certificate of permanent residence for uk citizen?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
nicola jane

Post by nicola jane » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:02 am

Hi, I am a UK citizen, living here since 2006,I registered when I arrived, I am now wondering is there any benifit for me to get the permanent residence certificate? what happens at the end of the year when Brexit finally??! comes into effect?
I plan to do the YKI test, to get citizenship but........I need to do some more work on my language skills, I am an English teacher and I speak English pretty much all the time! thanks in advance for any help🙂

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: certificate of permanent residence for uk citizen?

Post by heretostay » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:43 am

Dont be afraid if the yki test. I would say to take it first and then see if you need to study. It isn’t difficult at all to get the passing score. Remember you don’t have to pass every section just two sections in a couple of different combinations. But living here that long I would be willing to be money that you could pass enough for citizenship.
Last edited by heretostay on Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:20 am

you may as well apply for the residence certificate although I followed the immigration service's website recommendation and applied for it (last year) .. but when I went to the office for the interview the woman said there was no need to apply. I had to point out to her that her advice contradicted the instructions on her employers website and found it a bit tiresome having to tell somebody how to do their job.
It will be up to the Finnish government to decide what happens to UK citizens living in Finland - that is not set at the EU level but supposedly the rights of citizens have already been secured (and are not subject to the negotiations still going on between UK and EU). What is unclear is the rights of UK citizens living in EU countries now to move / work in other EU countries.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:18 pm

riku2 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:20 am
you may as well apply for the residence certificate although I followed the immigration service's website recommendation and applied for it (last year) .. but when I went to the office for the interview the woman said there was no need to apply. I had to point out to her that her advice contradicted the instructions on her employers website and found it a bit tiresome having to tell somebody how to do their job.
It will be up to the Finnish government to decide what happens to UK citizens living in Finland - that is not set at the EU level but supposedly the rights of citizens have already been secured (and are not subject to the negotiations still going on between UK and EU). What is unclear is the rights of UK citizens living in EU countries now to move / work in other EU countries.
It is not up to Finland. It’s settled by the Withdrawal Agreement. Only the details of administrative formalities will be set by Finland. The current treaty does not include free movement rights to other EU countries.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:25 am

For sure there will not be free movement for non members. You cannot be out but have all the benefits. You take back the control, now have it 😎

nicola jane

Post by nicola jane » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:52 pm

Thanks for the replys🙂, I am not so interested in the free movement aspect,although of course that would be lovely,
its more that I can remain here in Finland, I love this country, its been myhome for nearly 16 years, really difficult to think of living anywhere else😊.
It saddens me that so many Brits think leaving the eu is a good idea.In my opinion......well I didnt vote for this!
would be very happy give up my UK citizenship and just be a citizen of Europe🙂.
So to all you other Brits out there....good luck.

Mackee23

Post by Mackee23 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:46 pm

Hi,

I am also a British citizen and this year I applied for "right of residency" based on being an EU citizen. I applied online, paid 54 euros and attended a 20 minute appointment in which they checked my ID and read through my application and then I got my certificate of residency there and then.

I was given a "Welcome to Finland" book at my appointment, which explained all of my rights. Apparently I can apply for a Finnish travel card, which will allow me to travel within the EU. I won't lose my residency unless I leave the country for more than two years.

I am really glad that I got it, because it was so easy to do and last month I was in Thailand and received emails from the Finnish government advising me to return to Finland ASAP, as they were closing the borders due to the coronavirus. The only flight I could get had a short stopover in Dubai. When I was trying to board the flight in Dubai. I was told that I would not be able to travel to Finland on my British passport and had to provide proof of residency, such as a residence card. Luckily I was able to show my residency certificate, but another British passenger who didn't have a proof was not able to board the flight. Despite the fact that he lived and worked in Finland. In Dubai they said that the UK had left the EU. I tried to explain that we were still in a transition period, but they wouldn't listen.

