RP on the basis of family ties and Form MP1

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Souverian

Post by Souverian » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:21 am

Hello friends,
I am planning to join my fiance in Finland to be married in April. I'm from the US. We are trying to figure out the RP application process for me, and whether or not I will have to go home in between applying for residency and the visa being approved (since it can take up to 8 months, according to the estimated timeline on Migri).
So, if I arrive in Finland on March 1st for example, and we get married April 10th and I apply for the visa in Finland (which Migri says I can do if I am married to a Finn), will I need to leave by May 29th (90 days)? Or does Form MP1 apply to me in this case? I've read through several posts on this forum talking about MP1, and one of them mentioned that the form is only for special cases-- for example, if I was a student and didn't have time to go through the whole return-home-and-apply process before my studies started. However, I can't find any info on Migri that implies that.

Does anyone here have any further info, or can you point me to an office that could answer my questions?

Much appreciated :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: RP on the basis of family ties and Form MP1

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:09 am

Souverian wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:21 am
Hello friends,
I am planning to join my fiance in Finland to be married in April. I'm from the US. We are trying to figure out the RP application process for me, and whether or not I will have to go home in between applying for residency and the visa being approved (since it can take up to 8 months, according to the estimated timeline on Migri).
So, if I arrive in Finland on March 1st for example, and we get married April 10th and I apply for the visa in Finland (which Migri says I can do if I am married to a Finn), will I need to leave by May 29th (90 days)? Or does Form MP1 apply to me in this case? I've read through several posts on this forum talking about MP1, and one of them mentioned that the form is only for special cases-- for example, if I was a student and didn't have time to go through the whole return-home-and-apply process before my studies started. However, I can't find any info on Migri that implies that.

Does anyone here have any further info, or can you point me to an office that could answer my questions?

Much appreciated :)
You will be applying for a residence permit – not a visa.

” (3) An alien may reside legally in the country while his or her application is being processed until there is a final decision on the matter or an enforceable decision on his or her removal from the country.”

https://www.finlex.fi/en/laki/kaannokse ... 040301.pdf

Souverian

Re: RP on the basis of family ties and Form MP1

Post by Souverian » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:14 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:09 am

You will be applying for a residence permit – not a visa.

” (3) An alien may reside legally in the country while his or her application is being processed until there is a final decision on the matter or an enforceable decision on his or her removal from the country.”

https://www.finlex.fi/en/laki/kaannokse ... 040301.pdf
Thank you so much! This is very helpful :)))