Remote Job in US with a Finland RP

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
helloespoo

Post by helloespoo » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:44 pm

I am currently working in Finland with a FInnish RP (I have a Non-EU Passport). I have a job prospect in US and they are allowing me to work 100% remotely. My question is, Is it possible to still live in Finland with a Finnish RP and work for the US company ? Any information would be highly helpful.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: Remote Job in US with a Finland RP

Post by heretostay » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:44 pm

What kind of RP do you have and did you complete a degree in Finland?

helloespoo

Post by helloespoo » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:57 pm

heretostay wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:44 pm
What kind of RP do you have and did you complete a degree in Finland?
I have a Type A Finnish RP. No, I haven't done my degree from Finland. I moved to Finland on the basis of a Work Contract.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:23 pm

Are there any restrictions on your right to work? The codes on your permit you will have to look up. For instance you might be restricted to a specific field of work or even one employer.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:40 am

helloespoo wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:44 pm
I am currently working in Finland with a FInnish RP (I have a Non-EU Passport). I have a job prospect in US and they are allowing me to work 100% remotely. My question is, Is it possible to still live in Finland with a Finnish RP and work for the US company ? Any information would be highly helpful.
Unless they are willing to take care of Finnish employer duties, you would either have to find a company willing to act as the employer (which would then keep you entitled to a work based RP) or become an entrepreneur (after getting approved for the related permit).

helloespoo

Post by helloespoo » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:58 am

heretostay wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:23 pm
Are there any restrictions on your right to work? The codes on your permit you will have to look up. For instance you might be restricted to a specific field of work or even one employer.
Thank you for your reply, but as far as I understand I don't have any restriction for my work in terms of the field of work or employer.
betelgeuse wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:40 am
helloespoo wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:44 pm
Unless they are willing to take care of Finnish employer duties, you would either have to find a company willing to act as the employer (which would then keep you entitled to a work based RP) or become an entrepreneur (after getting approved for the related permit).
Ok thanks for the info. And if suppose I become dependant to my wife who also has a finish RP (Non-EU Passport) in that case do you think it would be possible work without the two things you mentioned ?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:28 pm

helloespoo wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:58 am
Ok thanks for the info. And if suppose I become dependant to my wife who also has a finish RP (Non-EU Passport) in that case do you think it would be possible work without the two things you mentioned ?
A family RP does also entitle you to do the work. However, it doesn’t change the situation in regards to taxes.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:10 pm

You are going to have a tax nightmare on your hands. Do your homework before accepting the job.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:21 pm

heretostay wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:10 pm
You are going to have a tax nightmare on your hands. Do your homework before accepting the job.
There’s the fallback of paying accountants or services like Ukko.

helloespoo

Post by helloespoo » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:37 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:28 pm
helloespoo wrote:
A family RP does also entitle you to do the work. However, it doesn’t change the situation in regards to taxes.
Yup I will probably hire a tax consultant to do the taxes. However does my tax bracket change in case I am working for a US company ?

heretostay wrote:
Yes, I totally get it. I am just wondering the taxes shouldn't increase too high as my projected salary would be somewhere between 15 to 20%.

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:57 pm

helloespoo wrote:
Yup I will probably hire a tax consultant to do the taxes. However does my tax bracket change in case I am working for a US company?
Your tax bracket will be determined based on your gross income not where your clients are in the world. On the plus side, you will not pay VAT because you are selling your service to a company located outside EU.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:37 am

Maaria wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:57 pm
helloespoo wrote:
Yup I will probably hire a tax consultant to do the taxes. However does my tax bracket change in case I am working for a US company?
Your tax bracket will be determined based on your gross income not where your clients are in the world.
Assuming we are talking about consultant work.

If "job" means employment things get complicated.
Maaria wrote:
On the plus side, you will not pay VAT
It doesn't actually make a difference for B2B, since VAT is charged on top of the price and then paid to Vero.
Maaria wrote:
because you are selling your service to a company located outside EU.
When selling to other EU countries no VAT has to be charged on B2B, but as said it doesn't matter.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:39 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:21 pm
heretostay wrote:
This won't help with the IRS side if the "job" is an employment.

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:03 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:39 am
betelgeuse wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:21 pm
heretostay wrote:
This won't help with the IRS side if the "job" is an employment.
He has to deal with IRS only, in other words, pay tax in the US if he is a US tax resident. What US tax resident means in practical term is anyone who is a citizen or permanent resident permit holder of the US regardless of where they are physically located, as well as if he is physically working in the US despite of not being a citizen or permanent resident. This is for him working for a US company as "job" or selling his service to US based business or individuals.

If he owns business in the US and has people physically working for him in the US he will also pay US tax on his business profit.

I his case, if above doesn't apply to him he shouldn't be paying any taxes to the US.

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:08 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:37 am
Maaria wrote:
On the plus side, you will not pay VAT
It doesn't actually make a difference for B2B, since VAT is charged on top of the price and then paid to Vero.
Maaria wrote:
because you are selling your service to a company located outside EU.
When selling to other EU countries no VAT has to be charged on B2B, but as said it doesn't matter.

What I mean is if he is selling his service to a customer (business or not), he doesn't collect VAT from them and therefore don't send any VAT to Vero.