Moving to Finland from England

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Kaipa

Re: Moving to Finland from England

Post by Kaipa » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:07 pm

Thanks for the information - does anyone know how England leaving the EU will affect getting a resident permit yet after transition period (31st Dec 2020)?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Post by rinso » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:27 pm

Kaipa wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:44 pm
In terms of getting a resident permit on "other grounds" how long would I be expected to support myself before I could claim benefits? Surely the Finnish government wouldn't expect immigrants to have an unlimited amount of cash flow whilst looking for work/learning the language.
The residence permit will not be longer than the time you can support yourself. On top of that, the first one will probably 1 year.
Regarding work - what is the likelihood of finding work which I can do just speaking English? I would be moving to central Finland.
In major cities, there are some possibilities. In smaller villages hardly any.
Understandingly my partner does not want the financial burden/responsibility of looking after both of us for the rest of our lives so I'm trying to figure out the realistic options and possibilities of me living there.
That you want to pull your own weight is understandable. But if your partner already issues restrictions, that is a bad sign.

Kaipa

Post by Kaipa » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:35 pm

In what sense do you mean it's a bad sign?

rinso

Post by rinso » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:42 pm

Kaipa wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:35 pm
In what sense do you mean it's a bad sign?
It might indicate that she is not fully committed.

Kaipa

Post by Kaipa » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:51 pm

I guess my partner doesn't want to be in a situation where she feels entirely responsible for me for the rest of our lives together in Finland so having at least some financial independence at some point is important for me and us as a couple. Obviously whilst I getting to learn the language and settle there it will be potentially a few years until I'm at that stage..

Kaipa

Post by Kaipa » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:19 pm

Does anyone know what the difference would be for me getting a resident permit AFTER the transition period for BREXIT (20th Dec 2020) when I'm no longer a member of the EU? Could I still claim benefits if my spouse was Finnish or could I only do that if I was from an EU country?

rinso

Post by rinso » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:54 am

Kaipa wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:19 pm
Does anyone know what the difference would be for me getting a resident permit AFTER the transition period for BREXIT (20th Dec 2020) when I'm no longer a member of the EU? Could I still claim benefits if my spouse was Finnish or could I only do that if I was from an EU country?
If you get a residence permit based on family ties (marriage or cohabitation), the joined income is used to determine the possibility of benefits.

Whatever you try, benefits are unlikely. The system is designed to prevent people from coming here just for the benefits.

Kaipa

Post by Kaipa » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:38 am

The issue will be that my partner can’t pay for both of us for 3+ years whilst I’m learning Finnish and eventually looking for work so I was hoping I could at least receive benefits to help me whilst in this position.

I know plenty of people who have moved to Finland without family ties or a plan for further education and still got benefits.

rinso

Post by rinso » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:48 pm

I know plenty of people who have moved to Finland without family ties or a plan for further education and still got benefits.
Ask them what to do.

Kaipa

Post by Kaipa » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:27 pm

I wouldn't be moving there "just for benefits" however if I'm unable to claim benefits to support myself then there's a possibility I couldn't move if I'm just dependant purely on my partners income alone.

I have already decided to sell my house if I move to Finland so I would have no source of income whatsoever.

Kaipa

Post by Kaipa » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:57 am

Would it make any difference to anything if we were married before or after Brexit?

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:18 am

Kaipa wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:57 am
Would it make any difference to anything if we were married before or after Brexit?
If you move before end of transion period in 12.2020 you can still register your residence as EU citizen. Simple and fast process. Cost 54€.

If you move after, you are 3rd country national and need to apply for family ties residence permit. It takes about 9 months to get it and costs 420€ (electronic app) or 520€ (paper app)

Is the Brexit great? 🤔

Kaipa

Post by Kaipa » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:02 pm

Ideally I would move before the transition period is over however since I would be moving on family ties I simply don’t think I would have enough money as benefits wouldn’t be guaranteed 😔

Learning the language and finding a job is realistically going to take at least 2 - 3 years so I’d have to have enough money to support myself for that period

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:10 pm

Kaipa wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:02 pm
Ideally I would move before the transition period is over however since I would be moving on family ties I simply don’t think I would have enough money as benefits wouldn’t be guaranteed 😔

Learning the language and finding a job is realistically going to take at least 2 - 3 years so I’d have to have enough money to support myself for that period
What type of work are you in? A few jobs will be possible without language but not too many. For example, restaurant cooks are in short supply and are imported by restaurants frequently.

Kaipa

Post by Kaipa » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:27 pm

I currently work as a manager in customer services. I have experience mainly in retail and customer service