Advantages of citizenship over PR

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
betelgeuse

Re: Advantages of citizenship over PR

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:34 pm

krapulassa wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:19 pm
A life sentence in Finland means that you will be eventually released, however, I should point out a case in Norway.

Anders Breivik went on a to commit such an offence in Norway in 2011 to attack civilian population. In those days Norway's maximum sentence was 21 years for any crime. So basically he would have been released eventually. But Norway quickly changed laws to allow for a life sentence without the possibility of being released.
Such a change would be against the European Convention on Human Rights so I doubt it happened.

"No one shall be held guilty of any criminal offence on account of any act or omission which did not constitute a criminal offence under national or international law at the time when it was committed. Nor shall a heavier penalty be imposed than the one that was applicable at the time the criminal offence was committed."

https://www.echr.coe.int/documents/convention_eng.pdf

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

krapulassa

Post by krapulassa » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:48 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:29 pm
In Europe a life sentence without the possibility of parole is considered an inhuman punishment .
In any case to answer the original question, for a normal human being, the possibility of having their Finnish citizenship cancelled is close to zero.

ogiv

Post by ogiv » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:57 am

One more point where I think there could be a difference between a Finnish citizen and a PR is in buying property in Finland.

There was a recent change where a person who is not a citizen of Finland or EU countries must obtain a prior permission before buying property from, I guess, the ministry of defence.

https://www.defmin.fi/en/frontpage/topi ... e#d0386b5c

Do you know if a PR is exempt from obtaining this permission?

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:12 am

ogiv wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:57 am
One more point where I think there could be a difference between a Finnish citizen and a PR is in buying property in Finland.

There was a recent change where a person who is not a citizen of Finland or EU countries must obtain a prior permission before buying property
The bold words are wrong.
ogiv wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:57 am
from, I guess, the ministry of defence.

https://www.defmin.fi/en/frontpage/topi ... e#d0386b5c

Do you know if a PR is exempt from obtaining this permission?
You linked to the page that contains this information.