Going to ship my car from California to Vantaa

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
aleenajrg

Post by aleenajrg » Thu May 22, 2014 8:34 pm

Hi Guys; I need to ship my car (Nissan Sentra) from California to Vantaa. I need advice on
  • How to Ship?
  • Rules and regulations here?
  • Any trusted shipping services?

Many thanks in advance :)

Eagerly waiting for replies

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

aleenajrg

Re: Going to ship my car from California to Vantaa

Post by aleenajrg » Fri May 23, 2014 8:53 pm

Friends; Please help me to find the best solution :(
aleenajrg wrote:Hi Guys; I need to ship my car (Nissan Sentra) from California to Vantaa. I need advice on
  • How to Ship?
  • Rules and regulations here?
  • Any trusted shipping services?

Many thanks in advance :)

Eagerly waiting for replies

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri May 23, 2014 9:57 pm

I think the Tulli is just changed/changing the rules of "cars as removal goods", so better go read so you won't get taxed 8000 for a car worth 5000... Other thing to check is what all things need to be swapped to conform with the EU rules. You can try the official dealer - try get a list and not a price quote.... But bringing over some California Emission rice bucket without an engine or tires that can take a winter, probably with automagic shift as well... I'd invest the money in booze and get a bus pass...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun May 25, 2014 12:30 am

USD has come up, so it used to be 9 bucks a gallon, but now maybe 7 bucks a gallon.

And where in the bloody flaming hell you see a "french polish old geezer" with a *paper bag*????
( irrigardless you are drinking volvic from a plastic bottle the police can an will come sniff it)

I've now been almost 4 years in the UK, haven't driven any though I lived in a town looking for a job I'd actually "needed" a car as ghere wasn't any public transport that way... fortunately I found a job in somewhat civilized city, as I never learned to stroke the shaft on my left hand...

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun May 25, 2014 11:28 am

I look in all directions, as they're not into safe street crossings here. No zebras whatsoever...

aleenajrg

Post by aleenajrg » Mon May 26, 2014 10:51 pm

Thanks for all replies; I am appreciating it :D

I can understand the situations here; But i need to ship my car from California. Because i have some personal attachment with my car. That was a birth day present from my grandpa; so i can't leave it.

I really need to ship it here;

I Googled a lot to for a good shipping company (that need to be trusted) and I found A1autotransport; they have services in Finland -->> http://www.a1autotransport.com/ship-car-to-finland.php

Anybody here have (your friends also) any previous experience with this company?

Please advice me; this car is more valuable to me

Thanks for your time in advance :?

GTI

Post by GTI » Fri May 30, 2014 11:47 pm

aleenajrg wrote:Thanks for all replies; I am appreciating it :D

I can understand the situations here; But i need to ship my car from California. Because i have some personal attachment with my car. That was a birth day present from my grandpa; so i can't leave it.

I really need to ship it here;

I Googled a lot to for a good shipping company (that need to be trusted) and I found A1autotransport; they have services in Finland -->> http://www.a1autotransport.com/ship-car-to-finland.php

Anybody here have (your friends also) any previous experience with this company?

Please advice me; this car is more valuable to me

Thanks for your time in advance :?

Hey,

Unfortunately I do not have any personal experience nor have any friends who have used that shipping company. I googled that company, found their Facebook page and it has around 2k likes. I dig some more and found some websites showing negative experience with the company:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto_trans/a-1.html

http://www.transportreviews.com/company ... nsport.asp

These are positive reviews from their own site:

http://www.a1autotransport.com/testimonials.php

I have mixed feelings about this company, it appears the main issue seems to be that if they happen to wreck your car, they are trying their best to avoid paying for the damages. They do appear to be trustworthy, meaning they will deliver your car for sure, it's just that if they happen to damage your car, will they pay for the damages?

All in all, I would still recommend using this company, there doesn't seem to be that many companies that ship cars internationally, especially to Finland.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Sat May 31, 2014 1:38 am

You need to insure it for what it would cost in Finland to replace or to repair major damage. It's a common mistake for people to under-insure removal goods of any type. There are so many people involved in the process that while one party can take legal/financial responsibility (which they will endeavor to avoid doing), no one party can possibly ensure full and safe delivery in actuality. Heck, the container it's shipped in can fall off the deck of a ship in a storm, you know? That happens more than people realize, even when the containers are secured. For every measure taken, there is a force of nature that can defeat it. Sometimes a force of human nature.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

RobertoMillsaps

Post by RobertoMillsaps » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:52 pm

Hi friends. I am attaching my message, since I had the same situation. Could you help me in finding a reliable trucking company at the current time to be precise in 2020. Thank you for your reply.

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:41 pm

RobertoMillsaps wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:52 pm
Hi friends. I am attaching my message, since I had the same situation. Could you help me in finding a reliable trucking company at the current time to be precise in 2020. Thank you for your reply.
Trucking company, where? In Finland or in the USA?

krapulassa

Post by krapulassa » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:27 am

aleenajrg wrote:
Thu May 22, 2014 8:34 pm
Hi Guys; I need to ship my car (Nissan Sentra) from California to Vantaa. I need advice on
  • How to Ship?
Bad idea to import car in Finland.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:16 am

krapulassa wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:27 am
aleenajrg wrote:
Thu May 22, 2014 8:34 pm
  • How to Ship?
Why? It is done all the time both by private individuals and companies.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

krapulassa

Post by krapulassa » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:01 pm

Upphew wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:16 am
Why? It is done all the time both by private individuals and companies.
People smoke cigarettes all the time. It's a bad idea. High taxes on the product, health consequences. Overall bad idea.
Last edited by krapulassa on Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:23 am

I did it a few years ago. It is an insanely expensive bureaucratic mess. You have to pay shipping charges, import taxes, registration taxes, modifications on the car to make it street legal, etc. etc. etc. The costs just kept piling up. It took me a year, more than a hundred hours of my time, and an astronomical sum of money to get the car registered in Finland. Everyone tried to warn me not to do it, but I thought I researched it enough and it seemed reasonable. I was so wrong. Biggest mistake I made in my move over here was that car. It would have been cheaper to just sell it and then buy a new one over here.