driving to finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
krapulassa

driving to finland

Post by krapulassa » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:59 pm

I want to drive from germany to finland.

will corona virus restrictions affect my ability to cross borders?

is it better to drive from sweden or estonia?

driving to finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

SecretCode

Re: driving to finland

Post by SecretCode » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:44 pm

Every border you cross will need extra consideration, and all the considerations will be local and will vary over time depending on how each country is responding to the covid19 case level.

So if you want to minimise the risks of things changing, why not take a car ferry direct from Germany to Finland? A quick look suggests there's one route, Travemünde to Helsinki with Finnlines. Then you will have to self-isolate or not following the same rules Finland has for air arrivals from Germany - which I think is currently not required but you may need to get tested on arrival.

If you want to minimise ferry time and maximise actual driving time (to see land along the way!) the Estonia route is best. The Tallinn to Helsinki car ferry is around 2h30m. But then you have to check Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia - the rules in each country for arrivals from all of the previous countries (most likely any country you have been in in the past 14 days). And I think Poland has a fairly high case level.

Denmark and Sweden and then Stockholm to Turku or Helsinki would obviously be a smaller number of countries to have to check.

According to Traffic light model to help in the assessment of risks associated with foreign travel - Infectious diseases and vaccinations - THL all the countries mentioned are "red" and
Ten days of independent quarantine is recommended for people arriving in Finland from red and grey countries.
A health care professional may also check the health status of those arriving in Finland from these countries based on a risk evaluation.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:26 pm

I have taken the ferry from Travemünde a few years ago, much easier than all that driving and it's two nights on the ferry so you spend a lot of the time asleep anyway.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:19 am

Without having a reason like family, work, business you will not be able to enter Finland unless you have a residence permit or Finnish passport.

Check the restrictions: https://www.raja.fi/en or https://reopen.europa.eu/