brexit: permanent resident status for brits

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
riku2

Post by riku2 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:26 am

Mirgi have updated their website to allow brits who previously had right of residence as an EU citizen to change their status to permanent residents under the withdrawal agreement. Applications opened on 1st October and you can apply here:

https://migri.fi/en/changing-status-of- ... -residence

I'm not sure on the timelines for these applications. The change of status is free of charge but needs a visit to the immigration service point. No appointments available in Helsinki for the rest of 2020.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Maaria

Re: brexit: permanent resident status for brits

Post by Maaria » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:50 am

Are you sure about the availability of appointments? I see so many just in October.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:24 pm

appointment availability varies depending on what you are applying for.
for residence permit / 5. permanent residence permit / helsinki there is not a single appointment available for the three months of booking slots they have available.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:57 pm

riku2 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:24 pm
for residence permit / 5. permanent residence permit / helsinki there is not a single appointment available for the three months of booking slots they have available.
You are supposed to book under EU Registration --> Brexit.

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:38 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:57 pm
riku2 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:24 pm
You are supposed to book under EU Registration --> Brexit.
Exactly! That's why I was confused, because I see so many appointments open.

DMC

Post by DMC » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:57 pm

riku2 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:26 am
Mirgi have updated their website to allow brits who previously had right of residence as an EU citizen to change their status to permanent residents under the withdrawal agreement.
Just a heads up for anyone who has been in Finland for as long as I have. It seemed wrong & illogical that (despite claims to the contrary by some govt employees) I should have to apply for this status change. I had a permanent residence permit before Finland joined the EU so why would my status have changed as a result of Brexit? The migri website does not make any allowance for that possibility so I wrote to them to query it. I now have an answer. They write:
migri wrote:You can apply for changing status of the right of permanent residence if you want to, but this is not required from you, because you do not currently reside in Finland under EU law but under Finnish national law.
I just thought this might be useful information for anyone else in this position. If there is anyone. Perhaps most people who were in Finland back then have either left or become Finnish citizens.

bm50
AKA cockney

Post by bm50 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:44 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I'm still not sure about my status, moved to Finland in 1994, have a permanent residence permit dated 2005 but must have had permanent residence before that date.
I still have to change my status due to Brexit?

DMC

Post by DMC » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:24 pm

I'm not sure, but I suspect things are a little different for you.

Going from memory, and it is a long time ago, I think I got an initial temporary residence permit which lasted a year (or 2 years?). After that I got a permanent residence permit. If things were the same for you then you would have got a temporary permit in 1994 but by the time you were entitled to a permanent permit a year or two later Finland would have been in the EU. I don't know how that would have affected your status. Maybe you are a borderline case. I suggest you write to migri and ask them for a ruling.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:55 pm

bm50 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:44 pm
Hi,

Thanks for the information. I'm still not sure about my status, moved to Finland in 1994, have a permanent residence permit dated 2005 but must have had permanent residence before that date.
I still have to change my status due to Brexit?
You need to do something unless you are in possession of a currently valid card that is issued under domestic legislation or the withdrawal agreement. For domestic status this might be getting a new card as proof.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:19 pm

I am pleased to say that slightly less than six months after visiting the immigration office to give my fingerprints and photo I have been granted permanent resident status. I already had the "EU citizen’s right of permanent residence in Finland" so conversion was free .. but still took almost six months.
Their page about estimated processing times does not give the times for processing the snappily named "Right of residence for British citizen under the withdrawal agreement" but I did phone them and after 30 minutes on hold they stated it was six months .. so they have met their target... although I am yet to receive the residence permit card in the post.