Floor heating question

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
farfaraway

Floor heating question

Post by farfaraway » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:03 am

I have just moved into a rivitalo and it has floor heating for the first floor (wooden if that matters). I am trying the thing out but to my surprise, it doesn't heat up when I turn the switch to max (which is 6). Here is what I have https://lvi-wabek.fi/wp-content/uploads ... _final.pdf it's the leftmost one in the 3rd page (the one with Onepipe printed on it)

In the electrical panel, there are 3 switches turned off (shown green while the rest show red so I assume seeing "red" means it's on) labeled kiuas ranging from 3.1 to 3.3, sooo I turned them all on but still nothing happen, the first floor is still ice cold. They might also be for the sauna based on what Google tells me :| but I have no ideas why there are 3 of them (haven't tried the sauna yet)

In my adventure, I also discovered this https://www.vantaanenergia.fi/en/district-heat/ and since I'm living in Vantaa, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my floor heating.

I've contacted the housing/building company but they are all on vacations now :( and I kinda want to have a warm floor or at least not as cold as it is now. There might be something wrong with the floor as well, but I'm not sure, have never been in a rivitalo before so not sure what is the "usual" floor temperature. In my previous kerrostalo (12th floor), it's not that cold

Floor heating question

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

agroot

Re: Floor heating question

Post by agroot » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:58 am

District heating is provided by hot water pipes connected to white heat panels on walls. It doesn't use electricity.

Anyway thanks greatly for your input on rivitalo - was considering to move into one.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:54 am

farfaraway wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:03 am
In my adventure, I also discovered this https://www.vantaanenergia.fi/en/district-heat/ and since I'm living in Vantaa, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my floor heating.
Housing companies usually have their heating loop turned off in the summer so no matter what you do, the floor temperature will not change.

farfaraway

Post by farfaraway » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:43 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:54 am
farfaraway wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:03 am
Housing companies usually have their heating loop turned off in the summer so no matter what you do, the floor temperature will not change.
makes sense, I just double checked the floor heating settings, and they are water based, so I can't do much about it

riku2

Post by riku2 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:43 am

betelgeuse wrote:
At least in blocks of flats the heating loop is not an on/off system. There is a controller that gradually makes the water warmer the colder it gets outside. So even if you have the radiator valves fully open the temperature of the radiator in october will not be as hot as in february because the controller in the basement is adjusting how hot the water is. As a resident you have no control over this setting and you hope the water is hot enough to warm your flat (top floor should be ok, those lower down less so). This lack of control is another good reason to own your own house and not be subject to others deciding how warm your accommodation should be. You can always lower the heat setting but never increase it above the temperature of the heating water itself.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:05 pm

riku2 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:43 am
betelgeuse wrote:
At least in blocks of flats the heating loop is not an on/off system. There is a controller that gradually makes the water warmer the colder it gets outside. So even if you have the radiator valves fully open the temperature of the radiator in october will not be as hot as in february because the controller in the basement is adjusting how hot the water is. As a resident you have no control over this setting and you hope the water is hot enough to warm your flat (top floor should be ok, those lower down less so). This lack of control is another good reason to own your own house and not be subject to others deciding how warm your accommodation should be. You can always lower the heat setting but never increase it above the temperature of the heating water itself.
What can happen during the summer is, for example, that the automation has a threshold outdoor temperature above which the system goes to summer mode.