Need an Advice

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Ramiz

Need an Advice

Post by Ramiz » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:11 am

I would like to know what is the requirements that is necessary to be able to work as a dentist in Finland? I am currently looking into moving to Finland after graduating. My only concern is the language barrier. Could English benefit? Any advice could help!

Need an Advice

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Need an Advice

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:37 pm

Ramiz wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:11 am
My only concern is the language barrier. Could English benefit?
You will need Finnish to talk with your patients.

Ramiz

Post by Ramiz » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:06 am

Thank you. I will check them out.

Ramiz

Post by Ramiz » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:08 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:37 pm
Ramiz wrote:
I am aware of that.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:27 am

Ramiz wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:08 am
FinlandGirl wrote:
Ramiz wrote:
I am aware of that.
If your Finnish is good enough that you can discuss treatments and pre-existing conditions and everything else with your patients in Finnish, then there is no language barrier to be concerned about.

Ramiz

Post by Ramiz » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:26 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:27 am
Ramiz wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:08 am
FinlandGirl wrote:

I am aware of that.
If your Finnish is good enough that you can discuss treatments and pre-existing conditions and everything else with your patients in Finnish, then there is no language barrier to be concerned about.
It’s easier said than done. It took me 3-5 years to speak English fluently so i could only say it will take me around that many years to speak finnish, which i would rather be working and earning an income during by that time.

Although it’s completely understandable. Someone should know at least 30% of that country’s language to be granted a job. It’s common sense and i understand that. I just saw an article where it said that there is a shortage of people working in the medical sector in Finland, especially in the smaller towns. Eg: Lapland.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:21 pm

Ramiz wrote:
I would like to know what is the requirements that is necessary to be able to work as a dentist in Finland? I am currently looking into moving to Finland after graduating. My only concern is the language barrier. Could English benefit?
Ramiz wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:26 pm
Although it’s completely understandable. Someone should know at least 30% of that country’s language to be granted a job. It’s common sense and i understand that. I just saw an article where it said that there is a shortage of people working in the medical sector in Finland, especially in the smaller towns. Eg: Lapland.
For a dentist it is not only about common sense, it is also about safety.

Who would you suggest should be legally liable if communication between a patient with limited English language skills and the dentist resulted in a misunderstanding causing incorrect treatment or death of the patient?
Ramiz wrote:
It took me 3-5 years to speak English fluently so i could only say it will take me around that many years to speak finnish, which i would rather be working and earning an income during by that time.
You should read the links you were already given.

You will not be granted a licence to practice as dentist in Finland without a language certificate.

Ramiz

Post by Ramiz » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:10 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:21 pm
Ramiz wrote:
I would like to know what is the requirements that is necessary to be able to work as a dentist in Finland? I am currently looking into moving to Finland after graduating. My only concern is the language barrier. Could English benefit?
Ramiz wrote:
For a dentist it is not only about common sense, it is also about safety.

Who would you suggest should be legally liable if communication between a patient with limited English language skills and the dentist resulted in a misunderstanding causing incorrect treatment or death of the patient?
Ramiz wrote:
It took me 3-5 years to speak English fluently so i could only say it will take me around that many years to speak finnish, which i would rather be working and earning an income during by that time.
You should read the links you were already given.

You will not be granted a licence to practice as dentist in Finland without a language certificate.
That’s unfortunate to hear. It is bad that Finland doesn’t have English as a second language because most of the international medical professionals will not bother applying to get a job in Finland because of it’s long process to learn a new language, and it’s time wasting learning a language that is not spoken outside of Finland. I would say it is about time Finland establishes English as a second language because from now to Another 20-30 years there will be a significant gap in the medical sector in Finland due to the country’s small population and people working in the field as of right now.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:14 am

Ramiz wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:10 am
I would say it is about time Finland establishes English as a second language
Finland has two official languages, Finnish and Swedish.
Legal requirement for most public sector jobs is that the applicant has to speak both since every Finn has the right to choose which language to use when communicating with the goverment.
Many people already speak English as third language, but your suggestion of making it a legal requirement to speak all 3 languages does sound a bit strict to me.
Ramiz wrote:
I just saw an article where it said that there is a shortage of people working in the medical sector in Finland, especially in the smaller towns. Eg: Lapland.
Unless they are working in tourism most of your patients in a smaller town in Lapland might speak only Finnish, depending on the exact location additionally a Sámi language.
Ramiz wrote:
because from now to Another 20-30 years there will be a significant gap in the medical sector in Finland due to the country’s small population and people working in the field as of right now.
Why would the size of the population matter?
Finland does not have a fundamental lack of education for the medical sector, and if the working conditions were improved it would remove the need to import people from third world countries as replacements for Finns with medical sector education moving abroad.