So maybe right of residency is an option. The application is very easy, takes about 10 minutes to complete. I would definitely apply for Finnish citizenship if I could and intend to do so in the future.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:45 pm

Mackee23 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:46 pm
I can apply for a Finnish travel card, which will allow me to travel within the EU.
Do you know what the "travel card" is that you mention ? Is it the EHIC card which is not about travel but receiving health care in other EU countries on account of you being covered by finnish health care when in Finland (Brits will lose this next year). I have not heard of a "travel card" though when it comes to travelling in the EU.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:41 pm

riku2 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:45 pm
Mackee23 wrote:
I can apply for a Finnish travel card, which will allow me to travel within the EU.
Do you know what the "travel card" is that you mention ? Is it the EHIC card which is not about travel but receiving health care in other EU countries on account of you being covered by finnish health care when in Finland (Brits will lose this next year). I have not heard of a "travel card" though when it comes to travelling in the EU.
There is a residence card for family members of EU citizens, similar to the residence permit card.
The residence card would be the logical choice for not inventing new documents just for this case.

Mackee23

Post by Mackee23 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:02 pm

riku2 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:45 pm
Mackee23 wrote:
It's not a EHIC card. It's basically an Identity card which proves that you have Finnish residency and therefore you have the right to travel within the EU for 90 days without a visa. I think I might apply for one, because it would be useful to be able to carry that with me when I travel. Don't want to be in another situation like I was in Dubai. It will probably depend on what happens with Brexit though and what travel restrictions are put in place.

rinso

Post by rinso » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:36 pm

Some information about the identity card:
https://www.poliisi.fi/identity_card/us ... ntity_card
Extra information hidden on another page:
Foreigner's identity card
According to the Municipality of Residence Act, the Police can issue identity cards to foreign citizens who reside in Finland permanently, whose details have been entered in the Population Information System and who have a valid residence permit or residence card or whose right of residence has been registered and whose identity can be reliably verified. Identity cards for foreign citizens are issued for a period of five years or until the expiry of the applicant’s residence permit or residence card, whichever is sooner. A foreigner's identity card cannot be used as a travel document.
So it is a "strong proof of identity" and you can prove your residence, but you cannot use it instead of a passport.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:14 pm

rinso wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:36 pm
According to the Municipality of Residence Act, the Police can issue identity cards to foreign citizens who reside in Finland permanently, whose details have been entered in the Population Information System and who have a valid residence permit or residence card or whose right of residence has been registered and whose identity can be reliably verified. Identity cards for foreign citizens are issued for a period of five years or until the expiry of the applicant’s residence permit or residence card, whichever is sooner. A foreigner's identity card cannot be used as a travel document.
So it is a "strong proof of identity" and you can prove your residence, but you cannot use it instead of a passport.
The card to prove the residence is the residence card, not the id card for non-citizens.

rinso

Post by rinso » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:49 pm

The card to prove the residence is the residence card, not the id card for non-citizens.
Some people do reside here without a residence card. As you pointed out there is a difference between "residence permit" and "right of residence".
A driving licence or a Kela card are not considered strong identifiers.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:27 pm

rinso wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:49 pm
Some people do reside here without a residence card. As you pointed out there is a difference between "residence permit" and "right of residence".
"Some people" are EU citizens with a right of residence who do not have a residence card since their non-Finnish EU citizenship already grants them these rights.
Non-EU family members of EU citizens cannot reside here without a residence card, the application to register is called "Residence card application".
rinso wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:49 pm
A driving licence or a Kela card are not considered strong identifiers.
The same is true outside Finland for the Finnish foreigner's id card.

Mackee23

Post by Mackee23 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:01 pm

rinso wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:36 pm
In my "Welcome to Finland" book, I'm sure it also said I could get a travel card, which I could use to travel within the EU, but I can't find my book right now. When I tried to look for information online I also found the above information that you have posted. Think I may have left my book at my in laws house.

I think you are right though. It is not to use instead of a passport, but to carry a long with your passport to prove that you are a Finnish resident and can therefore travel within the EU for 90 days visa free. This is usually for Finnish residents who are not EU citizens and unfortunately the UK will officially leave the EU at the end of the year and British citizens will no longer be EU citizens. So it may be useful to have. It of course depends on what kind of deal the UK are able to reach with the EU, but I don't see Brexit negotiations processed during this pandemic, which means another extension or a no deal Brexit.