EU registration timeline, KELA, and health insurance questions

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
gmarkoma

Post by gmarkoma » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:13 pm

Hi,

I understand that because of COVID-19 everything goes slower. I applied for my EU residence right one month ago and still is in the first status (waiting for processing), is that normal? They had told me up to two weeks. I applied also for KELA almost one month ago, does KELA would wait for my registration to finish in order to prepare the KELA card? My family (non-EU), got their personal identification code yesterday from DVV but they have no health insurance yet, we will go to KELA tomorrow. Does it make sense to buy a private health insurance for them? Or I just go to private doctor and I pay? I have private health insurance from my work but it is only for me. We need soon to have my son's 18 months vaccines, I called to book appointment at Espoo and they will call me back, they were asking about our permanent residency that we do not have yet. My family has migri appointments this month, so it will take some time till they finish. Last question, if I get the permanent residency can my family have permanent residency, even before their mirgri procedure finishes, as we live all together or not?

Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

jaanmatti

Re: EU registration timeline, KELA, and health insurance questions

Post by jaanmatti » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:20 pm

It isn't clear if you're an EU national or not. "EU registration" usually means registration for EU nationals.

About EU registration for EU nationals:

Their standard practice is that *if they can verify that you meet the requirements*, the application will be approved at the service point when you have your appointment.

The big issue that I learned the hard way is that they will not tell you how to prepare your application so that it would be able to be approved at the service point. If they don't have all the information they need, they'll push your application to a queue where the backlog is currently more than a year long.

So about Migri:

1) Make sure that your application has all the necessary proof / documents . How do you know if it has everything? Good question. Migri's customer service sucks in this regard. You can try asking them via their phone service, but mostly it doesn't reply. Best bet would be to find a consultant.

2) Book an appointment at a service point. Mostly they have no available service times to book. So you have to keep checking back multiple times a day and check all Migri service points. It has seemed like the smaller service points in more faraway places have free slots more often.

---

I don't know about the health insurance topics though, sorry.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:42 pm

gmarkoma wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:13 pm
I understand that because of COVID-19 everything goes slower. I applied for my EU residence right one month ago and still is in the first status (waiting for processing), is that normal? They had told me up to two weeks. I applied also for KELA almost one month ago, does KELA would wait for my registration to finish in order to prepare the KELA card? My family (non-EU), got their personal identification code yesterday from DVV but they have no health insurance yet, we will go to KELA tomorrow. Does it make sense to buy a private health insurance for them? Or I just go to private doctor and I pay? I have private health insurance from my work but it is only for me. We need soon to have my son's 18 months vaccines, I called to book appointment at Espoo and they will call me back, they were asking about our permanent residency that we do not have yet. My family has migri appointments this month, so it will take some time till they finish. Last question, if I get the permanent residency can my family have permanent residency, even before their mirgri procedure finishes, as we live all together or not?
In Finland there's two separate things:

1) Municipality of residence (= permanent marking in the population information system). Your municipality of residence is what provides, for example, GP services. You can also be covered, for example, due to working in Finland.

2) Health insurance by Kela. This is different from what is usually considered health insurance since the focus is on things like cash benefits for sickness leave.

To get a municipality of residence the registration of right of residence must be done. Family members can piggyback.

gmarkoma

Post by gmarkoma » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:00 am

Thanks for the replies. I had already applied for EU registration, yes I am European and finally, it was approved on October 8th, it took 5-6 weeks. They had told me that they (the guy who did the procedure) is not the one deciding and other people decide for the approva.

I had applied for KELA and received the card finally one week ago. However, now that Migri finished, I can declare permanent residency through DVV. Espoo does not accept my son for vaccines without permanent residency, so we booked appointment for private doctor. Seems that you mentioned that my family can take permanent residency because I have one, right?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:47 am

gmarkoma wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:00 am
Thanks for the replies. I had already applied for EU registration, yes I am European and finally, it was approved on October 8th, it took 5-6 weeks. They had told me that they (the guy who did the procedure) is not the one deciding and other people decide for the approva.
It would be useful to make a complaint to the Office of the Parliamentary Ombudsman since they should consider the documents on the spot.

” A Union citizen who has provided proof that he or she meets the requirements of registration shall be immediately issued with a registration certificate, giving his or her name and address, and the date of registration.”

https://www.finlex.fi/en/laki/kaannokse ... 040301.pdf

https://www.oikeusasiamies.fi/en_GB/web ... -ombudsman
gmarkoma wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:00 am
I had applied for KELA and received the card finally one week ago. However, now that Migri finished, I can declare permanent residency through DVV. Espoo does not accept my son for vaccines without permanent residency, so we booked appointment for private doctor. Seems that you mentioned that my family can take permanent residency because I have one, right?
Yes, apply for the whole family at DVV.

gmarkoma

Post by gmarkoma » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:11 pm

Thanks, I just sent a complain, I did not know that we can do that. Meantime the status from waiting for the decision it was probably the same moment as I was checking every day and in one day everything was done.