of the visa could not be ascertained.

Overview;
before, it's Norwegian Embassy who processed visa under Finland, me and my youngest sister got the positive results.
Now, we have Visa application center for Finland they started last year july i think, (i don't remember, i just saw it in fb page)

Ok, i got hurt, dissapointed of what has happened, i cried.
I sent message in their email in the vfs site and they replied that they were sorry because they were only the one whose receiving the papers, and my sister can apply anytime again.

I talked to my husband, lets give a second try. I don't want her to get dissapointed all her life because of that, (i said it because i knew the feeling of being rejected)
2016 January my husband and I started to talk through internet, i was working abroad in a good company,
We decided to meet in our home country march2016, i had a 3weeks vacation from work abroad and 2weeks on his part. He came home first in my home country and my parents met him there in the airport and accompanied him in his hotel and my flight back home was a day after he came.
After the visit, we go back to our real life..me working abroad and he go back home to Finland.
June he told me to resign from work and then apply a visit visa /visit boyfriend/girlfriend (under Norwegian embassy) we asked help to an agent and paid a lot to that, just to help me with my application, I got rejected.
* the intention to leave the territory of the member states before the expiry of the visa could not be ascertained.
I was devastated that time when i got a message that my visa was denied. He filed an appeal to that but after a month of waiting, still refused.
I cried every night and i questioned myself im so stupid, i worked abroad and enjoyed life up to the fullest and suddenly this changed everything. I stopped talking to my now husband before because my thinking was its useless. I can't be with him. I resigned from work and what will gonna happen to me after that.
The situation never stopped him, he said he love me and he will do everything even its expensive to do it that way.. so he decided to focus on the relationship if they will gonna question my proof of ties, im single, no kids, no work, i had money but i think its not enough to satisfy them. He booked a flights from countries that i dont need visa at all.. and that makes me so happy because thats the only time i can be with him. After that, April 2017 applied on my own without any help from agent, i studied the application and do it my way., the same papers but this time with new stamps in my passport. I got my 90days visit visa june to August 2017, and before the expiry of my visa i got pregnant, the reason why I'm here in the forum to ask advice and im so thankful to the comments and up to now im so good :thumbsup:

So let's go back to the story :D
my husband agreed to that to try again for the 2nd time. So We sent invitation this January and i booked her appointment end of January. The date of visit March to May.
But this time. I told her, show to them your newly built house documents, car, motorcycle , and bank statement these were under her name (she worked abroad before like my youngest sister and me).
I never asked her before to bring and show these documents because its the same way of the application i made from my youngest sister and to me. She's coming here all inclusive, with my husband's sponsorship like what we did before. My husband made a simple itinerary.
A week after she applied, someone called her about her application, she noticed the interviewer can speak our language so she started to talk our language. And asked a about, are you married? Do you have son? Who will gonna take good care of your son when you leave, what is your husband's work, how much is the salary? Do you live in your own house? What are you gonna do there? Why it needs to be that long(90days)? :lol: (unbelievable. Never happened to me and to my younger sister.
She answered it like this....im married with a son, we have our own house, my mother will gonna take good care of him in the day and my husband when he came home from work. He's a driver and he's driving our own car as a service in a company and he's earning 22k-25k a month (this is a good salary in our home country) i have never met my brother in law and my nephew yet, ive seen my sister last time when im working 2014-2018 abroad, this is the time we can see and meet each other again, and we will mostly stay in their home and summerhouse and farm house, like what my younger sister did when she stayed there on a vacation.. where is your younger sister now? She said, she's here(in our home country).

Yesterday she got the letter and it's refused again..
*"your intention to leave the territory of the member states before the expiry of the visa could not be ascertained."

I gave message yesterday the consular office in our home country and she replied to me last night;

"I appreciate your email and the information provided, however there isn't much to be done.The visa team in Finland process each application on case to case basis, with the documents submitted. The earlier visas mentioned below, were most likely processed by the Norwegian embassy, as they represented Finland until summer 2019. We cannot speak on their behalf, as to why the applications were successful and this is not. Finland generally requires thar the applicant has sufficient funds for the entire duration of their stay( min.30e/day, sponsor finances not considered."

