Extended Residency Permit Application 2020- Family ties

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
FinlandGirl

Re: Extended Residency Permit Application 2020- Family ties

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:44 am

Maeke wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:21 am
Thanks for the reply. I do have one question though : what is that "operation transfer between poliisi and migri" that you refer to?
RP extensions used to be handled by the police, but now they are handled by Migri.
Delays during this transition are not relevant for you today.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rickx1234

Post by rickx1234 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:26 am

Maeke wrote:
Hi Rick,
Thanks for the reply. I do have one question though : what is that "operation transfer between poliisi and migri" that you refer to?
I'm currently back home in Canada (previously planned trip here to visit parents ) and got stuck with the covid situation. It's pretty tough with wife and kid in Finland and myself here, but nothing we can do. If the renewed permit is issued while I'm still stuck here with covid, then I'll have it delivered by mail if not, as a Canadian citizen, I can access EU for 3 months without any difficulty but I'll still follow your lead and always have the print of the migri initiation certificate.
Residence permit matters were handled by poliisi before 2017 and there were huge backlogs when all these applications were transferred to migri for handling. Situation right now may differ from that as migri seems running ''normally'' but I do expect somehow delays. Your extended permit should be delivered before May but I do not remember whether you can authorise anyone to pick up the permit for you. The permit is supposed to be delivered to your Finnish residential address by registered mail and Posti may return it back to migri if applicant fails to pick up. Better to check with migri immediately once your permit is approved.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:48 pm

Maeke wrote:
Change of the competent authority that happened years ago and is not relevant for applications now.

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:07 am

Ugh 😭😭Already 50 days in Enter Finland since fingerprints and proving my identity and application is still "waiting for processing". (extended oleskelulupa based on family ties, normally 31 days ). I know the website says covid might affect processing times and I know some folks got it in 2 months but it's still unsettling to wait.
Wonder if I should "ping" them by adding additional docs or I should just be patient.
Any thoughts?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:20 am

Maeke wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:07 am
Ugh 😭😭Already 50 days in Enter Finland since fingerprints and proving my identity and application is still "waiting for processing". (extended oleskelulupa based on family ties, normally 31 days ). I know the website says covid might affect processing times and I know some folks got it in 2 months but it's still unsettling to wait.
Wonder if I should "ping" them by adding additional docs or I should just be patient.
Any thoughts?
If everyone starts to add extra things for processing applications, it will only slow Migri down more. Sit tight and be patient.

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:48 am

As always, sound advices from you.
You are right.

mkarshiev

Post by mkarshiev » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:16 pm

Hi Maeke,

have you had any response to your application?

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:42 pm

@mkarshiev

So far, my application is still at the 'Waiting for processing' stage, and at this point it has been more than 2 months and 2 weeks. So I contacted Migri last week to inquire about why it's long and the processing time checker indicates an average of 1 month and a maximum of 2 months for Extended permit based on family ties. I have to say they were really good and thorough in their answers (we had 4 back and forth emails) ,and in a nutshell, this is what they said :
''Hello again!
I understand the fact that outdated information on our webpages worseness the confusion and I apologize for that. Hopefully, our PR/technical department will have the webpage and the calculator’s algorithms updated soon.
The 9 months for processing the applications based on family ties (no matter the type of application- first or extended) is the deadline based on Aliens’ act (art 69a): Finnish Immigration Service is bounded by law to process the application based on family ties in max 9 months from the date when an application has been lodged.
Because in these exceptional times is really difficult to make clear and precise estimations, the maximum processing time imposed by law has been chosen as serving best all the inquires (permits based on family ties).
Considering the fact that these exceptional times affect on both our customers and on our provided services (eg. closed service points, possibility to apply for the renewal by e-mail, prioritized processes for the applicants involved in the key labor areas), please check our frequently asked questions about the effects of the coronavirus: https://migri.fi/en/handling-matters-du ... s-epidemic https://migri.fi/en/faq
We will contact you if we need additional information for your application.
Have a great day!

''
So, as a summary, the Covid situation has greatly affected the processing times and they are focussing now on key work permits. So now, their only legal bonding parameter means that regardless of First or Extended, they will process it under the 9 months, and as long as you file your permit application prior to the expiration of the current one, you still keep all acquired rights (rights to work, study,etc...) that you had under the previous permit. It can be 3 months like It can be 8 months. So I stopped worrying and it will come whenever it comes. They are doing a great job at Migri so I'll let them do their thing.

Hope it helps.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:15 pm

Maeke wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:42 pm
and as long as you file your permit application prior to the expiration of the current one, you still keep all acquired rights (rights to work, study,etc...) that you had under the previous permit.
You do lose the right to enter other Schengen and EU countries you had under the old permit until you get the extension.

Apart from that this is a general rule:
https://migri.fi/en/extended-permit
Migri wrote: Apply for an extended permit before your residence permit expires. Once you do so, your application will be pending and your right to work will remain in accordance with your old permit.

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:45 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:15 pm
You do lose the right to enter other Schengen and EU countries you had under the old permit until you get the extension.
Indeed, true as a general rule. One exception is if the applicant is citizen of a country which allows him/her to enter all EU countries without a visa for 90 days. Then they might not stay for longer than 90 days in any EU countries except Finland, while their application is pending. Of course in these covid times, Traveling outside of country borders is not an option.

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Tue May 19, 2020 11:45 pm

Alright folks,
Just wanted to share some good news : finally on enterFinland
''TIIVISTELMÄ/SUMMARY
- You have been granted an extended residence permit on the basis of family ties ...... You will receive your residence permit card within
2–3 weeks by post.'''

so as a summary, I proved my identity on Feb 19th (applied on Feb 06th) and I got the decision today, so exactly 3 months !
It's a very good timeline. Great job by Migri !

Polar_velo

Post by Polar_velo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:01 pm

Hei
To which email address did you send your email?
I have been waiting for more than 2 months, and it is still waiting to be processed..