Being Employed is a Must to open a Bank Account?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Maaria

Post by Maaria » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:44 pm

Is it a must to be employed to be able to open a bank account? OP bank said along with all other residency related documents, they want a job contract as well.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Being Employed is a Must to open a Bank Account?

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:54 pm

Maaria wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:44 pm
Is it a must to be employed to be able to open a bank account? OP bank said along with all other residency related documents, they want a job contract as well.
You don't need to have a Finnish bank account but you do need a SEPA account because the law requires salaries to be paid with wire transfers. If you want a Finnish bank account, they can't legally require you to have a job contract. Every resident is entitled to basic banking services. Ask for "peruspankkipalvelut".

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:07 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:54 pm
You don't need to have a Finnish bank account but you do need a SEPA account because the law requires salaries to be paid with wire transfers. If you want a Finnish bank account, they can't legally require you to have a job contract. Every resident is entitled to basic banking services. Ask for "peruspankkipalvelut".
We were trying to open an account for my spouse at OP bank, they said we have to bring a job contract for my spouse. They said as a toinimini, I could write him a job contract. Even then if there is no inflow of money after opening the account, they will then close the account.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:33 pm

Maaria wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:07 pm
We were trying to open an account for my spouse at OP bank, they said we have to bring a job contract for my spouse. They said as a toinimini, I could write him a job contract. Even then if there is no inflow of money after opening the account, they will then close the account.
https://www.finanssivalvonta.fi/en/Cons ... -services/

neganur

Post by neganur » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:18 pm

OP bank has always seemingly acted "special".

And that they tell you to become a "fake" employer for your spouse just shows how bloody clueless they are. Do not give them a paper like that.

Do yourself a favour and go to Nordea or Danske Bank. They're not perfect either but at least they do give you an account.
(and try to also get online banking ID, it makes life so much easier in many many regards)

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:20 pm

neganur wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:18 pm
OP bank has always seemingly acted "special".

And that they tell you to become a "fake" employer for your spouse just shows how bloody clueless they are. Do not give them a paper like that.

Do yourself a favour and go to Nordea or Danske Bank. They're not perfect either but at least they do give you an account.
(and try to also get online banking ID, it makes life so much easier in many many regards)
No, they said I have to pay salary into the account of my spouse and if there is no inflow of salary into the account, they will close the account.

So Nordea or Danske bank don't ask for a job contract?

Yes bank id is the main purpose of opening the account.

neganur

Post by neganur » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:44 pm

In case it wasn't clear.

It is a basic right to have a bank account in Finland.

Employed or not has zero impact.

EDIT: if you pay salary, what does that make you? An employer. Do you have a business registered? It eludes me how a bank can suggest this to you...either it's a very poor translation or they are being extremely ridiculous.

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:00 am

neganur wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:44 pm
In case it wasn't clear.

It is a basic right to have a bank account in Finland.

Employed or not has zero impact.

EDIT: if you pay salary, what does that make you? An employer. Do you have a business registered? It eludes me how a bank can suggest this to you...either it's a very poor translation or they are being extremely ridiculous.
Yes I am self employed with a registered toinimini.

I get it that it's basic legal rights to get a bank account. But looks like they are not following that. Does Nordea or Danske bank follow this? I will contact them tomorrow and see what they say.

neganur

Post by neganur » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:48 am

As you can read in the consumer protection website the other poster referred to, OP bank can only reject your request if they have reasonable evidence that your spouse is laundering money or that they cannot verify his identity (the passport versus ID card game etc).

It even states that they have to inform you for free, in writing, the specific reason why they are refusing to open a basic account for him. You could then complain about the company to the consumer ombudsman etc but really, save yourself the headache. They clearly don't want him as customer :|

I would also maybe recommend S-pankki. Their account does not cost any fees if you become a member with one of the S-osuuskauppa (like HOK-Elanto, costs 100 EUR last time I checked and if you buy groceries with HOK-Elanto partners anyway you'll make that money back in a couple of months worth of bonus) you have a big discount on the S-pankki because it is owned by the Osuuskaupat group (S-ryhmä).

