How long - Work from home

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
jack2012

Post by jack2012 » Sun May 10, 2020 5:13 pm

Hi,

How long IT companies allow/prefer their employees to work from home? How is your company doing it?

I am asking this as we did not get any clear stand by my manager on how long we have to continue work from home. As, if it is for long term then we may need to have some changes in living style to be more productive and manage personal life well.

Kiitos :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: How long - Work from home

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun May 10, 2020 5:38 pm

jack2012 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:13 pm
How long IT companies allow/prefer their employees to work from home?
Depends on the company and depends on what kind of work you are doing.
In many IT companies it has been normal for years that some people work mostly from home.
jack2012 wrote:
I am asking this as we did not get any clear stand by my manager on how long we have to continue work from home. As, if it is for long term then we may need to have some changes in living style to be more productive and manage personal life well.
Discuss with your manager what you want/need.
If you want to come to the office, most companies only have a "prefer" policy that allows that you come to office.
If you want to permanently work from home, ask if this is possible.

agroot

Post by agroot » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:56 am

jack2012 wrote:
Hi,

How long IT companies allow/prefer their employees to work from home? How is your company doing it?

Kiitos :)
Indefinitely? We can work from home freely any time though it's preferred people live close (related to meeting / travel cost I guess). I don't think it's less productive since office is more of a place for chatting and some people worked from home when they needed to get things done :lol:

riku2

Post by riku2 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:01 am

In the software company I work for it's clear that some teams work ok with everyone at home but others less so. The product R&D has people working in teams to develop the software and they are finding it harder, the pre-sales and support (many of who work from home regularly anyway) don't see any affect on their work. I did ask the CEO whether our experiences now would affect where we grow the company and not just add people to our three main offices and he said they'd noticed the lack of casual interaction between people and across teams, and that was having a negative impact. But on the other hand they might consider more small offices (6-12 people) rather than mostly recruiting to our three big offices.
We have a small office in Ostersund in northern Sweden with half a dozen employees and the "office" was a shared wooden building with other companies there as well, sharing coffee room, relaxation area etc. It was a totally different feel to working in a big office in the suburbs of Espoo, more relaxing, less 9-5 feel. It would suit some people perfectly and I think this way of distributing the company thinly will certainly increase.