Buying non perishable food from UK

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
sibbovarg

Post by sibbovarg » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:26 am

Hi
Since COVID 19 has restricted travel, I have run out of the UK essentials like tea bags, pickles, marmite etc.
I object to paying the massive premia for TESCO own brand stuff or even worse the prices in International shops.

Therefore does anyone know if any of the UK shops deliver or have agreements with others that deliver? I would probably buy a few hundred euros of products, so happy to pay higher delivery charges as the markup would still be a lot lower.

Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Buying non perishable food from UK

Post by Upphew » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:53 pm

sibbovarg wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:26 am
Hi
Since COVID 19 has restricted travel, I have run out of the UK essentials like tea bags, pickles, marmite etc.
I object to paying the massive premia for TESCO own brand stuff or even worse the prices in International shops.

Therefore does anyone know if any of the UK shops deliver or have agreements with others that deliver? I would probably buy a few hundred euros of products, so happy to pay higher delivery charges as the markup would still be a lot lower.

Thanks!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?node=340834031 ?
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

sibbovarg

Post by sibbovarg » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:12 am

Thanks both - also using Upphew's link, I found a British Corner Shop which has slightly higher prices but cheaper delivery if you buy a lot.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:49 am

Can you post the link please?

sibbovarg

Post by sibbovarg » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:26 am

https://www.britishcornershop.co.uk

Hope this works - I had originally posted it in my reply, but for some reason it caused the reply to be held waiting for an administrator to approve it!

They do Waitrose stuff and many English brands. I was most after Yorkshire Tea as we drink copious amounts of the stuff!

Looking at all this and comparing the prices made me think that I may just get my brother to receive an e order from Asda and send it Parcel Force. Just buying other everyday things that are cheaper (razor blades, deodrants etc) would pay for the €20 for a Parcelforce big box.

DMC

Post by DMC » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:52 am

sibbovarg wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:26 am
Looking at all this and comparing the prices made me think that I may just get my brother to receive an e order from Asda and send it Parcel Force. Just buying other everyday things that are cheaper (razor blades, deodrants etc) would pay for the €20 for a Parcelforce big box.
I have had some parcels recently that were sent by Parcelforce. They have had a guaranteed delivery date feature. I don't know when they started doing this - my first such parcel was at the end of last year and my most recent one was last month. The guarantee is useful because if they fail to meet their promised delivery date they refund the sender for the shipping (minus an admin charge of about £2). The parcel never reaches me by the promised date so the refund makes the shipping cost a lot more attractive :lol:

sibbovarg

Post by sibbovarg » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:02 am

. The guarantee is useful because if they fail to meet their promised delivery date they refund the sender for the shipping (minus an admin charge of about £2). The parcel never reaches me by the promised date so the refund makes the shipping cost a lot more attractive :lol:
[/quote]

:thumbsup: Have ordered a shop from Tesco online via my brother in UK. Will use Parcelforce! It reminds me of when I used to do a weekly commute from Manchester to Örebro via Copenhagen. My bag missed the connection 50% of the time so SAS provided me with a new wardrobe (and toiletries) over the 6 months through offering to finance a change of clothes each time they missed!

riku2

Post by riku2 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:20 am

sibbovarg wrote:
I object to paying the massive premia for TESCO own brand stuff
I don't think the Tesco products are too overpriced in Prisma although they have some trouble shifting the stock and the products on the shelves are often past the date on the package.
Last year I realised the tesco shortbread scanned at 49cents instead the 2.49e shown on the shelf, so bought quite a lot of their supply.

sibbovarg

Post by sibbovarg » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:15 pm

riku2 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:20 am
sibbovarg wrote:
I object to paying the massive premia for TESCO own brand stuff
I don't think the Tesco products are too overpriced in Prisma although they have some trouble shifting the stock and the products on the shelves are often past the date on the package.
Last year I realised the tesco shortbread scanned at 49cents instead the 2.49e shown on the shelf, so bought quite a lot of their supply.
49c for shortbread - I'd have cleared the shelves :D.

Agree it can be a bit hit and miss. Tesco Value Tea bags 99p => €2,49 iirc. Similar double price with their Finest tea. Other things like Muesli seemed pretty reasonable maybe 25% higher, which I dont begrudge (but also don't think that they do any better than local brands here).