Tuition fees for foreigner married to Finnish citizen

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
suomalainensisu

Post by suomalainensisu » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:41 am

Is tuition free for a non resident if I am married to Finnish citizen? We have been living in the US as a married couple for 2 years and I am planning on enrolling in nursing school in Finland. Anybody with similar experience? Thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Tuition fees for foreigner married to Finnish citizen

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:19 pm

suomalainensisu wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:41 am
Is tuition free for a non resident if I am married to Finnish citizen? We have been living in the US as a married couple for 2 years and I am planning on enrolling in nursing school in Finland.
It is free if you have been granted a residence permit for living together with your spouse in Finland.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:47 pm

You want to enter Finland with a family ties residence permit first and then wait a little while before studying. The application process for schools is long in most cases so you should be fine if you apply after arrival. There have been cases with kela and migri where they try to say your primary reason for being in Finland is studying and then you don’t get any study grant and possibly even get a student permit. You also have to have the A type permit to be eligible for tuition free education.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:09 pm

heretostay wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:47 pm
The application process for schools is long in most cases so you should be fine if you apply after arrival.
Application for studies starting in Autumn 2021 will be in January 2021, an application for a residence permit based on family ties in January 2021 or even later when the universities announce who has been admitted is unlikely to get a decision in time for the studies.
heretostay wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:47 pm
You also have to have the A type permit to be eligible for tuition free education.
The family ties residence permit will be type A.