Legal advices to deal with noisy neighbor

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Vic09

Post by Vic09 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:47 pm

I moved in a 1 bedroom apartment (in Espoo) about 2 months ago. Just few days after I moved in, my downstairs neighbor has constantly made noise. Stomping (all the time), door slamming (not all the time, but sometimes after 23:00 P.M. can be quite annoying), hammering and sawing (they have done that for the whole night 3 times so far).

When the first time they were busy with hammering at late night, I didn't (voice) record the noise. The second time, in the beginning of Feb, they were hammering, moving stuff, slamming door from late night until next day 7ish in the morning. I recorded, spoke to landlady and my landlady forwarded my letter to the housing company. (P.S. Ive been told by my landlady that the downstairs neighbors are from an Asian country). After that, the downstairs neighbor did quiet a lot, although I can still hear their heavy foot steps, drop stuff on the floor, but I can take it. The third time, which just happened last night, they were hammering, sawing, dropping stuff on the floor, talking loud and slamming door (just once) from about 22:00 P.M. until 13:00 ish (today after lunch time).... I sent video and second letter to my landlady in the morning and she immediately contacted housing company. Surprisingly, the housing company manager told my landlady that the owner of the downstairs unit is a Finn and this unit has only one owner. And this person also works for housing company. Basically, the manager means if we make a noise complaint, the situation might turns to be a bit complicate. Or, I have to be patient, wait until the downstairs neighbor(s) make(s) loud noise again (meanwhile if other neighbors also make the same complaint), they will involve and take steps further. Fair enough, but I really don't want to worry about when are they going to make another unwelcomed "surprise" at night again.

The person/people live(s) at downstairs is a Finn or an Asian couple/roommates is not my business. I only care about/ hope this mystery downstairs neighbor(s) stop doing such annoying work at night (if (s)he/they really follow the noise law and respect other neighbors' rest time).

My question is: Except for contacting housing company is there any other ways I can get legal advice? Such as make noise complaint to local council or talk to citizen advice bureau. Not sure if in Finland has similar services where I can approach to? I don't want to call cops unless the situation is really out of control. Thanks.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Legal advices to deal with noisy neighbor

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:19 am

Vic09 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:47 pm
Except for contacting housing company is there any other ways I can get legal advice? Such as make noise complaint to local council or talk to citizen advice bureau. Not sure if in Finland has similar services where I can approach to? I don't want to call cops unless the situation is really out of control. Thanks.
First and foremost what the noisy neighbors are doing is breaking the housing company rules. The next time there's noise in odd hours, go ring the doorbell and tell them to turn it down (if you haven't done that already). It is the housing company that will eventually have to be convinced to take action, so keep making notes and sending them to the housing company, and ask your other neighbors to do the same, if they find the noise is disturbing them. That way, if there's no change, a clear enough pattern emerges that the tenant is not following the rules. The whole process of the housing company sending warnings and legally forcing the tenant out will take several months.

Taking legal action on your own behalf is not a realistic option, there's really nothing you could possibly gain, much rather just move out if it comes to that.

Vic09

Post by Vic09 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:46 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:19 am
Vic09 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:47 pm
Except for contacting housing company is there any other ways I can get legal advice? Such as make noise complaint to local council or talk to citizen advice bureau. Not sure if in Finland has similar services where I can approach to? I don't want to call cops unless the situation is really out of control. Thanks.
First and foremost what the noisy neighbors are doing is breaking the housing company rules. The next time there's noise in odd hours, go ring the doorbell and tell them to turn it down (if you haven't done that already). It is the housing company that will eventually have to be convinced to take action, so keep making notes and sending them to the housing company, and ask your other neighbors to do the same, if they find the noise is disturbing them. That way, if there's no change, a clear enough pattern emerges that the tenant is not following the rules. The whole process of the housing company sending warnings and legally forcing the tenant out will take several months.

Taking legal action on your own behalf is not a realistic option, there's really nothing you could possibly gain, much rather just move out if it comes to that.
Much appreciated. I will follow your suggestion if the same situation happens again.

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:27 am

Shove some hexbags with cloves and some weird ass spices in their mailbox. :twisted:
Image Image