Moving to Finland from Russia

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
zayne

Post by zayne » Thu May 07, 2020 10:45 pm

Hello everyone!

I am an EU citizen and I am planning to move to Finland near the end of 2021. My fiancee is from Russia and she also wants to move in with as we're also planning to get married in Finland. I've been reading through countless of information on migri.fi but I am getting somewhat confused.

I am not exactly sure what permits I am eligible to as an EU citizen and I am assuming my fiancee, when she gets married is eligible for "Residence card in Finland for a family member of an EU citizen".

We're also unsure what documents we need to get married.

Thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Moving to Finland from Russia

Post by Upphew » Fri May 08, 2020 9:17 am

zayne wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:45 pm
Hello everyone!

I am an EU citizen and I am planning to move to Finland near the end of 2021. My fiancee is from Russia and she also wants to move in with as we're also planning to get married in Finland. I've been reading through countless of information on migri.fi but I am getting somewhat confused.

I am not exactly sure what permits I am eligible to as an EU citizen and I am assuming my fiancee, when she gets married is eligible for "Residence card in Finland for a family member of an EU citizen".

Thanks
https://www.infofinland.fi/en/living-in ... check-list
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri May 08, 2020 10:18 am

zayne wrote:
I am not exactly sure what permits I am eligible to as an EU citizen
No permit needed, you just have to register your right of residence after you moved to Finland.
https://migri.fi/en/registration-of-right-of-residence
zayne wrote:
and I am assuming my fiancee, when she gets married is eligible for "Residence card in Finland for a family member of an EU citizen".
Yes.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri May 08, 2020 10:35 am

zayne wrote:
If you have lived together for two years, she is already considered your family member.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri May 08, 2020 10:56 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:35 am
zayne wrote:
If you have lived together for two years, she is already considered your family member.
From a practical point of view marriage is easier.
The formalities for marrying in Finland or getting a marriage abroad recognized in Finland are standardized.
For proving that you were living together for 2 years abroad it is less clear what kind of documentation is required translated for Migri to recognize that.

fintel

Post by fintel » Fri May 08, 2020 1:53 pm

zayne wrote:
In order to get married in Finland you need a "certificate of no impediment to marriage".

This means that you submit a copy of your own passport and your partner to the maistraatti office and they determine whether either one of you have been previously married or have something in the way of your marriage. For example these impediments can stop a marriage from happening:

Age: If the man is under 18 years of age, or the woman is under 17 years of age, then their marriage is invalid. Prior bond: Previous marriages, if you have been previously married then you cannot marry again until divorced. Consanguinity: The parties are not closely related by blood.

So this "certificate of no impediment to marriage" is granted when everything checks out and the marriage is OK to proceed. Then you make ANOTHER appointment at the maistraatti office so that someone can conduct the marriage.

Once marriage certificate is issued, that's all you need for a residence card for your wife in Finland.

https://dvv.fi/en/examination-of-impedi ... o-marriage
Image ulkomaalaisella henkilöä

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri May 08, 2020 2:11 pm

fintel wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:53 pm
zayne wrote:
In order to get married in Finland you need a "certificate of no impediment to marriage".

This means that you submit a copy of your own passport and your partner to the maistraatti office and they determine whether either one of you have been previously married or have something in the way of your marriage.
Please do not follow this incorrect advice.

fintel

Post by fintel » Fri May 08, 2020 2:25 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:11 pm
Please do not follow this incorrect advice.
Please ignore FinlandGirl because she is young and learning.

You must absolutely do this formal process here. I was just at a friend's wedding ceremony which took place at the magistrate's office in December 2019 and they followed this exact same procedure. You need the magistrate's office to do an investigation. In Finnish, this is called:

"Pyyntö avioliiton esteiden tutkinnasta"

You can download the government form here:

Finnish version:
https://esteidentutkinta.fi/pyynto-avio ... nnasta.pdf

English version:
https://www.docdroid.net/daUDKo4/impedi ... rriage-pdf

The paper form must be signed by two witnesses, unless you sign the form at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency. If you visit the Agency, you must prove your identity with a valid personal ID document.

