trade register compulsory for toiminimi ?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
jihad01

Post by jihad01 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:51 pm

For a residence permit based on toiminimi, do I have to apply to get a trade register and a business ID ? Are they obligatory ?
On my profile on "Enter Finland", I see they are asking to submit a trade register but I do not know if it is obligatory if all I want to do is just toiminimi ?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: trade register compulsory for toiminimi ?

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:43 pm

jihad01 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:51 pm
For a residence permit based on toiminimi, do I have to apply to get a trade register and a business ID ? Are they obligatory ?
On my profile on "Enter Finland", I see they are asking to submit a trade register but I do not know if it is obligatory if all I want to do is just toiminimi ?
Only the latter since you are in Finland. ” In order to get a residence permit for an entrepreneur, you need to have a Business ID.”

https://migri.fi/en/entrepreneur

jihad01

Post by jihad01 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:58 am

Indeed. Thank you.
And to have a business ID, one must have a trade register too

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:58 am

jihad01 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:58 am
Indeed. Thank you.
And to have a business ID, one must have a trade register too
Not always. The Tax Administration can issue business ids when electing not to have a toiminimi. The thing the realise are the differences between the terms yksityinen elinkeinonharjoittaja and toiminimi.

” Yksityinen elinkeinonharjoittaja on lain mukaan ilmoitettava kaupparekisteriin, jos yksikin seuraavista asioista täyttyy:

* elinkeinotoimintaa varten on pysyvä toimipaikka eli omasta asunnosta erillinen liiketila
* palveluksessa on muita henkilöitä kuin aviopuoliso, alaikäinen lapsi tai lapsenlapsi
* harjoittaa luvanvaraista elinkeinotoimintaa.”

https://www.prh.fi/fi/kaupparekisteri/y ... minen.html

Being in the trade register simplifies the residence permit application though.

jihad01

Post by jihad01 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:25 pm

On Migri pages, toiminimi is also called private entrepreneur and private trader.
Source: https://migri.fi/en/entrepreneur

jihad01

Post by jihad01 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:02 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:58 am
Not always. The Tax Administration can issue business ids when electing not to have a toiminimi. The thing the realise are the differences between the terms yksityinen elinkeinonharjoittaja and toiminimi.
You were right. It seems there's a difference, unlike what Migri pages generally say.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:30 am

jihad01 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:02 am
betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:58 am
You were right. It seems there's a difference, unlike what Migri pages generally say.
Colloquially the latter often mixes with the former but legally speaking toiminimi is only the registered trade name and nothing else. So a privater trader can choose whether to have a registered trade name (toiminimi) or not in the mentioned situations.