Student processing queue on Migri website

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
markkus

Post by markkus » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:48 pm

Hello, I recently went to the Finnish embassy in my country to verify my identity for my student RP application on EnterFinland website. The following day after that my application switched to the "In progress" stage.

I looked up the Migri website and found that information from bulletins:
Applications for a first residence permit
On 5 June 2020, there are approximately 268 pending applications for a first residence permit for studies.

Applications arrived on 2 June 2020 are currently waiting to be processed.

To date, 787 applications for a first residence permit for studies have been decided since 1 January 2020.
I also checked the processing time estimate for first student RP on Migri website and it says:
There are 1458 applications in the queue. The number of applications in the queue includes all applications that have the same grounds as your application.
I have some questions related to these two Migri statements to better understand Migri processing times:
1. What does it mean -- "pending application"? Are these applications that have been submitted, but applicants haven't identified themselves at the embassy? Or are these applications that haven't moved to the "In progress" stage?
2. What does it mean -- "Applications arrived on 2 June 2020 are currently waiting to be processed"? Are applications from 2nd of June in the end or at the beginning of the queue? I observed that this date moves by one-two weeks on average every week (when Migri publish the student RP queue data every Friday).
3. The time estimate section on the Migri website says there are much more applications compared to their student RP queue bulletin, even if we sum up first RP and extended RP applications. Am I missing something?

Thank you all in advance for answers.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Student processing queue on Migri website

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:35 pm

markkus wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:48 pm
3. The time estimate section on the Migri website says there are much more applications compared to their student RP queue bulletin, even if we sum up first RP and extended RP applications. Am I missing something?
Applications are pending for processing only after the identity has been proven, before that there Migri can't do anything.

Solariceblue

Post by Solariceblue » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:58 pm

markkus wrote:
Hello, I recently went to the Finnish embassy in my country ...
Hm, just out of curiosity.. Aren't all Finnish missions abroad still closed due to you-know-what?

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:20 pm

Solariceblue wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:58 pm
markkus wrote:
Hello, I recently went to the Finnish embassy in my country ...
Hm, just out of curiosity.. Aren't all Finnish missions abroad still closed due to you-know-what?
I don't think any embassy ever closed, and many allowed in-person visits all the time.

Solariceblue

Post by Solariceblue » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:55 pm

Then why here (https://migri.fi/en/you-are-not-in-finland) it states since the end of March that neither you can go for an interview abroad, nor receive a visa/residence permit? Yet I see people on the forum reporting going on interviews and getting positive desicions. Strange...

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:32 pm

Solariceblue wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:55 pm
Then why here (https://migri.fi/en/you-are-not-in-finland) it states since the end of March that neither you can go for an interview abroad, nor receive a visa/residence permit? Yet I see people on the forum reporting going on interviews and getting positive desicions. Strange...
That's 3 months old information, and they were always exceptions.
Some embassies are treating student RPs as exceptions.

Migri is the wrong place for information regarding which embassies are open.