Finnish Song - Could anyone help me?

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Andreiaclave

Post by Andreiaclave » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:34 pm

Hello,

Could anyone translate this lyrics please?

Keskellä häävalssin menon,haikeaks käy
nuorikon mieli. Jäävät rakkaat
tanhut tänne pois matkaa vie
Jäävät nyt äiti ja kotipiha, puut ja kuistilla kukat, lutit, aitat. kaikki ne tänne jättää mää saan
Nuoruuden huolettoman pois annan morsius kruunua kannan, mennyt luoksein ei palaa koskaan pois matkaa vie
Jäävät nyt äitee ja kotipiha, puut ja kuistilla kukat, lutit, aitat Kaikki ne tänne jättää mää saan
Pystynkö itse mä kodin luomaan?Yhtä länpimän hellän, päivän paisteen
Pirttihin tuomaan, pois matkaa vie.
Jäävät nyt äitee ja kotipiha, puut ja kuistille kukat, lutit, aitat. Kaikki ne tänne jättää mää saan

What comes up on Google translator is a bit of a mess I think.
I would be extremely grateful. This is for a cultural project in Lisbon. Thank you.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Valinnan vapaus

Re: Finnish Song - Could anyone help me?

Post by Valinnan vapaus » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:44 pm

Good choice you guys! I hadn't heard it before but I like it.

Approximate:

"In the middle of the wedding waltz, this newly-wed wife gets melancholy. The beloved home grounds will stay behind. I'm going away.
Mother and the yard, the trees and the flowers on the porch, the lofts, the granaries, all of them I will have to give up.
My carefree youth I relinquish, I bear the bridal crown, the past will never return. I'm going away.
Mother and the yard, the trees and the flowers on the porch, the lofts, the granaries, all of them I will have to give up.
Can I make such a warm and tender home myself, bring the daylight into the cabin? I'm going away.
Mother and the yard, the trees and the flowers on the porch, the lofts, the granaries, all of them I will have to give up."

That one word "lutit" is from a dialect, but judging by the context, it's almost certainly amongs the buildings of the barnyard. Possibly just a variant of "luhtit" which would mean the kind of loft on the second floor of a storehouse (where apparently young women might have slept).

Also here's a corrected version of the Finnish lyrics (to the best of my ability):

Keskellä häävalssin menon haikeaks käy nuorikon mieli. Jäävät rakkaat tanhuat tänne. Pois matka vie.
Jäävät nyt äitee ja kotopiha, puut ja kuistilla kukat, lutit, aitat, kaikki ne tänne jättää mä saan.
Nuoruuden huolettoman pois annan, morsiuskruunua kannan, mennyt luoksein ei palaa koskaan. Pois matka vie.
Jäävät nyt äitee ja kotopiha, puut ja kuistilla kukat, lutit, aitat, kaikki ne tänne jättää mä saan.
Pystynkö itse mä kodin luomaan yhtä lämpimän, hellän, päivänpaisteen pirttihin tuomaan? Pois matka vie.

zetorpilot

Post by zetorpilot » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:59 pm

Any chance of a link to a performance of this song? Where did you get the lyrics from?

Valinnan vapaus

Post by Valinnan vapaus » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:57 pm

He linked it in his other post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKud-mjAMUU

zetorpilot

Post by zetorpilot » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:04 pm

Valinnan vapaus wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:57 pm
He linked it in his other post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKud-mjAMUU
Thanks 👍