Intimate Relationship RP - Income Requirement

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
actualbunnyvolunteer

Post by actualbunnyvolunteer » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:51 pm

Hello.

I am a non-EU citizen, engaged to a Finnish citizen. I just applied for a residence permit on the basis of intimate relationship. I went to my local Finnish embassy, got my fingerprints taken, paid the application fee, and was given a customer number.

In my application form, for the question "How long do you intend to stay in Finland?", I filled in "4 months on this RP, but after I get married I will apply for RP based on family ties".

I did this because I barely have enough money in my bank account to satisfy the income requirement for a period of 6 months. Also, we're planning to get married about 3 weeks after my day of arrival in Finland anyway, so I can apply for the family ties RP --which has no income requirement-- after only about one month.

The lady who received my application at the embassy said this "4 months" thing was unusual, as first residence permits are normally given for a period of one year. Other than this small unusual detail, she said my application was great. I had all the documents to satisfy the requirements for this RP, and she didn't think Migri would ask for any additional documents from me or my fiancée.

Does anyone here have any information as to whether Migri ever gives out first residence permits for a duration of less than one year? Especially first residence permits on other grounds/on the basis of intimate relationship?

Is it possible that they will give me an RP that lasts only 4 months, as per my application and income? Or will they just give me a negative decision?

Thank you.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

krapulassa

Re: Intimate Relationship RP - Income Requirement

Post by krapulassa » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:27 pm

actualbunnyvolunteer wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:51 pm
I am a non-EU citizen, engaged to a Finnish citizen. I just applied for a residence permit on the basis of intimate relationship. I went to my local Finnish embassy, got my fingerprints taken, paid the application fee, and was given a customer number.
Resident permit can be for a period 3 months and for maximum of 3 years. Usually the minimum time a permit is given for 1 year. It would have been much easier to get married first and then approach the embassy for a permit on family ties.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:32 am

krapulassa wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:27 pm
Resident permit can be for a period 3 months and for maximum of 3 years. Usually the minimum time a permit is given for 1 year. It would have been much easier to get married first and then approach the embassy for a permit on family ties.
There are first permits for four years (but not relevant here).

"(4) An alien who has been a Finnish citizen, or who has at least one parent or grandparent who is or has been a Finnish citizen by birth, is issued with a fixed-term residence permit for four years, unless requested for a shorter period."

https://www.finlex.fi/en/laki/kaannokse ... 040301.pdf

Often there's no need for a permit shorter than 3 months. However, is there are any source saying that it couldn't be shorter than that?
actualbunnyvolunteer wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:51 pm

Does anyone here have any information as to whether Migri ever gives out first residence permits for a duration of less than one year? Especially first residence permits on other grounds/on the basis of intimate relationship?

Is it possible that they will give me an RP that lasts only 4 months, as per my application and income? Or will they just give me a negative decision?
"(1) Unless otherwise provided in this section, first fixed-term residence permits are issued for one year, however for no longer than the validity period for the travel document, unless requested for a shorter period."

actualbunnyvolunteer

Post by actualbunnyvolunteer » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:18 am

Thank you so much for your replies. I can stop worrying about this now.

I know getting married first and then applying for the family ties RP would've been easier. Going for the intimate relationship RP was our plan W.

We're a same-sex couple, and same-sex marriage is illegal in my home country. I also need a visa to enter Finland. We had planned for a wedding in a third country that allows same-sex marriage, that I could enter more easily, but everything changed when COVID-19 attacked, and all the countries closed their borders. Now, I can't even fly to Finland if I had a Schengen visa.
Last edited by actualbunnyvolunteer on Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.