Anyone come to Finland as a EU long-term resident?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
FinlandGirl

Re: Anyone come to Finland as a EU long-term resident?

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri May 08, 2020 11:49 am

diablogun wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:44 am
FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:36 am
diablogun wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:30 am

There's no equivalency whatsoever. There is zero right conferred to move and work between either the usa or Mexico. They are two separate sovereign countries.
Hungary and Finland are two separate sovereign countries.
Two separate countries joined in a union that allows free movement of citizens and the right to work. Nothing whatsoever like the US and Mexico.
The EU gives more rights to citizens than NAFTA, but NAFTA and EU are similar in not allowing unlimited free movement of non-citizens.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

diablogun

Post by diablogun » Fri May 08, 2020 12:01 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:49 am
diablogun wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:44 am
FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:36 am

Hungary and Finland are two separate sovereign countries.
Two separate countries joined in a union that allows free movement of citizens and the right to work. Nothing whatsoever like the US and Mexico.
The EU gives more rights to citizens than NAFTA, but NAFTA and EU are similar in not allowing unlimited free movement of non-citizens.
Nafta is a trade agreement, nothing more. The movement of citizens within the eu is a fundamental principal of the union.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri May 08, 2020 12:24 pm

diablogun wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:01 pm
The movement of citizens within the eu is a fundamental principal of the union.
The movement of non-citizens within the eu is not a principal of the union.

Politically even the movement of citizens is not popular everywhere and was a major reason for Brexit, general free movement of non-citizens is not something the EU countries would agree to do in the foreseeable future.

diablogun

Post by diablogun » Fri May 08, 2020 12:31 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:24 pm
diablogun wrote:
The movement of citizens within the eu is a fundamental principal of the union.
The movement of non-citizens within the eu is not a principal of the union.

Politically even the movement of citizens is not popular everywhere and was a major reason for Brexit, general free movement of non-citizens is not something the EU countries would agree to do in the foreseeable future.
The movement of non-citizen long-term is covered by this directive from 2003, unlike anything between the us and Mexico. I appreciate your help in any case. Any suggestions on where to settle down around Helsinki? I've looked at vantaa and porvoo so far.

rinso

Post by rinso » Fri May 08, 2020 1:06 pm

that allows free movement of citizens
There is a difference between the rights of citizens and of residents.

fintel

Post by fintel » Fri May 08, 2020 2:16 pm

diablogun wrote:
There's no equivalency whatsoever. There is zero right conferred to move and work between either the usa or Mexico. They are two separate sovereign countries. The illegals in the usa break the law to enter, then break the law to work off the books. It's not a good way of doing things.
USA distinguishes itself from the rest of the world in this regard and requires visas for most countries. Poland has been a long term ally of United States and only recently acquired visa free entry to USA in 2019. Mexico will probably never have visa free entry there because of the past relationship with USA as being seen as the source country for all illegal immigration. Forget about any work permit or other types of residence. Last time I checked an investor class visa required a million dollar investment and a decade of waiting time for citizenship.

However, as a European you might wonder why an agreement like NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) can't be implemented across the board in North and South America which would allow free movement of it's nationals. Also USA sees itself completely independent of any other country so it would probably never agree to free movement with most other countries. You can't walk around in America and say "Oh I am a citizen of NAFTA". Just won't work.

Finland and Hungary are two separate sovereign states but joined by EU so I think that at the end of the day the EU states have more tolerance towards each other and it works for them.
Image ulkomaalaisella henkilöä

diablogun

Post by diablogun » Fri May 08, 2020 2:56 pm

fintel wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:16 pm
diablogun wrote:
There's no equivalency whatsoever. There is zero right conferred to move and work between either the usa or Mexico. They are two separate sovereign countries. The illegals in the usa break the law to enter, then break the law to work off the books. It's not a good way of doing things.
USA distinguishes itself from the rest of the world in this regard and requires visas for most countries. Poland has been a long term ally of United States and only recently acquired visa free entry to USA in 2019. Mexico will probably never have visa free entry there because of the past relationship with USA as being seen as the source country for all illegal immigration. Forget about any work permit or other types of residence. Last time I checked an investor class visa required a million dollar investment and a decade of waiting time for citizenship.