In order to get a permission to marry, you need a certificate from Russian government or municipality to say that she is not already married in Russia. You need a similar form from your own country which says you are not already married. You can also do it remotely by mail (and not visit the maistraatti office).

You can submit this form along with your passport copy and two certificates from your own respective countries to the maistraatti office and they will then give you a license to marry. And you must get married within 4 months after this. Schedule a date to marry within that time. You also need two witnesses at the marriage ceremony. And the actual ceremony takes about 10 minutes.

Last edited by fintel on Fri May 08, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri May 08, 2020 3:12 pm

fintel wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:53 pm
This means that you submit a copy of your own passport and your partner to the maistraatti office and they determine whether either one of you have been previously married or have something in the way of your marriage.
If you would read the sources you provide you would understand why your advice is incorrect.
fintel wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:25 pm
Finnish version:
https://esteidentutkinta.fi/pyynto-avio ... nnasta.pdf
"Ulkomaan kansalaisesta tai ulkomailla asuvasta voidaan tarvita kihlakumppanin toimittamia ulkomaan viranomaisten antamia todistuksia esteiden tutkintaa varten."

fintel

Post by fintel » Fri May 08, 2020 3:20 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:12 pm
If you would read the sources you provide you would understand why your advice is incorrect.

"Ulkomaan kansalaisesta tai ulkomailla asuvasta voidaan tarvita kihlakumppanin toimittamia ulkomaan viranomaisten antamia todistuksia esteiden tutkintaa varten."
You are quoting exactly this: "Certificates issued by a engagement partner and issued by foreign authorities may be required for a foreign national or resident abroad to investigate obstacles".

A Russian woman is a foreign national, she needs a certificate from Russia to say she is not already married in Russia or elsewhere. I would think an EU citizen coming to Finland is also a foreign national and would need to show such a certificate from his own country.

The investigation into marriage must take place before a permission to marry can be issued and then they can get married.

I would advise the OP to ignore FinlandGirl on this topic of marriage.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri May 08, 2020 3:30 pm

fintel wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:20 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:12 pm

You are quoting exactly this: "Certificates issued by a engagement partner and issued by foreign authorities may be required for a foreign national or resident abroad to investigate obstacles".

A Russian woman is a foreign national, she needs a certificate from Russia to say she is not already married in Russia or elsewhere. I would think an EU citizen coming to Finland is also a foreign national and would need to show such a certificate from his own country.
Exactly.

And not your incorrect "submit a copy of your own passport and your partner to the maistraatti office and they determine".
Finnish authorities cannot determine anything just based on a foreign passport.

fintel

Post by fintel » Fri May 08, 2020 3:33 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:30 pm
Exactly.

And not your incorrect "submit a copy of your own passport and your partner to the maistraatti office and they determine".
Finnish authorities cannot determine anything just based on a foreign passport.
Passport copies is one requirement. Certificates from own country is another requirement. My advice was fundamentally correct. You just like to disagree and bring in your feminist agenda into every topic. Please do not quote me anywhere in your posts. Provide your advice separately from my advice.

zayne

Post by zayne » Fri May 08, 2020 11:10 pm

Thank you all very much for this information, I have looked through all these links and these information but I wasn't sure if my findings were correct. Thank you for the confirmation. :)

Another question, what steps do we have to do after marriage for my wife to be able to get "Residence card in Finland for a family member of an EU citizen"?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat May 09, 2020 9:51 am

zayne wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:10 pm
Another question, what steps do we have to do after marriage for my wife to be able to get "Residence card in Finland for a family member of an EU citizen"?
https://enterfinland.fi/eServices/info/europeanpermits

fintel

Post by fintel » Sat May 09, 2020 4:00 pm

zayne wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:10 pm
The population register can issue a marriage certificate in a few days after the marriage.

A month or two before the marriage date, you can open a new case for a residence card for family member of EU citizen. Migri will issue you a diary number once you book an appointment for fingerprinting and complete it. Take your marriage certificate and passport there with you and you will receive a decision shortly after.

Book reservation here:
https://migri.vihta.com/public/migri/#/reservation

Apply for card here:
https://migri.fi/en/residence-card-for-family-members