EU right of residence & non-eu spouse sufficient funds\self employment

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ooo320

Post by ooo320 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:09 pm

Hey Guys,

i have a question about EU right of resident.

my wife(german citizen) and i(non-eu citizen) are now in finland and want to register and stay here.

if registering as a "self employed" - how do you prove being a self employed person? how can you open a business before having an id number? both of us are musicians and music teachers, and we used to be self employed in that field before(not in a european country).

if registering by "having sufficient funds" - how much funds do we really need to have? does anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks a lot for you help 🙂🙏

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

jaanmatti

Re: EU right of residence & non-eu spouse sufficient funds\self employment

Post by jaanmatti » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:27 pm

You can create a business in Finland without needing an ID number. Once the business is registered, DVV will give you a temporary (up to one year) ID number. An EU resident can apply for residency in migri after that. I don't know how it works for non-eu spouses though.

newInHel

Post by newInHel » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:24 am

jaanmatti wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:27 pm
You can create a business in Finland without needing an ID number.
Do you have any idea how to do that? When I asked the same question at the Patent office they told me it is impossible and I have to have the ID first. :ohno:

(So instead of registering in migri as self-employed, I'm registering as sufficient funds, and waiting...).
Last edited by newInHel on Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaanmatti

Post by jaanmatti » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:56 pm

You're an EU resident, right? Then you can absolutely register a business (OY) without having an ID number first. That's what I did. You just can't do it online, you have to fill out a paper form and mail it to them.

I have experienced that sometimes the government office employees give wrong information, because they just don't know. It depends on who you talk to sometimes.

Here are the forms:
https://www.prh.fi/en/kaupparekisteri/y ... yhtio.html

It takes a bit of reading to understand everything. I suggest you get a finnish accountant, they can help you out with the paperwork.

I'm happy to show you what I did / how I did it, you can PM me for contact details.

jaanmatti

Post by jaanmatti » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:58 pm

I just re-read your original post. Ok, so you're wife is an EU resident but you are not. Yeah in that case I don't know. Your wife should register the company then, because it will be a lot easier for her.

ooo320

Post by ooo320 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:53 am

newInHel wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:24 am
jaanmatti wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:27 pm
You can create a business in Finland without needing an ID number.
Do you have any idea how to do that? When I asked the same question at the Patent office they told me it is impossible and I have to have the ID first. :ohno:

(So instead of registering in migri as self-employed, I'm registering as sufficient funds, and waiting...).
hey
Can you share your situation and experience with registering as sufficient funds
thanks

newInHel

Post by newInHel » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:48 am

Hey, sure:

I filed the application online (as sufficient funds), added a copy of my contract (an open-ended consulting contract with a non-Finnish company), and a statement of support from my Finnish girlfriend who is working full-time, together with her payslip.

At the appointment, the agent (who was really nice) said that she is not the one to decide, but probably they would need some more documents. She suggested to add a bank account statement showing that I actually receive the payment based on the contract (which I can't, as I can't invoice as self-employed in Finland so I cannot be paid yet for this contract...). Another thing she mentioned is to provide my girlfriend's work contract if she wants to.

The wait just to get the official response (what other documents will be needed) should take 1-2 months (I still haven't gotten an official response). Yes, it is completely illegal, as EU registrations should happen immediately as the requirements are met...

Instead, I got a statement from my bank account showing that I also have sufficient funds there. It's not huge amounts but it should definitely suffice for this. Supplemented my application with that.

Still waiting to see what else they would require and how long the whole process will take.

By the way, I would recommend filing already with a bank statement showing you have sufficient funds in the initial application, if you have those savings. Still don't think they issue registrations as sufficient funds on the spot, but you might get better ideas on what else you would need to provide so there will be a better chance they will approve it without officially requesting further documents.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:35 pm

newInHel wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:48 am
At the appointment, the agent (who was really nice) said that she is not the one to decide, but probably they would need some more documents. She suggested to add a bank account statement showing that I actually receive the payment based on the contract (which I can't, as I can't invoice as self-employed in Finland so I cannot be paid yet for this contract...). Another thing she mentioned is to provide my girlfriend's work contract if she wants to.

The wait just to get the official response (what other documents will be needed) should take 1-2 months (I still haven't gotten an official response). Yes, it is completely illegal, as EU registrations should happen immediately as the requirements are met...
Consider a complaint to the Office of the Parliamentary Ombudsman referencing Aliens Act 159 §.

https://www.oikeusasiamies.fi/en/web/guest

Given the Ombudsman's position as a supreme overseer of legality in Finland they have the possibility to push Migri to correct their ways.

newInHel

Post by newInHel » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:55 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:35 pm
Consider a complaint to the Office of the Parliamentary Ombudsman referencing Aliens Act 159 §.

https://www.oikeusasiamies.fi/en/web/guest

Given the Ombudsman's position as a supreme overseer of legality in Finland they have the possibility to push Migri to correct their ways.
Thanks! I will probably do that after I finish the process (and have the full picture to describe).

ooo320

Post by ooo320 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:46 pm

newInHel wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:48 am
Hey, sure:

I filed the application online (as sufficient funds), added a copy of my contract (an open-ended consulting contract with a non-Finnish company), and a statement of support from my Finnish girlfriend who is working full-time, together with her payslip.

Instead, I got a statement from my bank account showing that I also have sufficient funds there. It's not huge amounts but it should definitely suffice for this. Supplemented my application with that.

Still waiting to see what else they would require and how long the whole process will take.

By the way, I would recommend filing already with a bank statement showing you have sufficient funds in the initial application, if you have those savings. Still don't think they issue registrations as sufficient funds on the spot, but you might get better ideas on what else you would need to provide so there will be a better chance they will approve it without officially requesting further documents.
wow,thanks!

i hope you'll get positive answer from them

about the bank statement - it should be official statement from the bank? or is it enough to just copy the account homepage that shows how much money i have?

newInHel

Post by newInHel » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:15 pm

It really depends what you need to show. If your funds are in your current account (or if you need to show that a contract is actually paid), then an account statement printed from the homepage should be fine. At least that's what they told me- I don't know what happens at the end...
If you need to also show savings or additional funds not in your current account, either print the relevant pages or look for a possibility to issue a "Balance Overview" document or something like that. I actually had to call my bank to figure out how to get the document in English (but it was possible to do it online) :D.