Non EU citizen moving to Finland, but sponsored and invited by a Finnish citizen (friend)

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
MBEE

Non EU citizen moving to Finland, but sponsored and invited by a Finnish citizen (friend)

Post by MBEE » Sun May 10, 2020 12:35 am

Please i need help with what type of visa to apply for or what to do concerning my plans to move to Finland to join my friend who is my sponsor or i would say my guardian , but under the Finnish law only child below 18 years old is considered as guardian , which i dont fall under officially.. what type of visa can i apply for ?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

inkku

Re: Non EU citizen moving to Finland, but sponsored and invited by a Finnish citizen (friend)

Post by inkku » Sun May 10, 2020 10:56 am

you can come only as a tourist for a short term visit (if you get the visa), you cannot move. there is no category as sponsorship.

rinso

Re: Non EU citizen moving to Finland, but sponsored and invited by a Finnish citizen (friend)

Post by rinso » Sun May 10, 2020 11:01 am

MBEE wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:35 am
Please i need help with what type of visa to apply for or what to do concerning my plans to move to Finland to join my friend who is my sponsor or i would say my guardian , but under the Finnish law only child below 18 years old is considered as guardian , which i dont fall under officially.. what type of visa can i apply for ?
Do you mean a visa for a short term visit or a residence permit for (semi)permanent stay?

fintel

Post by fintel » Sun May 10, 2020 6:06 pm

MBEE wrote:
Your friend cannot sponsor. He cannot be your guardian angel either. Maybe if it was a relationship type deal then it could work.

You can come on a tourist visa and go to job interviews and then apply for a work based permit.
Image ulkomaalaisella henkilöä

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun May 10, 2020 6:18 pm

fintel wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:06 pm
You can come on a tourist visa and go to job interviews and then apply for a work based permit.
This would be a waste of time, the chances of actually getting a job are zero in practice.

fintel

Post by fintel » Sun May 10, 2020 6:24 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:18 pm
This would be a waste of time, the chances of actually getting a job are zero in practice.
I know at least five people from overseas, 1 chef working at a restaurant, 2 software engineers working at Nokia and OP Bank, and 2 nurses who got hired within the past 3 months in Finland.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun May 10, 2020 6:28 pm

fintel wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:24 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:18 pm
I know at least five people from overseas, 1 chef working at a restaurant, 2 software engineers working at Nokia and OP Bank, and 2 nurses who got hired within the past 3 months in Finland.
For a software engineer with relevant skills or a nurse it is possible to get a job offer.
For the average foreigner this is not possible.

MBEE

Post by MBEE » Sun May 10, 2020 6:33 pm

inkku wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:56 am
you can come only as a tourist for a short term visit (if you get the visa), you cannot move. there is no category as sponsorship.
Thank you so much for your response,i really appreciate......pleas i would like to know if i can apply into UAS's and continue with my studies and get a residence permit with this tourist visa ,or if there is any other way this can be achieved,, because thats the plan for me when i get to Finland, which will all be sponsored and taken care of by my friend..thank you

MBEE

Post by MBEE » Sun May 10, 2020 6:54 pm

fintel wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:06 pm
MBEE wrote:
Your friend cannot sponsor. He cannot be your guardian angel either. Maybe if it was a relationship type deal then it could work.

I really appreciate your reply.. No, its not a relationship relationship type of deal, but im getting the invite from my friend (my guardian angel as you suppose) and im going to be dependent and taken care of by my friend, and also i want you to know that the plan for me is to get to Finland and apply into higher institutions to study computer programming / Information technology etc,,which will be sponsored by my friend,, and thats why im making this enquiries and curious as to what to do. Thanks a lot..

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun May 10, 2020 6:54 pm

But we don't know how average this poster is. There is hardly any information, besides he/she has a friend in Finland and is over18 yo.

fintel

Post by fintel » Sun May 10, 2020 6:59 pm

rinso wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:54 pm
But we don't know how average this poster is. There is hardly any information, besides he/she has a friend in Finland and is over18 yo.
FinlandGirl's big assumptions at play.

:D
Last edited by fintel on Sun May 10, 2020 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fintel

Post by fintel » Sun May 10, 2020 11:06 pm

MBEE wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:54 pm
I really appreciate your reply.. No, its not a relationship relationship type of deal, but im getting the invite from my friend (my guardian angel as you suppose) and im going to be dependent and taken care of by my friend, and also i want you to know that the plan for me is to get to Finland and apply into higher institutions to study computer programming / Information technology etc,,which will be sponsored by my friend,, and thats why im making this enquiries and curious as to what to do. Thanks a lot..
Is he your sugar daddy?

I would think that you would qualify for a study permit if you want to study computer programming. For this you will need to apply for a permit based on acceptance in a university and then ask your sugar daddy to put some money in your account to show that you can sustain yourself for the period of your educational degree. Let's say 30,000 eur for two years would be sufficient.

:D

inkku

Post by inkku » Sun May 10, 2020 11:59 pm

MBEE wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:33 pm
inkku wrote:
Thank you so much for your response,i really appreciate......pleas i would like to know if i can apply into UAS's and continue with my studies and get a residence permit with this tourist visa ,or if there is any other way this can be achieved,, because thats the plan for me when i get to Finland, which will all be sponsored and taken care of by my friend..thank you
Now, check previous postings here but my understanding is that you yourself (not another person) need to have the money on your bank account to finance your stay. And it needs to to be clear that they are yours.
You have missed the application deadlines for this year, so prepare for next year. Are there any courses starting in January?
And Btw, you do not need to tell any details here about your life or relationships here to nosy forum members. Keep them to your self, unless you deem it necessary to discuss about them.

MBEE

Post by MBEE » Mon May 11, 2020 1:26 am

inkku wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:59 pm
MBEE wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:33 pm
inkku wrote:
Now, check previous postings here but my understanding is that you yourself (not another person) need to have the money on your bank account to finance your stay. And it needs to to be clear that they are yours.
You have missed the application deadlines for this year, so prepare for next year. Are there any courses starting in January?
And Btw, you do not need to tell any details here about your life or relationships here to nosy forum members. Keep them to your self, unless you deem it necessary to discuss about them.
I already applied to some schools at the last joint application in January and strongly hoping for a positive feedback ,though two of the schools have already denied my admission ( i dont know if thats a good thing ), but im still hoping on the rest, but the fear of the uncertainty is what is bothering me actually , if i was not lucky enough to get into the schools , would i have to apply for a tourist visa or a visiting visa(on the basis of an invite from my friend ), but according to what you said if i get you correctly is that the fact that all my travel and residence would be financed and sponsored by my friend does not mean anything , even though im totally dependent on my friend , i still have to look independent for me to be able to get to Finland..
thanks a lot for the advise on the nosy ones too, i also try to ignore whatever is not beneficial to me and deduce the ones that i could benefit from from the opinions they have, we all have different level of understandings and intelligence, so it is what it is :)

fintel

Post by fintel » Mon May 11, 2020 8:45 pm

MBEE wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:26 am
im totally dependent on my friend