Single, self-employed person wanting to move to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Tabbycat

Post by Tabbycat » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:55 am

Hi all,

I have been seriously considering moving to Finland, and have done extensive research on the topic. I do have a few concerns and uncertainties about the actual moving process, though, and am hoping someone can help.

I am currently self-employed, and haven't been able to find a clear answer for how I would go about moving as a self-employed person. Would I need to apply for my residence permit as an entrepreneur? I mainly do writing and editing work, if that helps.

Also, how much would a person living alone expect to spend each month in Helsinki or Turku?

Thank you in advance for any help :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Single, self-employed person wanting to move to Finland

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:45 am

Tabbycat wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:55 am
Hi all,

I have been seriously considering moving to Finland, and have done extensive research on the topic. I do have a few concerns and uncertainties about the actual moving process, though, and am hoping someone can help.

I am currently self-employed, and haven't been able to find a clear answer for how I would go about moving as a self-employed person. Would I need to apply for my residence permit as an entrepreneur? I mainly do writing and editing work, if that helps.
You would (you apply with any category that best suits you after checking whether you meet the requirements).

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:30 am

Are you an EU citizen?

Tabbycat

Post by Tabbycat » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:14 pm

@betelgeuse, thank you for your reply!

@Maaria, no, I'm not. I'm a US citizen.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:09 pm

If you are not an EU citizen, your self-employment work must require you to be present in Finland to get a permit for it.

Tabbycat

Post by Tabbycat » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:03 pm

@heretostay,

Thank you for your response! That's a bummer :( I'll be sure to watch for potential clients and work that would allow me to relocate.

From your experience, how is working in Finland (from a non self-employed point of view)?

Thanks again!

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:51 pm

heretostay wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:09 pm
If you are not an EU citizen, your self-employment work must require you to be present in Finland to get a permit for it.
Based on? This has been claimed many times before but so far I don't remember anyone being able to provide a source.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:07 pm

“ I own shares of a public limited company (oy) in Finland. I wish to apply for a residence permit. Which permit do I need?

A residence permit will not be granted on the grounds that you own shares; you also have to work in the company, and the work must be performed in Finland. ”

From migri FAQ page.

A freelance writer that I know was rejected by migri citing that their work did not require them to be in Finland. They spent a lot of money and time setting up an y-tunnus, providing documentation and making a business plan for TE people all just to get a rejection.

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:19 pm

This was just in the news:
But it’s unlikely that Finland will roll out a remote worker visa anytime soon, according to Laura Lindeman, who works with international talent attraction at the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment.

She said expediting visas for certain types of professionals would require a legislative change.

Lindeman, however, argued that antiquated views are the main obstacle when it comes to revamping visas. She said Finland’s foreign policy has traditionally placed security concerns ahead of economic ones.
https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/agen ... origin=rss

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:29 pm

heretostay wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:07 pm
“ I own shares of a public limited company (oy) in Finland. I wish to apply for a residence permit. Which permit do I need?

A residence permit will not be granted on the grounds that you own shares; you also have to work in the company, and the work must be performed in Finland. ”

From migri FAQ page.
That doesn't provide proof. Work is still performed in Finland even if the customer is abroad.
heretostay wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:07 pm
A freelance writer that I know was rejected by migri citing that their work did not require them to be in Finland. They spent a lot of money and time setting up an y-tunnus, providing documentation and making a business plan for TE people all just to get a rejection.
This is interesting anecdotal evidence. It would be interesting to see what legal basis they referenced.
Visas are separate from residence permits so the article doesn't automatically imply things about residence permits.

rinso

Post by rinso » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:59 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:29 pm
Visas are separate from residence permits so the article doesn't automatically imply things about residence permits.
From the same article:
Lindström said queries from Americans about moving to Finland have shot up during the pandemic. But Finland won’t grant Americans work permits unless they have a Finnish employer.
It is clear that Yle meant resident permits but they are a bit sloppy with consistency (as usual).

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:14 pm

rinso wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:59 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
From the same article:
Lindström said queries from Americans about moving to Finland have shot up during the pandemic. But Finland won’t grant Americans work permits unless they have a Finnish employer.
It is clear that Yle meant resident permits but they are a bit sloppy with consistency (as usual).
Well the quote is demonstrably false (it's trivial to give many examples of permits without Finnish employers) so it's hard to know what to make of it.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:50 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:14 pm
rinso wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:59 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
From the same article:
Well the quote is demonstrably false (it's trivial to give many examples of permits without Finnish employers) so it's hard to know what to make of it.
What are the trivial examples for residence permits on the basis of work being granted without a FInnish employer?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:49 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:50 pm

What are the trivial examples for residence permits on the basis of work being granted without a FInnish employer?
For example, foreign companies as employers (European single market) and sole traders (when they qualify).

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:42 pm

Tabbycat wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:14 pm
@betelgeuse, thank you for your reply!

@Maaria, no, I'm not. I'm a US citizen.
Are you in the US or in Finland now?