Execution of Wills

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Rudi10

Execution of Wills

Post by Rudi10 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:33 pm

A Finnish friend's mother recently died and my friend was the sole beneficiary of the estate. The family had lived in Germany and Sweden and well as Finland of course, and apparently had to provide documentation regarding this in order for the will to be executed. Church records from Finland covered where they had lived in Finland and I believe in Sweden. Getting any documentation from Germany was impossible since she couldn't remember the address from when she was very young and they are still trying to resolve the issue.

My question is whether, if an EU citizen resident in Finland and married to a Finnish national dies, does the same information regarding where in Europe that person has lived over the years also need to be provided?

Execution of Wills

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Execution of Wills

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:40 pm

Rudi10 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:33 pm
A Finnish friend's mother recently died and my friend was the sole beneficiary of the estate. The family had lived in Germany and Sweden and well as Finland of course, and apparently had to provide documentation regarding this in order for the will to be executed. Church records from Finland covered where they had lived in Finland and I believe in Sweden. Getting any documentation from Germany was impossible since she couldn't remember the address from when she was very young and they are still trying to resolve the issue.

My question is whether, if an EU citizen resident in Finland and married to a Finnish national dies, does the same information regarding where in Europe that person has lived over the years also need to be provided?
The documentation needs to be provided for everyone who needs estate inventory (perunkirjoitus) so yes.

Rudi10

Post by Rudi10 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:52 pm

OK thanks

SeanGMac

Post by SeanGMac » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:16 am

May I ask if this has been resolved or whether anyone from the UK has had this experience?

If it is not possible to provide the unbroken chain since aged 15 what do you do?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:32 am

SeanGMac wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:16 am
May I ask if this has been resolved or whether anyone from the UK has had this experience?

If it is not possible to provide the unbroken chain since aged 15 what do you do?
You include letters like this.

https://finlandabroad.fi/documents/2497 ... 6472176361

In such a case it’s useful to certify the shareholders with DVV.

https://dvv.fi/en/certification-of-the- ... ntory-deed

SeanGMac

Post by SeanGMac » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:27 pm

Thank you - that is very helpful.

SeanGMac

Post by SeanGMac » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:11 pm

I have been looking into this matter further. There is an example template online which may be useful to others:

https://www.lakiopas.com/asiakirjamallit/perukirja/

One interesting thing about this example is how little reference there is to the person's life history. I also have a copy of my late mother-in-law's perukirja and, likewise, there is no account to speak of therein. I am wondering if this "requirement" applies only to foreign nationals? I have read through Vero's information on the matter and I can't actually find any reference to this requirement there either.

Could it be that this "requirement" is only in the cases where their is no Last Will & Testament? Or does it only apply to "foreigners"?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:43 pm

SeanGMac wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:11 pm
I have been looking into this matter further. There is an example template online which may be useful to others:

https://www.lakiopas.com/asiakirjamallit/perukirja/

One interesting thing about this example is how little reference there is to the person's life history. I also have a copy of my late mother-in-law's perukirja and, likewise, there is no account to speak of therein. I am wondering if this "requirement" applies only to foreign nationals? I have read through Vero's information on the matter and I can't actually find any reference to this requirement there either.
From the template: “
- sukuselvitykset ja virkatodistukset vainajasta ja pesän
osakkaista”
SeanGMac wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:11 pm
Could it be that this "requirement" is only in the cases where their is no Last Will & Testament? Or does it only apply to "foreigners"?
No and no.