Researcher permit for unemployed phd student?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Yuriko

Post by Yuriko » Thu May 07, 2020 9:48 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm very anxious and desperately need help. :ohno: I'm a foreign phd student here in Finland, currently holding a researcher-type permit, as this year I have been employed by my university. But I failed to get my employment contract for the next academic year (means I'm unemployed :( ). Does it mean that I won't be able to get a researcher-type permit? (not even try to apply?) I've been trying to apply for full-time personal grant for the next academic year but all got rejected. So by the time my current residence permit expires, it seems that I won't be able to provide any employment contract or proof of salary/means of support. Do I have to leave Finland and drop my studies then? What can I do to continue with my doctoral studies here?
Thank you very much for your suggestions. :(

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Researcher permit for unemployed phd student?

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu May 07, 2020 11:00 pm

Yuriko wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:48 pm
I'm a foreign phd student here in Finland, currently holding a researcher-type permit, as this year I have been employed by my university. But I failed to get my employment contract for the next academic year (means I'm unemployed :( ). Does it mean that I won't be able to get a researcher-type permit? (not even try to apply?) I've been trying to apply for full-time personal grant for the next academic year but all got rejected. So by the time my current residence permit expires, it seems that I won't be able to provide any employment contract or proof of salary/means of support. Do I have to leave Finland and drop my studies then? What can I do to continue with my doctoral studies here?
https://migri.fi/en/researcher
Migri wrote:If you are not in an employment relationship, you must have at least EUR 1,000 per month at your disposal for your living costs in Finland. You can secure your income with funds
If you have EUR 12,000 in your bank account you can get a researcher-type permit for another year, with EUR 24,000 for two years.

rinso

Post by rinso » Fri May 08, 2020 7:01 am

No money = no permit.
You could marry a Finn or find another job to get a permit. But if you start from scratch on those paths you probably won't have enough time before your permit expires.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Fri May 08, 2020 8:21 am

Sounds like your best option is to try to get a loan to get the money migri needs to see in your account for next year.