So as long as he doesn't want a credit card of course. Getting a basic debit card should work just fine. Perhaps you already have an S-card yourself? He could get disposition rights on a shared household account for example in addition to his own account with S-pannki. That worked very well with my spouse.

The only disadvantage is that S-pankki's websites and online banking are Finnish/Swedish only while Danske Bank has English.

neganur

Post by neganur » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:11 am

btw, Nordea is not my first choice either since many of my foreign study friends seem to report similar issues with them.

S-pankki should deliver.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:52 am

Maaria wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:20 pm
You can also get that without bank account.

neganur

Post by neganur » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:00 am

Good point actually, if online ID is the only reason. (however not having a bank account is not really convenient in Finland :P)

If you're referring to mobile certificate (mobiilivarmenne), then you do need bank ID to authenticate the very first time if you try to do it online.

At e.g. an Elisa store (physically) you can register mobile certificate without bank ID.

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:15 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:52 am
Maaria wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:20 pm
You can also get that without bank account.
Are you referring to mobile certificate? It's not possible to get a mobile certificate without a post paid monthly subscription which will cost at least €22.90 monthly. This is what Elisa told us.

Or is it possible to get just a bank id without getting a bank account from any bank?

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:20 am

neganur wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:48 am

I would also maybe recommend S-pankki. Their account does not cost any fees if you become a member with one of the S-osuuskauppa (like HOK-Elanto, costs 100 EUR last time I checked and if you buy groceries with HOK-Elanto partners anyway you'll make that money back in a couple of months worth of bonus) you have a big discount on the S-pankki because it is owned by the Osuuskaupat group (S-ryhmä).

So as long as he doesn't want a credit card of course. Getting a basic debit card should work just fine. Perhaps you already have an S-card yourself? He could get disposition rights on a shared household account for example in addition to his own account with S-pannki. That worked very well with my spouse.

The only disadvantage is that S-pankki's websites and online banking are Finnish/Swedish only while Danske Bank has English.
Sounds good! Does S-pankki require a Finnish ID card issued by Finnish police?

neganur

Post by neganur » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:22 am

(passport answer is further down)

I have to ask, and I by no means mean to criticise...if it is your spouse and I'm assuming that means a henkilötunnus exists. Why not have a Finnish ID? It makes dealing with this kind of issue (and many others) so much easier. I know that Finns don't need an ID card and very often only have a driver's license to use as ID. For non-Finns this is not quite as easy :) The ID card immediately verifies the henkilötunnus of a foreigner. (yes I agree the cost to get it is a bit high but I really think that in the end over the course of many years it is absolutely helpful to have one).

And I recommend this to my students as well, even if they only stay for 6-10 months. The invested 50 EUR helps to avoid a lot of of the standard 'harassment' foreigners have to endure with seemingly simple tasks.

By the way! The cheapest non-prepaid contract from e.g. Elisa (Tarka Perus, with 1 Mbit internet) is about 10 EUR per month and works for mobile certificate (at additional 2.90 per month). Is your spouse under 26 by chance... 22.90 sounds very much like the person at Elisa tried to offer a "Saunalahti Huoleton 150M-nuorisoliittymän". It sucks that pre-paid cards can't be used but then again, the purpose is to authenticate your identity. So it has to be connected to a place of residence etc. I absolutely respect if your preference is to not use a subscription contract. However, without it there can be no mobile certificate.

(Passport answer starts here)

Anyhow, if I recall correctly, you absolutely need a passport (= a valid travel ID, some ID cards are not accepted as being valid travel documents for foreigners even if they work fine inside the EU like foe example the German "Personalausweis". So better bring the passport).

Additionally, since no Finnish ID card exists to prove the henkilötunnus, you must have a document that can do that. I forgot what does that, something from maistraatti? Probably the paper that registers your right of residence (EU Citizens) or residence permit (other countries) since it is very likely that they will ask for it. This is the only way to prove that the Finnish authorities have confirmed your identity.

This, together with the passport, should satisfy the bank's need to identify you.

PS, it may take a while (4 weeks or so) until the bank card arrives by mail.