RP on other ground (intimate relationship) How the right to work fit?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
fintel

Re: RP on other ground (intimate relationship) How the right to work fit?

Post by fintel » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:44 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:35 pm
Stop trying to destroy other peoples lives.
If anyone gives a tip to the Finnish tax office this will give a criminal charge likely followed by a revoked residence permit.
FinlandGirl likes to harass and scare people on this forum, so I would ignore her advice regarding financial matters.

If you are not a Finnish citizen, and your employer is based out of Finland, has no ties to Finland, and is paying you into your foreign bank account based outside of Finland, how is it possible that this becomes a criminal offense in Finland? Finland has no bearing on your overseas income or assets when you are not a citizen.

On one hand, Finland does not want to give you full work rights based on your relationship with a Finn and on the other hand they want to tax your income in UAE? That does not sound right.

FinlandGirl, tell me if she works remotely using her laptop from a beach in South Africa, and then next morning takes a flight to Turkey and works from there for a few days, and in the same week travels to UAE, is she liable to pay taxes in all three countries where she is not a citizen?

Image ulkomaalaisella henkilöä

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:50 pm

fintel wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:44 pm
If you are not a Finnish citizen, and your employer is based out of Finland, has no ties to Finland, and is paying you into your foreign bank account based outside of Finland, how is it possible that this becomes a criminal offense in Finland? Finland has no bearing on your income or assets when you are not a citizen.
Residency in Finland means that you have to pay Finnish taxes on any income/inheritance/gift/... you are getting worldwide.

fintel

Post by fintel » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:55 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:50 pm
Residency in Finland means that you have to pay Finnish taxes on any income/inheritance/gift/... you are getting worldwide.
I highly doubt this is true. Where is this cited in law? Any legal Acts you can disclose to us uneducated, uniformed and wealthy foreigners?
Last edited by fintel on Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:59 pm

fintel wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:55 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:50 pm
I highly doubt this is true. Where is this cited in law? Any legal Acts you can disclose to us poor, uniformed and wealthy foreigners?
Here it is:
Tuloverolaki wrote:verovuonna Suomessa asunut henkilö, kotimainen yhteisö, yhteisetuus ja kuolinpesä täältä ja muualta saamastaan tulosta (yleinen verovelvollisuus);

fintel

Post by fintel » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:21 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:59 pm
Here it is:
Tuloverolaki wrote:verovuonna Suomessa asunut henkilö, kotimainen yhteisö, yhteisetuus ja kuolinpesä täältä ja muualta saamastaan tulosta (yleinen verovelvollisuus);
Oh ok, so if I hold a resident permit in Finland, and I am a citizen of USA, but I work remotely on my laptop for a company based in UAE, and I do this while sitting at a beach in Thailand, do I still pay taxes to Finland?

Madness.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:29 pm

fintel wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:21 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Here it is:
Oh ok, so if I hold a resident permit in Finland, and I am a citizen of USA, but I work remotely on my laptop for a company based in UAE, and I do this while sitting at a beach in Thailand, do I still pay taxes to Finland?
If you choose to reside in Finland you are paying taxes here.

The US are unique in also taxing their citizens living abroad. This is the reason why people like Boris Johnson or Tina Turner have given up their US citizenship.
Finland is not so greedy, a Finnish citizen living abroad does not have to pay Finnish taxes on income earned abroad.

fintel

Post by fintel » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:42 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Here it is:
The law describes tax paying person as:

1) a person who resided in Finland during the tax year.

This definition is so broad that it covers tourists and short stay visitors as well.

In practice it is unenforceable by any government to tax short stay visitors.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:58 pm

fintel wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:44 pm
FinlandGirl likes to harass and scare people on this forum, so I would ignore her advice regarding financial matters.
I have seen FinlandGirl to be much more likely to get things right than you have been.
fintel wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:42 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Here it is:
The law describes tax paying person as:

1) a person who resided in Finland during the tax year.

This definition is so broad that it covers tourists and short stay visitors as well.

In practice it is unenforceable by any government to tax short stay visitors.
What it means to reside for tax purposes is expanded upon here.

https://www.vero.fi/en/detailed-guidanc ... in-finland

For tourists and short term visitors, if there's a relevant tax treaty provision, it will have precedence over national tax rules.

fintel

Post by fintel » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:14 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:58 pm
I have seen FinlandGirl to be much more likely to get things right than you have been.
betelgeuse, i don't know why you think you are the final authority on law here. I have seen you advise someone incorrectly that TE Office's partial decision makes it obligatory for migri to grant a residence permit. This advice was completely incorrect and was confirmed by an actual lawyer. I have also seen you give other impractical advice which is based on some theoretical section of the law and does not reflect the ground realities. I have seen FinlandGirl harass and intimidate many potential migrants here also.

fintel

Post by fintel » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:21 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:58 pm
For tourists and short term visitors, if there's a relevant tax treaty provision, it will have precedence over national tax rules.
OP, I would ignore any nonsense advice given here. It is common sense in my view that if a country does not grant you a full right to work, limits your job prospects, and does not see you as a citizen, should also not require you to pay taxes on income and assets possessed overseas. If you make money in Finland, feel free to pay taxes on that.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:33 pm

fintel wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:14 pm
This advice was completely incorrect and was confirmed by an actual lawyer.
The actual lawyer confirmed exactly what betelgeuse wrote.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:35 pm

fintel wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:21 pm
It is common sense in my view that if a country does not grant you a full right to work, limits your job prospects, and does not see you as a citizen, should also not require you to pay taxes on income and assets possessed overseas.
Whatever risks you are taking with your illegal activities is your business.

But stop advising people that they should commit crimes.

fintel

Post by fintel » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:43 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:35 pm
FinlandGirl, you are a criminal for advising OP to give away her hard earned money to some tax office who will not recognize her as a resident. I also suspect you work for Finnish government and not a neutral party. I wonder how much taxes you pay in your low paying job where you obviously don't have many duties because you are here on this forum giving crap advice during day time and work hours.
Last edited by fintel on Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fintel

Post by fintel » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:45 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:33 pm
The actual lawyer confirmed exactly what betelgeuse wrote.
Why don't you two go out on a date because obviously you both are book worms of the same type.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:27 pm

fintel wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:43 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:35 pm
FinlandGirl, you are a criminal for advising OP to give away her hard earned money to some tax office who will not recognize her as a resident. I also suspect you work for Finnish government and not a neutral party. I wonder how much taxes you pay in your low paying job where you obviously don't have many duties because you are here on this forum giving crap advice during day time and work hours.
If you are in Finland, characterising someone as a criminal can be considered defamation: "Vaikka sietokyky tuntuu nousevan, kunnianoikeusloukkauksesta tuomitaan rangaistus, jos herjaaminen selkeästi ylittää sen, mitä voidaan pitää yleisesti hyväksyttynä. Tällainen asia on esimerkiksi viattoman syyttäminen rikoksen tekemisestä. Siis jos joku väittää totuuden vastaisesti, että toinen olisi syyllistynyt rikolliseen ja hyvin moitittavaan tekoon, sanoo Päivi Korpisaari." https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-10083915