However, as a European you might wonder why an agreement like NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) can't be implemented across the board in North and South America which would allow free movement of it's nationals. Also USA sees itself completely independent of any other country so it would probably never agree to free movement with most other countries. You can't walk around in America and say "Oh I am a citizen of NAFTA". Just won't work.

Finland and Hungary are two separate sovereign states but joined by EU so I think that at the end of the day the EU states have more tolerance towards each other and it works for them.
Well said. The Visa waiver program addresses the need for friendly countries to enter the US for up to 90 days, but it is in effect a waiver for the physical need of a B1/B2 visa (business for meetings or tourism). It confers no right to work and does not allow for appeal. Additionally, if someone has ever had any problem getting a visa in the past, they cannot utilize visa waiver and must instead get a physical B1/B2 visa from the local US embassy.
Countries with historically high rates of illegal immigration are not eligible for Visa Waiver, such as Mexico or the Philippines.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri May 08, 2020 6:29 pm

diablogun wrote:
Nafta is a trade agreement, nothing more. The movement of citizens within the eu is a fundamental principal of the union.
Well Nafta does, for example, allow Canadian citizens to present themselves at the border for TN status and after admission begin working. Fundamentally both NAFTA (USCMA these days) and EU are built on international treaties which include mobility rights. The latter just has greater rights than the former.

fintel

Post by fintel » Fri May 08, 2020 8:12 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:29 pm
Well Nafta does, for example, allow Canadian citizens to present themselves at the border for TN status and after admission begin working. Fundamentally both NAFTA (USCMA these days) and EU are built on international treaties which include mobility rights. The latter just has greater rights than the former.
USA is usually not comfortable with anything alien. I was once pulled over for a speeding fine and showed my state of Georgia license to the police officer. I was driving my car in Arizona and the officer asked me why I didn't change my driving license to Arizona as soon as I moved there and increased my fine. Imagine presenting your Swiss driving license and mentioning the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic rules and you are most likely to get tasered in the face.

:)
Image ulkomaalaisella henkilöä

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Fri May 08, 2020 10:48 pm

diablogun wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:04 pm

HI again,

As per the EU directive on long-term residency, every country must allow long-term EU residents to live there if they desire, but the specifics are up to each country to implement. Finland can issue whatever residency they want, but they cannot disallow (unless for security reasons) long term Eu residents from coming there. The funny thing is, each country does this a little differently, and because the Long term eu status is pretty rare, you don't see much about it. It took me two months to get the exact answer in Sweden as to how it is handled permit-wise.

I don't have to work (I'm retired and 49), but if the opportunity arises to do some English editing/writing I might be interested. I speak Swedish and want my kids to learn it, so it wouldn't be necessary to conquer your insanely difficult language for purposes of citizenship later.

Where do you live? I have been looking at any of the various bi-lingual municipalities to settle down in, so the kids can go to Swedish school. Thanks for your answers, by the way :-)

Ithink the Finns I've met are wonderful, and the truth is I'm kind of boring and quiet, so I should fit right in :-)
If you already know Swedish, why not Sweden? Looks like they have more favourable regulation for EU long term residence.

diablogun

Post by diablogun » Fri May 08, 2020 11:23 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
diablogun wrote:
I know a bit about this, as I used to process those TNs and L1A/Bs (much more common) at the border. They are the only nationality that can apply for such positions (I think Chileans can for some status, but haven't seen it), and always have law firms do the paperwork. It is not a right at all, as I turned many down, and it is completely non-reviewable. Don't think the EU is in the habit of turning other EU members down, though of course it happens, I suppose.

