British national entering Finland to work under 14.5 Raja Guidelines

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
mjb44

Post by mjb44 » Tue May 12, 2020 4:10 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice from the community, as I've found myself in a bit of predicament.

I was due to relocate to Helsinki from the UK in April before the Covid outbreak closed borders. I've been in a long-distance relationship with a Finn since last summer.

The initial plan was that I'd move in with her once in Finland, register my "right of residence of a citizen of the European Union as a self-employed /employed person" (before this embarrassing Brexit nonsense in finalised! :beamer:), and find work locally, as well as keeping some remote work from London. (Staying in Finland after the transition period is a question for another time, as I suppose that's really dependent on what terms (if any) are agreed upon).

Obviously the virus has since impeded these plans, but we were given some hope by 7 May 2020's updated instructions for border traffic issued by the Border Guard which have eased some restrictions on entry to Finland. Since I've now had a job offer in Finland and have been issued and signed an employee contract, I was hoping I would be permitted to enter under sections for internal traffic 1.3.a) employment or commission-related commuting.

Guidelines here: https://www.raja.fi/current_issues/guid ... er_traffic

I've since booked a flight for next Tuesday, but have now re-read those guidelines and have noticed it fails to mention whether EU member states are considered internal or external borders as it only mentions Schengen states. Furthermore, while UK citizens are still afforded the same rights under the transition period, I'm not sure whether the UK would be termed an EU member state in the event that those states are considered internal traffic.

As the job nature doesn't fall under "essential traffic", my permission to enter Finland, it seems, rests upon how these borders are considered.

As you can imagine the situation is quite distressing as I'm packed and ready to go and should have been out of my apartment six weeks ago! Any help would be greatly appreciate, thank you in advance. :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: British national entering Finland to work under 14.5 Raja Guidelines

Post by betelgeuse » Wed May 13, 2020 12:05 pm

mjb44 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:10 pm
I've since booked a flight for next Tuesday, but have now re-read those guidelines and have noticed it fails to mention whether EU member states are considered internal or external borders as it only mentions Schengen states. Furthermore, while UK citizens are still afforded the same rights under the transition period, I'm not sure whether the UK would be termed an EU member state in the event that those states are considered internal traffic.
You are crossing an external border. However, work travel from UK is explicitly mentioned as allowed in the government decision:

"toisesta Schengen-sopimukseen kuulumattomasta EU:n jäsenvaltiosta tai Yhdistyneestä kuningaskunnasta saapuvan EU- tai Schengen-valtion kansalaisen tai Yhdistyneen kuningaskunnan kansalaisen työsuhteeseen tai toimeksiantoon perustuva työmatkaliikenne sekä pakottavissa perheasioissa tai muista pakottavista henkilökohtaisista syistä matkustavat henkilöt"

https://valtioneuvosto.fi/paatokset/paa ... 8f806a9b28

See muistio.

fintel

Post by fintel » Wed May 13, 2020 1:31 pm

mjb44 wrote:
I'm looking for a bit of advice from the community, as I've found myself in a bit of predicament.
I would write a letter to Boris Johnson and ask him why he is so hell bent on limiting your rights to work abroad. Only essential travel is permitted at the moment, and what is considered essential travel depends on individual case. Is your work considered essential by the border guard? Are you part of the elite research team that is going to develop a vaccine for COVID-19?

If yes, then you will be permitted. If not, you are taking your chances.

:D
Image ulkomaalaisella henkilöä

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed May 13, 2020 1:59 pm

fintel wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:31 pm
mjb44 wrote:
I would write a letter to Boris Johnson and ask him why he is so hell bent on limiting your rights to work abroad. Only essential travel is permitted at the moment, and what is considered essential travel depends on individual case. Is your work considered essential by the border guard? Are you part of the elite research team that is going to develop a vaccine for COVID-19?

If yes, then you will be permitted. If not, you are taking your chances.
My link shows that the definition of essential travel includes people coming from UK to work in Finland. The word essential is redefined from its meaning in day to day speech. You don't need to be, for example, an elite researcher.

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:28 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:05 pm
You are crossing an external border. However, work travel from UK is explicitly mentioned as allowed in the government decision:

"toisesta Schengen-sopimukseen kuulumattomasta EU:n jäsenvaltiosta tai Yhdistyneestä kuningaskunnasta saapuvan EU- tai Schengen-valtion kansalaisen tai Yhdistyneen kuningaskunnan kansalaisen työsuhteeseen tai toimeksiantoon perustuva työmatkaliikenne sekä pakottavissa perheasioissa tai muista pakottavista henkilökohtaisista syistä matkustavat henkilöt"

https://valtioneuvosto.fi/paatokset/paa ... 8f806a9b28

See muistio.
If someone living in Finland is giving birth, can her UK citizen mother and sister come to visit her from UK so to help her?