Private Ultrasound providers with reasonable cost?

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
kayseapea

Post by kayseapea » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:55 pm

Hello! I visited neuvola and booked a first ultrasound for 12 weeks. However, my partner and I would be willing to pay for an extra ultrasound now at 8 weeks just for peace of mind. The services I've found seems quite expensive and include more than we need. Has anyone done this or know of a provider that could do it for less than 150 euros?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

NukkuMatti

Re: Private Ultrasound providers with reasonable cost?

Post by NukkuMatti » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:09 pm

kayseapea wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:55 pm
Hello! I visited neuvola and booked a first ultrasound for 12 weeks. However, my partner and I would be willing to pay for an extra ultrasound now at 8 weeks just for peace of mind. The services I've found seems quite expensive and include more than we need. Has anyone done this or know of a provider that could do it for less than 150 euros?
Is it the first ultra? did you not get one first to confirm pregnancy?
This first confirmation of pregnancy is mostly done (statistics) in week 4-5, so why then another at 8? The baby will be 2cm big (small) at 8 weeks and no conclusions can be made about it's health other than: 1 undefined or 2 wrong.

That said, in The Netherlands the next one is standard at 8 weeks.
The 12 weeks one is important regarding the measurement of the neck fold (part of screening for down syndrome) and the time needed to decide in case of suspected down syndrome to do a baby DNA test for confirmation of results. All important in regards to a possible decision for an abortion in case of down syndrome before or latest at 15 weeks, a possibility that is provided in Finland within the normal public health system.
After this all becomes more complicated...both emotionally physically and legally.

In this particular case it could be that the waiting time is that long that there is no free space / available time slot, before 12 weeks.

As said, the 12 weeks is the most important anyway, after this, the baby only grows (all parts are already there).
After that, the 20 weeks ultra is the most important to check for other possible birth defects.

If you still want to have it done with 8 weeks anyway, you can call any private clinic and ask them for their price.(they will all be about the same price).or you ask Neuvola and explain that you are hyper stressed about the baby and you would want to have an ultra at 8 to lower your stress to acceptable levels with the reasoning that stress is bad for the development of the baby...they might give you the extra at 8 anyway..if you have a good convincing story for the reasons.

Good luck and congratulations..

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:48 pm

Look for a private Neuvola in your area.

StellaS

Post by StellaS » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:05 am

NukkuMatti wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:09 pm
kayseapea wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:55 pm
Is it the first ultra? did you not get one first to confirm pregnancy?
This first confirmation of pregnancy is mostly done (statistics) in week 4-5, so why then another at 8? The baby will be 2cm big (small) at 8 weeks and no conclusions can be made about it's health other than: 1 undefined or 2 wrong.

That said, in The Netherlands the next one is standard at 8 weeks.
The 12 weeks one is important regarding the measurement of the neck fold (part of screening for down syndrome) and the time needed to decide in case of suspected down syndrome to do a baby DNA test for confirmation of results. All important in regards to a possible decision for an abortion in case of down syndrome before or latest at 15 weeks, a possibility that is provided in Finland within the normal public health system.
After this all becomes more complicated...both emotionally physically and legally.

In this particular case it could be that the waiting time is that long that there is no free space / available time slot, before 12 weeks.

As said, the 12 weeks is the most important anyway, after this, the baby only grows (all parts are already there).
After that, the 20 weeks ultra is the most important to check for other possible birth defects.

If you still want to have it done with 8 weeks anyway, you can call any private clinic and ask them for their price.(they will all be about the same price).or you ask Neuvola and explain that you are hyper stressed about the baby and you would want to have an ultra at 8 to lower your stress to acceptable levels with the reasoning that stress is bad for the development of the baby...they might give you the extra at 8 anyway..if you have a good convincing story for the reasons.

Good luck and congratulations..
I'm not sure when you were last pregnant in Finland, but the two ultrasounds you get through neuvola are around week 12 and 20.

inkku

Post by inkku » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:43 pm

I have no knowledge about ultrasound but google gave me this lab:
https://www.synlab.fi/palvelut/ultraaanitutkimukset/
if you are covered by Kela, you will get some reimbursement.

Another one:
https://perhe-arte.fi/hinnasto-vanha/helsinki-hinnasto/

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:55 pm

StellaS wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:05 am

I'm not sure when you were last pregnant in Finland, but the two ultrasounds you get through neuvola are around week 12 and 20.
My youngest is in daycare, so not that long... 8)

I am not sure to whom you respond, to OP or me, but basically you say exactly the same as I did... I just added the comparison with The Netherlands, where the 8 weeks is included in the basic social health insurance and here in Finland only if problems might/could be suspected, or after certain age or other compelling reasons,... as I said why would you take it anyway when the embryo is just 2cm big and you just are able to see some limbs and some movement?

So when do you get the ultrasound imaging that confirms you are pregnant? That one is not from neuvola but regular doctor to confirm you becoming client of neuvola, so the first from neuvola is actually the second ultra.

You cannot tell me that terveysasema lets you wait for 3 months before confirming you are pregnant! :wink: