Extended Residency Permit Application 2020- Family ties

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Maeke

Post by Maeke » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:14 pm

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if others on this trend have recently applied for Extended RP based on family ties and wouldn't mind sharing it. I did the service point visit on February 19th, so technically it should be decided in 7 days, on March 19th. Is the one month processing time pretty accurate ?
For my case:

''Events concerning your application
1/8/2019 A customer number has been created for you. You can see your customer number at the top of the page.
2/6/2020 We have received the processing fee for your application. (€260)
2/6/2020 We have received your application and it is pending.
2/19/2020 You have proved your identity and a diary number has been created for your application. You can see the diary number at the top of the page. Your application has been placed in the processing queue. We will contact you if we need more information from you. Our processing times can be found on our website at www.migri
.''

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

jarikaija

Re: Extended Residency Permit Application 2020- Family ties

Post by jarikaija » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:19 pm

Maeke wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:14 pm
Hi Folks,

Just wondering if others on this trend have recently applied for Extended RP based on family ties and wouldn't mind sharing it. I did the service point visit on February 19th, so technically it should be decided in 7 days, on March 19th. Is the one month processing time pretty accurate ?
For my wife it took 2 months. Got middle of February.

Migri had to fire (no more money) almost 100 workers, so decision will take at least 2 month or so...

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:22 pm

Oh, congrats on your wife getting it.

Thank you very much for the update.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:22 pm

Applied extended permit for child in December and still waiting. It will take some months I think unfortunately.

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:26 pm

Thanks for the update.
good thing I applied with still 3 months of validity on my current RP. At least, if it takes longer than one month, then I am not at immediate risk.

jarikaija

Post by jarikaija » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:33 am

Maeke wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:26 pm
Thanks for the update.
good thing I applied with still 3 months of validity on my current RP. At least, if it takes longer than one month, then I am not at immediate risk.
You will not have any risk, even RP expires, since you applied extension. You can continue school, work, whatever.
Only problem is, that you can't travel outside finland before you get your new extended RP...

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:59 am

Oh really? I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:32 am

You can travel. You just have to enter and exit Schengen area from Helsinki and have your paper from migri showing that you have applied.

jarikaija

Post by jarikaija » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:21 am

heretostay wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:32 am
You can travel. You just have to enter and exit Schengen area from Helsinki and have your paper from migri showing that you have applied.
What I know, it is not possible until your previous RP is still valid while
waiting extension. That paper is NOT a valid travel document what our
border control accept normally. Visa and RP with passport are.

In fact, ID card should be enough for travelling inside chengen area, but
in real, some officers at airport still asking passport to show.

I can send email for migri and ask, if required...

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:41 am

I travel regularly and can tell you that the border guard will 100% accept at passport control in Helsinki the combination of your 1) passport 2) expired residence permit and 3) proof of application for residence permit extension. I have traveled many times myself like this and also family members like this.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:07 am

heretostay wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:41 am
I travel regularly and can tell you that the border guard will 100% accept at passport control in Helsinki the combination of your 1) passport 2) expired residence permit and 3) proof of application for residence permit extension. I have traveled many times myself like this and also family members like this.
This is true, but
heretostay wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:32 am
this is incomplete information - waiting for an RP extension does not allow you to enter other Schengen countries.

In practice passports are rarely checked inside Schengen, but if you happen to run into a police control during a daytrip to Tallinn or a trip to Spain or elsewhere in Schengen you are in trouble and the worst case is that this country deports you to your home country and bans you from re-entering Schengen.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:36 pm

Thank you for that additional information. I don’t typically travel within the Schengen area so I had not thought of that scenario.

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:31 am

As of today, it's been 1 month and 9 days of processing time for my extended rp based on family ties, when migri processing times for these kind of applications is usually a month. My current one expires in first week of May so I'm not worried yet about expiration of status. I think there are delays because of the covid situation, but to which point?

rickx1234

Post by rickx1234 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:45 am

Maeke wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:31 am
As of today, it's been 1 month and 9 days of processing time for my extended rp based on family ties, when migri processing times for these kind of applications is usually a month. My current one expires in first week of May so I'm not worried yet about expiration of status. I think there are delays because of the covid situation, but to which point?
I have been to similar situation. Having filed for renewal of my residence permit back in July 2016 (which was about to expire in October 2016), it usually took 2-4 weeks to process. But I received my residence permit in question only in May 2017 because of the operation transfer from Poliisi to Maahanmuuttovirasto. That can be a long wait if abnormalties happen. Nothing to be worried because you indeed cannot do anything to speed up the process.

Regarding passing through passport control, unlikely we have that chance in upcoming few months (sadly but true unfortunately). During the renewal process, I flew out of Schengen area with my expired residence permit and the application receipt. You should not have any problems at Finnish border but other Schengen borders might be hectic because the application receipt was only in Finnish and Swedish. Avoid any travels outside Schengen area if you are not a passport holder of EU visa-waiver country.

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:21 am

Hi Rick,
Thanks for the reply. I do have one question though : what is that "operation transfer between poliisi and migri" that you refer to?
I'm currently back home in Canada (previously planned trip here to visit parents ) and got stuck with the covid situation. It's pretty tough with wife and kid in Finland and myself here, but nothing we can do. If the renewed permit is issued while I'm still stuck here with covid, then I'll have it delivered by mail if not, as a Canadian citizen, I can access EU for 3 months without any difficulty but I'll still follow your lead and always have the print of the migri initiation certificate.