TIN (taxpayer identification number) for the bank

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
misu

Post by misu » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:47 am

Can anyone help me out with some info please? Bureaucracy is not one of my strong suits and I'm stressing out over this. My bank informed me that since I'm a US citizen I need to provide them with my TIN. I'm not familiar with what that is but I've been looking online. So I need to apply to get one if I don't have one, or do US citizens automatically have one already and I have to find out what it is? Can anyone give any idea of what the process is like for applying for a TIN as someone living in Finland? Thank you.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: TIN (taxpayer identification number) for the bank

Post by heretostay » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:05 pm

It is your social security number the bank wants.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:35 pm

misu wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:47 am
Can anyone help me out with some info please? Bureaucracy is not one of my strong suits and I'm stressing out over this. My bank informed me that since I'm a US citizen I need to provide them with my TIN. I'm not familiar with what that is but I've been looking online. So I need to apply to get one if I don't have one, or do US citizens automatically have one already and I have to find out what it is? Can anyone give any idea of what the process is like for applying for a TIN as someone living in Finland? Thank you.
https://www.oecd.org/tax/automatic-exch ... es-TIN.pdf

misu

Post by misu » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:10 pm

heretostay wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:05 pm
OK, so I hope that's the case. It wasn't clear to me because I read that the SSA issues social security numbers and IRS issues TINs, so I thought they were distinct numbers. Thank you!

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:16 pm

misu wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:10 pm
heretostay wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:05 pm
OK, so I hope that's the case. It wasn't clear to me because I read that the SSA issues social security numbers and IRS issues TINs, so I thought they were distinct numbers. Thank you!
They are distinct. Check the link I posted. For data exchange purposes there are multiple separate numbers that are acceptable.

gmarkoma

Post by gmarkoma » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:27 pm

As you are US citizen, the bank has to report to IRS about your account. ITIN is when you have not really right to work but you need tax ID and SSN when you have the right to work or born in US.