Unemployment Benefit for Self Employed due to Covid-19 and EU Right of Residence

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Maaria

Re: Unemployment Benefit for Self Employed due to Covid-19 and EU Right of Residence

Post by Maaria » Tue May 12, 2020 1:18 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:13 am

Why would you not take it?
I am more confused after reading everything. I am concerned if taking it will affect right of residence.

Re: Unemployment Benefit for Self Employed due to Covid-19 and EU Right of Residence

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue May 12, 2020 2:19 pm

Maaria wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:18 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:

I am more confused after reading everything. I am concerned if taking it will affect right of residence.
You and your family are in Finland based on work, not on sufficient means of support basis.
There is no limitation that you or your family members would not be allowed to apply for any benefits available.

And in practice cancelling a registration of a right of residence is not really an issue in any case.
The worst that might happen in practice is that a benefit you or your family members are applying for is not being granted.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue May 12, 2020 3:06 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:36 am
Finnish law is also fun when there is an income requirement for residence permits on family ties for spouses of non-EU citizens, but a few years ago the law was changed to make the spouse eligible for unemployment benefits.
Which change is this (act number would be best)? Seems weird as the constitution has been quite clear about providing unemployment benefits to everyone and I don't remember such a change.
FinlandGirl wrote:
Migri requires to have sufficient means of support, but it is not a problem for Migri when Kela anyhow pays benefits.
That's how the law is written so even if it sounds peculiar it's how the politicians have decided the system works.

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Tue May 12, 2020 3:16 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:19 pm
Maaria wrote:
FinlandGirl wrote:

You and your family are in Finland based on work, not on sufficient means of support basis.
There is no limitation that you or your family members would not be allowed to apply for any benefits available.

And in practice cancelling a registration of a right of residence is not really an issue in any case.
The worst that might happen in practice is that a benefit you or your family members are applying for is not being granted.
How about one year rule from 160(2)?

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue May 12, 2020 3:40 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:06 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Finnish law is also fun when there is an income requirement for residence permits on family ties for spouses of non-EU citizens, but a few years ago the law was changed to make the spouse eligible for unemployment benefits.
Which change is this (act number would be best)? Seems weird as the constitution has been quite clear about providing unemployment benefits to everyone and I don't remember such a change.
The change was that spouse income is no longer relevant for unemployment benefits from Kela.
The same spouse income Migri checks as basis for sufficient means of support.
First you have to show to Migri that the spouse already in Finland does have enough income that the family could live from that income, and then after receiving the residence permit you apply for unemployment benefits.

fintel

Post by fintel » Tue May 12, 2020 5:31 pm

Maaria wrote:
EU Citizens and their spouses have a natural right to live here. It is not an explicit permission granted by the government. These rights exists necessarily, inhere in every EU individual and family member, and can't be taken away. For example, humans have a natural right to life. A mother has a right to be with her child. These are sometimes called inalienable rights. Claiming unemployment benefit is not going to affect the right to live here and it cannot be ordinarily cancelled.
Last edited by fintel on Tue May 12, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image ulkomaalaisella henkilöä

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue May 12, 2020 6:11 pm

Maaria wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:16 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:19 pm
Maaria wrote:

How about one year rule from 160(2)?
If it has any effect for you, it is most likely on benefits eligibility.
For EU citizens reading the law is more scary than reality, as long as you avoid getting a conviction for a serious crime your status is pretty safe.

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Tue May 12, 2020 9:56 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:11 pm

If it has any effect for you, it is most likely on benefits eligibility.
For EU citizens reading the law is more scary than reality, as long as you avoid getting a conviction for a serious crime your status is pretty safe.
Does the same apply to British citizens and their family members after the transition period ends, if they moved to Finland before brexit?