Headlights bulbs conversion

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Victor11

Post by Victor11 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:43 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if headlights bulbs conversion from Halogen to LED is legal in Finland ?
I have H7 bulbs inside projectors housing which they feels like a faint candle inside of them with Halogens
Thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Headlights bulbs conversion

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:00 am

Victor11 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:43 pm
Hi,
I was wondering if headlights bulbs conversion from Halogen to LED is legal in Finland ?
I have H7 bulbs inside projectors housing which they feels like a faint candle inside of them with Halogens
Thanks
Legal if the bulbs are E-approved ('E-hyväksytty'). From what I'm seeing, most of them are not (with a quick search I couldn't find any that are), and can be sold only with a note that they're illegal for road use.

Victor11

Post by Victor11 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:30 am

I see , thanks for clearing that

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:04 pm

Victor11 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:30 am
I would like to suggest eating more carrots... :lol: :lol: (vitamin A will keep your night vision better).

But seriously, the led H7 will not give the correct "beam" because the point of origin of the light is not the same with a halogen and a (multiple) LED bulb. Therefore the light beam would not be according to legal required specifications. LED headlight replacements need a different Mirror / projector so there could never exist a H7 replacement that would be certified: because than a normal H7 would not be working anymore correctly due to the changed mirror.

You could possibly change to Xenon gas discharge tube bulbs (if they are certified), these are High voltage gas discharge tubes with light coming from the same point of origin as a normal halogen bulb.

Victor11

Post by Victor11 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:11 am

It's well known that Halogen+projectors are absolutely terrible, driving in the suburbans I found myself forced to use high beams often "if no opposite traffic", and you can't install HID on any headlights as lenses in projectors are totally different than Halogen lenses plus it's expensive , I was only wondering about LEDs as they present cheaper option if an E approved ones found .. it's not that big deal really, it was just a general info question

Rudi10

Post by Rudi10 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:50 pm

I had to remove my led's at the last inspection. There are, to the best of my knowledge, none that's are ECE approved and even though mine were expensive Philips that closely match a halogen beam pattern they had to come out.
ECE 234 is the regulation you need to be looking at if you really want to know what's what..
Last edited by Rudi10 on Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TeddytheSpoon

Post by TeddytheSpoon » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:05 pm

Hi! Sorry to necro an old thread - but I think the question I have is relevant.

Headlamp conversions clearly need to be E-marked sealed units, but does the same apply to other external lights? I.e. can indicators, tail lights, brake lights etc be swapped to LED bulbs legally, or will they also need to be complete E-marked units?

cfb

Post by cfb » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:48 pm

I had a similar headlight issue a while back, and I get how frustrating it can be to have dim lights on the road. In Finland, the rules around switching to LED headlights can be a bit confusing. You want better visibility, but you also want to make sure you're following the law.

I recommend reaching out to local authorities or a trusted mechanic to get the lowdown on the regulations. Besides, you can checkout some reliable resources, such as this website. You want your new headlights to be bright enough for you without blinding other drivers or breaking any rules.
cfb