Advice for a student intending to job seek later on?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
S-wiirk

Post by S-wiirk » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 pm

Hi all, new to this forum — though I've browsed it in the past as a guest.

Essentially, I've recently moved to Finland (non-EU — from the U.S.) for a master's program (B type visa), and my hope is to find a job once I've completed it. I'm aware this is far from straightforward. My question to those more experienced than I am is this: is there anything you would recommend doing now, already, to ensure I'll have the best chances I can for finding a job once I graduate? Any advice or information is appreciated. I don't speak Finnish (but I am taking Finnish currently), and I don't have family here.

Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Advice for a student intending to job seek later on?

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:46 pm

S-wiirk wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 pm
Essentially, I've recently moved to Finland (non-EU — from the U.S.) for a master's program (B type visa), and my hope is to find a job once I've completed it. I'm aware this is far from straightforward. My question to those more experienced than I am is this: is there anything you would recommend doing now, already, to ensure I'll have the best chances I can for finding a job once I graduate?
A student job or internship is often the best option for getting into a company in your field.
S-wiirk wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 pm
Any advice or information is appreciated. I don't speak Finnish (but I am taking Finnish currently)
Unless your field is IT, being able to work in a Finnish-only environment is usually mandatory if you want to be eligible at all for any job in your field.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:09 am

What is your field of study? Are you looking for a jov in that or are you open to other things like entry level, minimum wage jobs? I would say being flexible is your biggest asset. Once you graduate you will have ability to get a residence permit based on work in any field.

adamsmitt

Post by adamsmitt » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:02 pm

Hi everyone. I am new to all this stuff. Is it hard in general to find a job for non resident? Thanks

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:16 pm

adamsmitt wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:02 pm
Hi everyone. I am new to all this stuff. Is it hard in general to find a job for non resident?
No.

If you have skills in high demand in the Finnish job market, and speak Finnish well enough to work in a Finnish-only environment, it is usually not very hard to find a job.

agroot

Post by agroot » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:20 am

Many of my colleagues are foreigners studied master here and started working either before or after graduate. Some of them started studying while in the job.

It's part of IT of course. I don't know about other industries.

adamsmitt

Post by adamsmitt » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:49 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:16 pm
adamsmitt wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:02 pm
Hi everyone. I am new to all this stuff. Is it hard in general to find a job for non resident?
No.

If you have skills in high demand in the Finnish job market, and speak Finnish well enough to work in a Finnish-only environment, it is usually not very hard to find a job.
Hi there. Thanks for your reply, it sounds optimistic.