Student family from outside UE

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
melinagarcia

Post by melinagarcia » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:19 am

Hola!
Hope you are all are having a nice day!

My are a family from Latin America, husband has been granted a scholarship for three years to do a bachelor degree in University of Turku.
We (husband, me and 2 years old baby) had been granted a temporary residence permit (B-permit) for two years. I know you cannot do much with that type of permit and we can't apply for any Kela benefit because we are not part of UE.

I have a lot of questions that I kindly ask for clarification if possible:

1. I'm a freelance graphic design, I have been working remotly for more than 10 years and my plan was keeping work like that for the first year or at least until I can learn a little Finnish and apply for part time jobs. Sadly I don't earn too much as a freelancer :( , so I don't know if I can apply for an ''entrepreneur residence'' because I think they ask you a certain amount of money minimum, but with our savings we think we can survive at least one year without working if things get difficult. So my question is: Do you know what is the process I need to do to be able to work legally as a freelance not being part of EU? I know I would need to pay taxes, If they allow me to pay the taxes according to the percentage I earn, which is not much, I would be more than happy to do so :D

2. Could be able to send my baby to daycare? I know they considerer give a place to working parents so if I work as a freelance from home they will considerer us to give us a place? How much will cost us? In some forum I read they might considerate us as a unemployment and daycare will be free of cost but not sure about this because (again) we are not part of UE.

3. When my husband applied for residency as a requirement they asked for health insurance that he bought as a student at swisscare for 200 euros, but when we (baby and me) applied for residence we were not asked to buy health insurance. My question is, How are we going to be able to use health services, get vaccinations and all? Can we go to public hospitals? or do I have to buy an international health insurance too? I see that they are around 2000 dollars each per year because we are not students. Or can we pay the public hospital in some way? to avoid having to pay for international insurance.

I hope I don't sound like I want to take advantage of government aid, I just want to be prepared to know how much it is going to cost us to live there.

Thanks for all your help and sorry if my english is not perfect!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: Student family from outside UE

Post by heretostay » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:43 am

Your permit will allow you an unlimited right to work. A student permit is limited but not family member of a student.

Get health insurance domestically here in Finland after arrival. Try OP bank. They are much cheaper and service is good. Without it you can still access private services and some public services.

As soon as you arrive, register your address with DVV in person. This will get you a municipality of residence and can help get services for you and your child. You might have to wait one year for some of them. After one year they consider you “permanently” at the address. But this is a separate thing than a residence permit.

melinagarcia

Post by melinagarcia » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:56 pm

heretostay wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:43 am
Your permit will allow you an unlimited right to work. A student permit is limited but not family member of a student.

Get health insurance domestically here in Finland after arrival. Try OP bank. They are much cheaper and service is good. Without it you can still access private services and some public services.

As soon as you arrive, register your address with DVV in person. This will get you a municipality of residence and can help get services for you and your child. You might have to wait one year for some of them. After one year they consider you “permanently” at the address. But this is a separate thing than a residence permit.
Thanks so much heretostay!

Yes, I know I can work full time but with any finish languague learn and in an small city I don't know if it will be possible for me to find a full time job soon, that's why I was hopping at least I can keep freelancing.

I will search for OP Bank. :)

Thank you!

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:35 pm

You are allowed to still do your freelancing with the permit that you have.