unemployed since corona and tax

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
winsiebunny

Post by winsiebunny » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:29 pm

I have been unemployed since the end of March. I have been trying to find a job and
I have been to a couple of job interviews and havent been able to succeed so far.
I used to have an OK income and I am getting unemployment money from my union. However, what I don't understand is that why do they have to charge so much tax out of the unemployment money. After paying 30 percent of the tax out of the unemployment, after paying the rent, there is barely enough money for food left.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

nimap

Re: unemployed since corona and tax

Post by nimap » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:34 pm

winsiebunny wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:29 pm
I have been unemployed since the end of March. I have been trying to find a job and
I have been to a couple of job interviews and havent been able to succeed so far.
I used to have an OK income and I am getting unemployment money from my union. However, what I don't understand is that why do they have to charge so much tax out of the unemployment money. After paying 30 percent of the tax out of the unemployment, after paying the rent, there is barely enough money for food left.
To get renewed tax card, you can ask for new tax card online from vero and send that to your unemployment fund. If your unemployment income is significantly low then you should be able to get new tax card with lower tax rate.

Lastly, if your expenditure is more than income then you can also ask for basic allowances from Kela.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:33 am

Benefits are taxed way more than regular income.

Aikon-

Post by Aikon- » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:58 pm

Like previous message says, benefits like unemployment money or pension is taxed different. In wage you can have työtulovähennys income reduction and it makes wage taxation lower. Its pure politics to make working less taxed to compare wellfare money or pension.

winsiebunny

Post by winsiebunny » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:14 am

Actually it was my own mistake, I thought we are not able to change the tax rate on the unemployment fund, it turns out we are actually able to. Thank you everyone, problem solved.