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:30 pm

Ramiz wrote:

That’s unfortunate to hear. It is bad that Finland doesn’t have English as a second language because most of the international medical professionals will not bother applying to get a job in Finland because of it’s long process to learn a new language, and it’s time wasting learning a language that is not spoken outside of Finland. I would say it is about time Finland establishes English as a second language because from now to Another 20-30 years there will be a significant gap in the medical sector in Finland due to the country’s small population and people working in the field as of right now.
Haha, people have been writing the same since this forum has been running, probably even longer. That is, at least, 20 years :D

It may surprise you to hear, but there is no real need for foreign workers in the medical, care, service or whatever sector, beyond a few niches. The "need" is for CHEAP(er) labor, as FG says. Say what you'll say about Finns if there are remote jobs with adequate compensation Finns will go for it. But they aren't interested in doing so when they can get better conditions elsewhere.

The foreign labor "need" is just a tool from employers unwilling to compete in market terms or give adequate compensation, essentially a pawn in labor negotiations.

Ramiz

Post by Ramiz » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:52 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:14 am
Ramiz wrote:
I would say it is about time Finland establishes English as a second language
Finland has two official languages, Finnish and Swedish.
Legal requirement for most public sector jobs is that the applicant has to speak both since every Finn has the right to choose which language to use when communicating with the goverment.
Many people already speak English as third language, but your suggestion of making it a legal requirement to speak all 3 languages does sound a bit strict to me.
Ramiz wrote:
I just saw an article where it said that there is a shortage of people working in the medical sector in Finland, especially in the smaller towns. Eg: Lapland.
Unless they are working in tourism most of your patients in a smaller town in Lapland might speak only Finnish, depending on the exact location additionally a Sámi language.
Ramiz wrote:
because from now to Another 20-30 years there will be a significant gap in the medical sector in Finland due to the country’s small population and people working in the field as of right now.
Why would the size of the population matter?
Finland does not have a fundamental lack of education for the medical sector, and if the working conditions were improved it would remove the need to import people from third world countries as replacements for Finns with medical sector education moving abroad.

I am sure that there is education in Finland, just like elsewhere. The question is that can they fund their higher education with a student payment such as £550.00 euros monthly given to them by the Finnish government? It’s impossible.

Read this article: https://www.stat.fi/til/vaenn/2015/vaen ... 01_en.html

Or this: https://finland.fi/facts-stats-and-info ... n-finland/

These articles came from the Finnish press outlet, and they are saying that there is a shortage in medical sector. I am sure you have read it previously.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:41 pm

Ramiz wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:52 am
I am sure that there is education in Finland, just like elsewhere. The question is that can they fund their higher education with a student payment such as £550.00 euros monthly given to them by the Finnish government? It’s impossible.
Finland is one of the few countries where university education is free of charge (for EU citizens), and there is definitely not a shortage of people who want to study.
Ramiz wrote:

These articles came from the Finnish press outlet, and they are saying that there is a shortage in medical sector.
"In recent years, hospitals all over Finland have actively encouraged Finnish expatriates in Sweden to return home."

Salaries for nurses are as low as you can imagine for a mostly female profession.
If Finnish hospitals would start paying reasonable salaries their nurses would no longer have a reason to emigrate to Sweden.

Ramiz

Post by Ramiz » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:17 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:41 pm
Ramiz wrote:
Finland is one of the few countries where university education is free of charge (for EU citizens), and there is definitely not a shortage of people who want to study.
Ramiz wrote:

These articles came from the Finnish press outlet, and they are saying that there is a shortage in medical sector.
"In recent years, hospitals all over Finland have actively encouraged Finnish expatriates in Sweden to return home."

Salaries for nurses are as low as you can imagine for a mostly female profession.
If Finnish hospitals would start paying reasonable salaries their nurses would no longer have a reason to emigrate to Sweden.
According to Google nurses in Finland typically earn around 4,530 EUR per month. Which is almost double amount of the average salary in Finland. Seems good to me, why are they leaving to Sweden?

Anyways, i still have sometime until i graduate, so i could still do some research on which country is more suitable to work in as a dentist. I have thought about working in England, Ireland, Scotland, Norway or France. These are the main countries i would be comfortable with, although i am aiming at English speaking countries such as Scotland which might be easier to immigrate to in
My position.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:07 pm

Ramiz wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:17 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:41 pm
Ramiz wrote:
Ramiz wrote:

According to Google nurses in Finland typically earn around 4,530 EUR per month. Which is almost double amount of the average salary in Finland.
You should stop blindly trusting anything that is written on a website.

Average salary in Finland is around 3500 Euro.
Average nurse salary is around 2500 Euro.