Got fired during probation time because company has enough workers, but later they hired new workers.

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Tarja2905

Got fired during probation time because company has enough workers, but later they hired new workers.

Post by Tarja2905 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:41 pm

Hello,

Could someone please advice on this case and if you have a link, it would be great. Thank you.

My friend signed a probation contract but just after her first working day, the manager told her that they have enough workers and she doesn’t need to come to work anymore.
However, later she found out that they signed contract with some other people. Is the company allowed to fire workers like that, even in the probation time?

Thank you so much for any information!!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Got fired during probation time because company has enough workers, but later they hired new workers.

Post by rinso » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:41 pm

Tarja2905 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:41 pm
Hello,

Could someone please advice on this case and if you have a link, it would be great. Thank you.

My friend signed a probation contract but just after her first working day, the manager told her that they have enough workers and she doesn’t need to come to work anymore.
However, later she found out that they signed contract with some other people. Is the company allowed to fire workers like that, even in the probation time?

Thank you so much for any information!!
During the probation period, the employer can fire you without reason. So there is very little she can do.

FinlandGirl

Re: Got fired during probation time because company has enough workers, but later they hired new workers.

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:11 pm

Tarja2905 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:41 pm
The additional right to fire someone during the trial period applies only when her work performance is the problem:
https://www.pam.fi/en/wiki/trial-period.html

She should ask at https://www.sak.fi/en/working-life/immigrants

Tarja2905

Post by Tarja2905 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:20 pm

rinso wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:41 pm
During the probation period, the employer can fire you without reason. So there is very little she can do.
Thank you, I understand that employer can fire her without reason. However, in this case, they told my friend the reason which is they have enough workers. But later, they took in new workers for the same position. Is that legal?

Tarja2905

Post by Tarja2905 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:22 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:11 pm
The additional right to fire someone during the trial period applies only when her work performance is the problem:
https://www.pam.fi/en/wiki/trial-period.html

She should ask at https://www.sak.fi/en/working-life/immigrants
Thanks so much for your information!!!

rinso

Post by rinso » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:56 am

Tarja2905 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:20 pm
rinso wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:41 pm
Thank you, I understand that employer can fire her without reason. However, in this case, they told my friend the reason which is they have enough workers. But later, they took in new workers for the same position. Is that legal?
Although the Pam website (link finlandgirl) suggests there are illegal reasons, it will be very hard to make a case. Unless she has a written statement it remains a "he said, she said" case. A probation period is to see if the company and you are a good match without committing both. So the bar for firing (or leaving) is set very low.
I can think of a story for her case: We didn't need people. Later we discovered we were wrong or the situation changed. Her first impression was not so good, so we didn't rehire her.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:18 pm

Your friend needs to contact the union and explain to them what happened. They have lawyers available for members to get free advice and will tell if there is a case or not.