We will try to appeal this time..my husband said, he will try to ask and seek information what was wrong with her application, and one thing is for sure,,we will never stop until she get her visit visa here.
Im sorry for the long message, i just want to put everything so nothing is missing :D
Ok that's all :)

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:24 am

latikajamal wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:56 am
kobbyadu wrote:
Hello Everyone,
I live in Finland with a resident permit "A". I am wondering if it is possible to invite a friend who is a Non-EU citizen to come visit me? If this is possible and i am funding the trip, how much money do i need to show in my bank statement to the Finnish embassy as proof that i can host someone? What steps shousld i also take to ensure that the visa application is given a favourable consideration? Thank you for your help.
Hi, i just want to share what happened to my sister's application. I hope you can get some ideas here, Sorry this is a long one :lol:

I have 2 sisters, the youngest (single, with a daughter,) got the 90days visit visa last summer2019, i filled the application online and sent to her everything through email. And i booked her appointment and just told her what do and what to say..We only sent through post the original invitation.

My husband's bank statement, (he's an entrepreneur)And shown to the Embassy what we have here to satisfy them.(3 properties, company,).
About my sister's part, she shown the birth certificate of the daughter and my birth certificate and her to prove were sisters. And what are those included in the checklist. Nothing else than that. (No itinerary, no bank statements on her part) And she got 90days visit Visa after a week the positive result.

We planned to send her back here this winter but she decided not too because she started a small business, she said she need to focus and maybe she will come on the next summer again.
So i asked my other sister if she want to visit here for her to experience Finland (she's married with 1son). Im the eldest.
When her husband said it's up to her, i knew my sister next to me wanted to come here, so i arranged everything again, like what i did before, she applied December 2019, she was supposed to come January to March, 90days Visit Visa, (She shown, marriage contract, birth certificate of the son, her and my birth certificate to prove were sisters) during her appointment, the interviewer asked about itinerary she said she dont have. (me and my youngest sister dont have it before, its a VISIT visa not a TOURIST visa) she was told to send itinerary within 1week in the vfs email provided. My husband sent it to them through email and he was notified that they got it.
she got 2 hits;
*Justification for the purpose and conditions of the intended stay was not provided.
* your intention to leave the territory of the member states before the expiry of the visa could not be ascertained.

Overview;
before, it's Norwegian Embassy who processed visa under Finland, me and my youngest sister got the positive results.
Now, we have Visa application center for Finland they started last year july i think, (i don't remember, i just saw it in fb page)

I sent message in their email in the vfs site and they replied that they were sorry because they were only the one whose receiving the papers, and my sister can apply anytime again.

I talked to my husband, lets give a second try. I don't want her to get dissapointed all her life because of that, (i said it because i knew the feeling of being rejected)
2016 January my husband and I started to talk through internet, i was working abroad in a good company,
We decided to meet in our home country march2016, i had a 3weeks vacation from work abroad and 2weeks on his part. He came home first in my home country and my parents met him there in the airport and accompanied him in his hotel and my flight back home was a day after he came.
After the visit, we go back to our real life..me working abroad and he go back home to Finland.
June he told me to resign from work and then apply a visit visa /visit boyfriend/girlfriend (under Norwegian embassy) we asked help to an agent and paid a lot to that, just to help me with my application, I got rejected.
* the intention to leave the territory of the member states before the expiry of the visa could not be ascertained.
I was devastated that time when i got a message that my visa was denied. He filed an appeal to that but after a month of waiting, still refused.
I cried every night and i questioned myself im so stupid, i worked abroad and enjoyed life up to the fullest and suddenly this changed everything. I stopped talking to my now husband before because my thinking was its useless. I can't be with him. I resigned from work and what will gonna happen to me after that.
The situation never stopped him, he said he love me and he will do everything even its expensive to do it that way.. so he decided to focus on the relationship if they will gonna question my proof of ties, im single, no kids, no work, i had money but i think its not enough to satisfy them. He booked a flights from countries that i dont need visa at all.. and that makes me so happy because thats the only time i can be with him. After that, April 2017 applied on my own without any help from agent, i studied the application and do it my way., the same papers but this time with new stamps in my passport. I got my 90days visit visa june to August 2017, and before the expiry of my visa i got pregnant, the reason why I'm here in the forum to ask advice and im so thankful to the comments and up to now im so good :thumbsup:

