can I sue my ex-employer 1 year after being fired ?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
missndasaadi

Post by missndasaadi » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:30 am

hi,
i used to work for a finnish company which fired me yesterday.

i was fired for reasons that are wrong, and previously to that, i was subject to my work being constantly sabotaged by one of my employers (company has multiple owners), I endured psychological violence, harassment and humiliation by my employer but also by one of my colleagues who's his friend
i can't sue my ex-employer for now because of my social situation and background.

question:
let's say i will succeed to find a new job before my residence permit expires, i will work for few months to save enough money to sue my ex-employer: is it possible to sue my former employer a long time (maybe 1 year) after being fired ?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: can I sue my ex-employer 1 year after being fired ?

Post by heretostay » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:08 pm

You don’t need to save money. Contact your union and they have lawyers that will help for free. If you aren’t a member you still might be able to join today and call them for help tomorrow. YMMV

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:35 pm

missndasaadi wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:30 am
i was fired for reasons that are wrong,
If you want to do anything regarding that, you shouldn't wait a year.
This has a better chance of success since they have to show proof for the reasons.
missndasaadi wrote:
and previously to that, i was subject to my work being constantly sabotaged by one of my employers (company has multiple owners), I endured psychological violence, harassment and humiliation by my employer but also by one of my colleagues who's his friend
What exactly happened, and how are you able to prove it in court?
missndasaadi wrote:
let's say i will succeed to find a new job before my residence permit expires,
Migri might cancel a residence permit for work when the former employer informs them that a former employee is no longer working for them.
missndasaadi wrote:
is it possible to sue my former employer a long time (maybe 1 year) after being fired ?
What exactly do you want to achieve by suing?

Your best chance is taking legal actions right now against your firing, for getting some financial compensation for that.

The rest sounds hard to prove in court, and even if proven and considered unlawful you wouldn't get what you are dreaming of.
If you suspect anything that happened might be punishable under criminal law, you shouldn't wait a year before going to the police.

For proper advice I would recommend the free service from https://www.sak.fi/en/working-life/immigrants

missndasaadi

Post by missndasaadi » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:28 am

yeah i lost the few harassment evidences i got; but speaking about the work itself, i still have some evidence

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:48 pm

missndasaadi wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:28 am
yeah i lost the few harassment evidences i got; but speaking about the work itself, i still have some evidence
The reasonable way forward for you is to move on and stop focussing your life on hope for revenge later.
Life is not fair, get used to it.

missndasaadi

Post by missndasaadi » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:53 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:48 pm
The reasonable way forward for you is to move on and stop focussing your life on hope for revenge later.
asking for justice legally is revenge ? there wouldn't be lawyers, judges, courts ... if everyone thinks like you.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:36 pm

missndasaadi wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:53 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:48 pm
asking for justice legally is revenge ? there wouldn't be lawyers, judges, courts ... if everyone thinks like you.
Your best chance to get justice legally would be on the firing, and you are forfeiting that if you are not taking legal action on that immediately.

If you choose to not legally challenge your firing, what do you want to sue for later?
Usually the goal of your legal actions would be to make your employer stop it, but this is pointless after you have accepted that you were fired for good reason.

Brent

Post by Brent » Wed May 20, 2020 9:06 pm

You have 24 months to sue your ex-employer.