Can employer find out you have another job?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
ddddd

Post by ddddd » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:48 pm

Last edited by ddddd on Wed May 26, 2021 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Can employer find out you have another job?

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:31 pm

ddddd wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:48 pm
A friend and I set up a start-up a year ago. It hasn't made much but we are finally getting some funding. In the meantime, I started a new full-time job in June and just work on the start-up on weekends. Well, I found out today that this new job doesn't allow you to make money at another job. It wasn't in my contract but buried on a HR policy page. So I have a dilemma here. What do I do? Technically I am not making money yet but once the funding goes through, I will start to.

At the start-up, I am mainly an Android developer. Our market is my own country Malaysia. At the new job I am a full-stack web and backend developer and the market is the Nordics. They are not competing in any way, shape or form. I don't use any company resources on the start-up.

My main question is that how could an employer find out you have another job? Can they see your entire earnings history for a year and who is paying? Or does GDPR cover this info. I feel like my weekends should be my business.

Honestly, I am willing to claim ignorance and just continue as I am right now. But what are the chances?
A general non compete is usually not enforceable. Join a union and get cheap professional advice. A starting point for reading is chapter 3 the Employment Contracts Act.

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokse ... 010055.pdf

ddddd

Post by ddddd » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:53 am

Last edited by ddddd on Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinso

Post by rinso » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:54 am

Whether or not it is enforceable, your career prospects will not be good when your employer finds out.
Maybe talking with your boss might be a better option.

ddddd

Post by ddddd » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:27 pm

rinso wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:54 am
Whether or not it is enforceable, your career prospects will not be good when your employer finds out.
Maybe talking with your boss might be a better option.
I don't know.
Last edited by ddddd on Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

DMC

Post by DMC » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:51 pm

If & when you get income from your side business they could probably see that but I doubt they would ever check unless you gave them cause to do so.

I had a similar situation, albeit 20+ years ago. I told the company I worked for full time that I wanted to do a second job. They were only interested in checking for potential conflicts with my work for them. Once it was clear there were none they were fine - in fact they allowed me to re-schedule my work for them to a 4-day week so I could do the other job for a full day each week. I have no way to know how typical that is of course.

ddddd

Post by ddddd » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:44 pm

DMC wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:51 pm
If & when you get income from your side business they could probably see that but I doubt they would ever check unless you gave them cause to do so.
Where could they see the information from? Isn't your income information private?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:10 pm

ddddd wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:44 pm
DMC wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:51 pm
Where could they see the information from? Isn't your income information private?
It’s not. You can get everyone’s total income from Verohallinto.