By the way, it's not NAFTA anymore. The EU has no comparison at all to it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... _Agreement

diablogun

Post by diablogun » Fri May 08, 2020 11:26 pm

Maaria wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:48 pm
diablogun wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:04 pm

HI again,

As per the EU directive on long-term residency, every country must allow long-term EU residents to live there if they desire, but the specifics are up to each country to implement. Finland can issue whatever residency they want, but they cannot disallow (unless for security reasons) long term Eu residents from coming there. The funny thing is, each country does this a little differently, and because the Long term eu status is pretty rare, you don't see much about it. It took me two months to get the exact answer in Sweden as to how it is handled permit-wise.

I don't have to work (I'm retired and 49), but if the opportunity arises to do some English editing/writing I might be interested. I speak Swedish and want my kids to learn it, so it wouldn't be necessary to conquer your insanely difficult language for purposes of citizenship later.

Where do you live? I have been looking at any of the various bi-lingual municipalities to settle down in, so the kids can go to Swedish school. Thanks for your answers, by the way :-)

Ithink the Finns I've met are wonderful, and the truth is I'm kind of boring and quiet, so I should fit right in :-)
If you already know Swedish, why not Sweden? Looks like they have more favourable regulation for EU long term residence.
Sweden's an option for sure, but they have a much higher rate of crime. I think they treat the residency about the same, so it just comes to preference at that point.

diablogun

Post by diablogun » Fri May 08, 2020 11:30 pm

fintel wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:12 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
USA is usually not comfortable with anything alien. I was once pulled over for a speeding fine and showed my state of Georgia license to the police officer. I was driving my car in Arizona and the officer asked me why I didn't change my driving license to Arizona as soon as I moved there and increased my fine. Imagine presenting your Swiss driving license and mentioning the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic rules and you are most likely to get tasered in the face.

:)
LOL. I lived in AZ for 9 years and they have a high non-compliance with changing residency because people don't want to pay the registration fees until its about to run out. Problem is, the law saws they have to within 30 days I think.
My Swedish buddy got pulled over in CA and the cop looked at his license like he was an alien. He ended up just handing it back and walking away.

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Sat May 09, 2020 1:52 am

diablogun wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:26 pm
Sweden's an option for sure, but they have a much higher rate of crime. I think they treat the residency about the same, so it just comes to preference at that point.
I don't know much about the crime rate in Sweden, But from the Swedish migration website it seems that you can just transfer your current long term status from Hungary to Sweden. Here is the link:
https://www.migrationsverket.se/English ... dents.html

Have you seen this before?

rickx1234

Post by rickx1234 » Sat May 09, 2020 4:38 am

Maaria wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:52 am
diablogun wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:26 pm
I don't know much about the crime rate in Sweden, But from the Swedish migration website it seems that you can just transfer your current long term status from Hungary to Sweden. Here is the link:
https://www.migrationsverket.se/English ... dents.html

Have you seen this before?
It seems much easier in Sweden, pensioners are also eligible, that is written on the website.
https://www.migrationsverket.se/English ... ments.html

From migri.fi https://migri.fi/en/eu-residence-permit:
''An EU residence permit is valid until further notice. In other words, its period of validity is not limited. If you have an EU residence permit granted by a Schengen country, you may stay in another Schengen country for a maximum of 90 days. If your stay will be longer than 90 days, you must apply for a national residence permit in that country.''

The provisions for granting a Finnish residence permit are not as wide as in Sweden, at least a pensioner doesn't fall into any categories for residency in Finland, unless you have work, family tie or aim at opening a business here in Finland.

https://migri.fi/en/coming-to-finland-on-other-grounds
A temporary residency (Permit B) maybe granted to you, not all B holders are entitled to public medical coverage provided by Finland. I was on a B as I arrived at Finland some years ago. But is that what you are looking for?

Perhaps you may consider moving to Sweden until you get the Swedish citizenship. As a Nordic passport Union member holding a Swedish, Danish, Norwegian or Icelandic passport, you then no longer have to apply for residency through Finnish immigration. You can simply register at Digi ja väestötietovirasto and live as long as you wish. But then again, medicals are still at your own expense.