Getting married in Finland or abroad

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Ryhis94

Post by Ryhis94 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:55 pm

Hyvää päivää! Me and my Colombian girlfriend are getting married soon and want to live in Finland together. I'm a Finnish citizen.

Is it better to get married in Colombia and then come to Finland with a tourist visa and applying for a residency permit, or is it better to go to Finland with a tourist visa and then get married in Finland and apply for RP?

We don't really have a preference but would like everything to go smoothly and without problems, which plan would be easier? Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Getting married in Finland or abroad

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:49 am

Ryhis94 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:55 pm
Me and my Colombian girlfriend are getting married soon and want to live in Finland together. I'm a Finnish citizen.

Is it better to get married in Colombia and then come to Finland with a tourist visa and applying for a residency permit, or is it better to go to Finland with a tourist visa and then get married in Finland and apply for RP?

We don't really have a preference but would like everything to go smoothly and without problems, which plan would be easier?
She might be waiting 9 months for a decision on her RP.
In Finland she can spend the waiting time with you but without the right to work, in Colombia she is allowed to continue working but you might not be there.

latikajamal

Post by latikajamal » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:31 pm

Ryhis94 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:55 pm
Hyvää päivää! Me and my Colombian girlfriend are getting married soon and want to live in Finland together. I'm a Finnish citizen.

We don't really have a preference but would like everything to go smoothly and without problems, which plan would be easier? Thanks!
Hi..
I am commenting based on my experienced and understanding of the situation.

If you plan to stay for good here in Finland, this is the easiest way for me...
Help her to get the Visa (visit visa) write in the invitation the real reason of her visit. Get married here. She need to bring her certificate of no impediment(certificate stating she's single) legalized by their embassy and embassy or consulate of finland in her home country.

Ok..let's say she got the Visit Visa, and got married here,
If she have nothing to do in her home country and you can support her while waiting the result that is ok and legal. But that is not an assurance that she will get the RP. If she got rejected, she need to go back home.

The same thing, when you were married in her home country, Finland will not accepting it unless the marriage contract was legalized by their embassy and embassy of Finland in her home country. And even they recognized it and apply for her RP, no assurance with that also thar she will get it.

The only guarantee that she will gonna stay here is when she deliver her baby here in Finland, (with a Finnish father :wink: ) the child is automatically a Finnish Citizen. And she will surely gonna stay because of the child. (Being pregnant is not a guarantee)

#realtalk
some got the RP in their home country so easily, but some fight for months and some for years.
Goodluck.
Last edited by latikajamal on Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:11 pm

latikajamal wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:31 pm
If she have nothing to do in her home country and you can support her while waiting the result that is ok and legal. But that is not an assurance that she will get the RP. If she got rejected, she need to go back home.
Technically this is true, but in practice there will not be a problem.
latikajamal wrote:
Finland will not accepting it unless the marriage contract was legalized by their embassy and embassy of Finland in her home country.
This is not true, legalization done by the Columbian Ministry of Foreign Affairs is accepted by Finland:
https://finlandabroad.fi/web/col/asiaki ... listaminen

latikajamal

Post by latikajamal » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:22 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:11 pm
latikajamal wrote:
Technically this is true, but in practice there will not be a problem.
latikajamal wrote:
Finland will not accepting it unless the marriage contract was legalized by their embassy and embassy of Finland in her home country.
This is not true, legalization done by the Columbian Ministry of Foreign Affairs is accepted by Finland:
https://finlandabroad.fi/web/col/asiaki ... listaminen
i don't know about in other countries. If that would be the case they can accept it that's good. But as i said, its not a guarantee to get the RP even Finland recognised it :thumbsup: goodluck :beer_yum:

GypsyFinn

Post by GypsyFinn » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:07 am

I'd do this; Come to Finland as tourist on tourist visa. On application is question "Do you plan to get married while in Finland?" Say "NO".
Take papers from Colombia that will allow her to marry in Finland and any EU country. Once in Finland future Finnish husband will get marriage clearance papers for himself from Finland in English. Then go to Sweden, or any EU country, and get married there.
That way it's legal and you haven't been lying to Q: "Do you plan get married in Finland".
Good Luck! :-)

PS. In USA they HELP people to come and get married! See "90-day fiance TV show". Finland don't... no K-1 visas. It's a crime in Finland.
Image Image

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:14 pm

GypsyFinn wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:07 am
I'd do this; Come to Finland as tourist on tourist visa. On application is question "Do you plan to get married while in Finland?" Say "NO".
There is no such question.

https://um.fi/documents/35732/48132/app ... 5647461328
GypsyFinn wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:07 am
PS. In USA they HELP people to come and get married! See "90-day fiance TV show". Finland don't... no K-1 visas. It's a crime in Finland.
Which crime are you referring to?

alberti

Post by alberti » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:14 pm

My wife (Indonesian) came simply to Finland on Tourist Visa. We got married here in Finland ,about 10 months later of waiting here, RP was approved. Dont mention on tourist visa , getting Married