my husband agreed to that to try again for the 2nd time. So We sent invitation this January and i booked her appointment end of January. The date of visit March to May.
But this time. I told her, show to them your newly built house documents, car, motorcycle , and bank statement these were under her name (she worked abroad before like my youngest sister and me).
I never asked her before to bring and show these documents because its the same way of the application i made from my youngest sister and to me. She's coming here all inclusive, with my husband's sponsorship like what we did before. My husband made a simple itinerary.
A week after she applied, someone called her about her application, she noticed the interviewer can speak our language so she started to talk our language. And asked a about, are you married? Do you have son? Who will gonna take good care of your son when you leave, what is your husband's work, how much is the salary? Do you live in your own house? What are you gonna do there? Why it needs to be that long(90days)? :lol: (unbelievable. Never happened to me and to my younger sister.
She answered it like this....im married with a son, we have our own house, my mother will gonna take good care of him in the day and my husband when he came home from work. He's a driver and he's driving our own car as a service in a company and he's earning 22k-25k a month (this is a good salary in our home country) i have never met my brother in law and my nephew yet, ive seen my sister last time when im working 2014-2018 abroad, this is the time we can see and meet each other again, and we will mostly stay in their home and summerhouse and farm house, like what my younger sister did when she stayed there on a vacation.. where is your younger sister now? She said, she's here(in our home country).

*"your intention to leave the territory of the member states before the expiry of the visa could not be ascertained."

I gave message yesterday the consular office in our home country and she replied to me last night;

"I appreciate your email and the information provided, however there isn't much to be done.The visa team in Finland process each application on case to case basis, with the documents submitted. The earlier visas mentioned below, were most likely processed by the Norwegian embassy, as they represented Finland until summer 2019. We cannot speak on their behalf, as to why the applications were successful and this is not. Finland generally requires thar the applicant has sufficient funds for the entire duration of their stay( min.30e/day, sponsor finances not considered."

We will try to appeal this time..my husband said, he will try to ask and seek information what was wrong with her application, and one thing is for sure,,we will never stop until she get her visit visa here.
Im sorry for the long message, i just want to put everything so nothing is missing :D
She had return ticket, but the officials didn't believe she would use it?
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

inkku

Post by inkku » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:59 am

As I wrote earlier, nowadays the applicant needs to have family, children, job, property back home. Ticket has no value.

latikajamal

Post by latikajamal » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:21 pm

Upphew wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:24 am
latikajamal wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:56 am
kobbyadu wrote:
Hello Everyone,

she got 2 hits;

Overview;

She had return ticket, but the officials didn't believe she would use it?
Thanks for that question, i forgot that one..the interviewer asked that also, does the ticket was already paid? My sister said..Yes.

When she got rejected last December 2019, my husband emailed finnair, with the rejection papers, and they refunded the ticket.
And booked again for her 2nd application.

With the insurance, the company said, they can just move the dates,and she can still use it in the next trip. And i can amend it who ever wanted to use it. Because if i asked for a refund, they will give only half. So i emailed them yesterday with the rejection paper again, and told them i will give them a message when were ready for the next application.

latikajamal

Post by latikajamal » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:25 pm

inkku wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:59 am
As I wrote earlier, nowadays the applicant needs to have family, children, job, property back home. Ticket has no value.
Hi.. she's married, with a son, she had her newly built house under her name, planned by an engineer (my husband when he saw it in the picture, commented, im sure that's the most beautiful house in your area now not your parents'house anymore :lol: )

About having a job, no employer will gonna let you on a vacation for 3 months, the reason why i resigned from work abroad, because i was allowed to go on vacation only 2weeks to 1month in a year. I could say that having a job is not applicable when you decided to get the maximum 90days.

we will gonna focus this time on what the consular officer's advice.
I gave her a long long story, with attached documents, it looks like i made an appeal to her :lol:
And in the end of the letter is this...
" Please maam, tell me what else are missing? so that on her next Visa application it would be favourable in her part ?
And her reply...

"I appreciate your email and the information provided, however there isn't much to be done.The visa team in Finland process each application on case to case basis, with the documents submitted. The earlier visas mentioned below, were most likely processed by the Norwegian embassy, as they represented Finland until summer 2019. We cannot speak on their behalf, as to why the applications were successful and this is not.
Finland generally requires thar the applicant has sufficient funds for the entire duration of their stay( min.30e/day, sponsor finances not considered

Her last statement, even though we knew it,.it can be they were not satisfied to my sister's bank statement. So we will focus here, we will sending her a money, in her account this month February and she will try to apply again on April for a 90days visit Visa on june to August.
We will not do the appeal. New application is much better in my opinion. :thumbsup:

inkku

Post by inkku » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:33 pm

latika, i have not read your posts because they are far too long but resigning from a job and applying for a maximum visa is a double red flag imo.